DVD Burner Query

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by John, Feb 3, 2005.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hello.

    I have just installed a Pioneer 109 DVD Recorder in my system and just
    have a quick question.

    I have the Nero 5.5 Burning software, however when I go into the
    wizard the Burn DVD option is always blanked out as well as the DD CD(
    whatever that is double density CD?), and the only choice is to create
    a CD-R. At first I always thought this was because I only had a
    CD-RW, but now I have a DVD-RW drive it is still blanked out so I am
    assuming that it is the software that can't do it and I would need to
    upgrade?

    My second question is can I drag and drop video files onto a DVD-RW or
    DVD-R disc? Or do I need to actually burn the DVD-R/-RW? I believe
    the files I want to save to DVD are all Mpeg2 files.

    I need to start copying them because I have a 110GB main Hard Drive
    and it only has 20GB left. 60GB of that is all video I want to keep.

    One of the files is around 7GB in size so I am going to need to buy a
    Dual Layer Disc for that file, however the rest are all below the
    4.7GB so I can transfer a lot of the larger ones onto regular
    DVD-R/-RWs.

    Thanks very much for any help with all this. Hopefully I will also be
    able to import some video from my camcorder as well and burn some home
    movies to DVD.

    John

    John, Feb 3, 2005

  2. John

    theyak Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hello.
    >
    > I have just installed a Pioneer 109 DVD Recorder in my system and just
    > have a quick question.
    >
    > I have the Nero 5.5 Burning software, however when I go into the
    > wizard the Burn DVD option is always blanked out as well as the DD CD(
    > whatever that is double density CD?), and the only choice is to create
    > a CD-R. At first I always thought this was because I only had a
    > CD-RW, but now I have a DVD-RW drive it is still blanked out so I am
    > assuming that it is the software that can't do it and I would need to
    > upgrade?
    >
    > My second question is can I drag and drop video files onto a DVD-RW or
    > DVD-R disc? Or do I need to actually burn the DVD-R/-RW? I believe
    > the files I want to save to DVD are all Mpeg2 files.
    >
    > I need to start copying them because I have a 110GB main Hard Drive
    > and it only has 20GB left. 60GB of that is all video I want to keep.
    >
    > One of the files is around 7GB in size so I am going to need to buy a
    > Dual Layer Disc for that file, however the rest are all below the
    > 4.7GB so I can transfer a lot of the larger ones onto regular
    > DVD-R/-RWs.
    >
    > Thanks very much for any help with all this. Hopefully I will also be
    > able to import some video from my camcorder as well and burn some home
    > movies to DVD.
    >
    > John

    Upgrade your Nero to the latest version.

    www.ahead.de

    theyak, Feb 3, 2005

  3. John

    Octavian Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > Hello.
    >
    > I have just installed a Pioneer 109 DVD Recorder in my system and just
    > have a quick question.
    >
    > I have the Nero 5.5 Burning software, however when I go into the
    > wizard the Burn DVD option is always blanked out as well as the DD CD(
    > whatever that is double density CD?), and the only choice is to create
    > a CD-R. At first I always thought this was because I only had a
    > CD-RW, but now I have a DVD-RW drive it is still blanked out so I am
    > assuming that it is the software that can't do it and I would need to
    > upgrade?

    I'm not sure what would be the lowest (oldest) version of Nero that
    would work for you, but 5.5 is surely out of the question. Try 6.x,
    preferably a very recent version such as 6.3 or higher.

    Octavian, Feb 3, 2005
  4. John

    John Guest

    On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 18:15:01 -0500, A strange species called "Octavian"
    <> wrote:

    >"John" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello.
    >>
    >> I have just installed a Pioneer 109 DVD Recorder in my system and just
    >> have a quick question.
    >>
    >> I have the Nero 5.5 Burning software, however when I go into the
    >> wizard the Burn DVD option is always blanked out as well as the DD CD(
    >> whatever that is double density CD?), and the only choice is to create
    >> a CD-R. At first I always thought this was because I only had a
    >> CD-RW, but now I have a DVD-RW drive it is still blanked out so I am
    >> assuming that it is the software that can't do it and I would need to
    >> upgrade?

    >I'm not sure what would be the lowest (oldest) version of Nero that
    >would work for you, but 5.5 is surely out of the question. Try 6.x,
    >preferably a very recent version such as 6.3 or higher.

    Cheers

    I was just about to buy the upgrade tonight but it is asking for my
    serial number for the version I have which I can't find, so I'll have
    to have a good look at the weekend for it.

