    I am seeing all