    John

    John, Feb 3, 2005
  5. John

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    John wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > I have just installed a Pioneer 109 DVD Recorder in my system and just
    > have a quick question.
    >
    > I have the Nero 5.5 Burning software, however when I go into the
    > wizard the Burn DVD option is always blanked out as well as the DD CD(
    > whatever that is double density CD?), and the only choice is to create
    > a CD-R. At first I always thought this was because I only had a
    > CD-RW, but now I have a DVD-RW drive it is still blanked out so I am
    > assuming that it is the software that can't do it and I would need to
    > upgrade?
    >
    > My second question is can I drag and drop video files onto a DVD-RW or
    > DVD-R disc? Or do I need to actually burn the DVD-R/-RW? I believe
    > the files I want to save to DVD are all Mpeg2 files.
    >
    > I need to start copying them because I have a 110GB main Hard Drive
    > and it only has 20GB left. 60GB of that is all video I want to keep.
    >
    > One of the files is around 7GB in size so I am going to need to buy a
    > Dual Layer Disc for that file, however the rest are all below the
    > 4.7GB so I can transfer a lot of the larger ones onto regular
    > DVD-R/-RWs.
    >
    > Thanks very much for any help with all this. Hopefully I will also be
    > able to import some video from my camcorder as well and burn some home
    > movies to DVD.

    Are you running XP with SP2, and logged on other than as full
    Administrator rights?

    I would certainly upgrade to a later version of Nero, and also download
    and run Nero BurnRights if the above applies.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Feb 4, 2005
  6. John

    quietguy Guest

    Doesn't it show up when you click on the 'Nero' logo, and then choose
    'serial numbers' - does on my version

    David

    quietguy, Feb 4, 2005
  7. John

    John Guest

    On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 19:39:11 +1100, A strange species called quietguy
    <> wrote:

    >Doesn't it show up when you click on the 'Nero' logo, and then choose
    >'serial numbers' - does on my version

    Which version do you have? When I click the logo it simply opens the
    program?

    There is only an option within the help menu to enter a new serial
    number, but nothing to see the current one?

    I have Nero 5.5.

    I have actually found the CD now, however there is no documentation
    with it that says the serial number either.

    John

    John, Feb 4, 2005
  8. John

    John Guest

    On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 11:25:06 +0800, A strange species called Oldus
    Fartus <> wrote:

    >John wrote:
    >> Hello.
    >>
    >> I have just installed a Pioneer 109 DVD Recorder in my system and just
    >> have a quick question.
    >>
    >> I have the Nero 5.5 Burning software, however when I go into the
    >> wizard the Burn DVD option is always blanked out as well as the DD CD(
    >> whatever that is double density CD?), and the only choice is to create
    >> a CD-R. At first I always thought this was because I only had a
    >> CD-RW, but now I have a DVD-RW drive it is still blanked out so I am
    >> assuming that it is the software that can't do it and I would need to
    >> upgrade?
    >>
    >> My second question is can I drag and drop video files onto a DVD-RW or
    >> DVD-R disc? Or do I need to actually burn the DVD-R/-RW? I believe
    >> the files I want to save to DVD are all Mpeg2 files.
    >>
    >> I need to start copying them because I have a 110GB main Hard Drive
    >> and it only has 20GB left. 60GB of that is all video I want to keep.
    >>
    >> One of the files is around 7GB in size so I am going to need to buy a
    >> Dual Layer Disc for that file, however the rest are all below the
    >> 4.7GB so I can transfer a lot of the larger ones onto regular
    >> DVD-R/-RWs.
    >>
    >> Thanks very much for any help with all this. Hopefully I will also be
    >> able to import some video from my camcorder as well and burn some home
    >> movies to DVD.
    >>

    >Are you running XP with SP2, and logged on other than as full
    >Administrator rights?

    No. I have Service Pack One, and it's just me as admin on the system.

    >I would certainly upgrade to a later version of Nero, and also download
    >and run Nero BurnRights if the above applies.

    I am definitely going to get version 6 reloaded, however I'm trying to
    find out the serial number for the 5.5 version I currently have
    because it will cost slightly less for the upgrade.

    Can't seem to find out what my serial number is though?

    Cheers

    John

    John, Feb 4, 2005
  9. John

    Biz Guest

    As I wrote previously, the S/N is stored in the registry since you have 5.5
    already installed....

    Biz, Feb 4, 2005
  10. John

    quietguy Guest

    Hi John

    I meant the Logo on the screen that comes up after you open the program -
    though I am using v 6.xxx

    DAvid

    quietguy, Feb 5, 2005
  11. John

    Nobody Guest

    If you are using Nero 5.x you will have to look through the
    registry to find your serial number. If you are using Nero 6 you
    can open Nero SmartStart, go to the "Product Center" (the little
    "flame" button in the bottom right) and click on the Serial Numbers
    tab - at least with Nero 6 Ultra Edition, but I see no reason why
    any Verion 6.x with SmartStart would not work this way.

    Posted with NewsLeecher v1.0 Final
    * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
    * http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

    Nobody, Feb 5, 2005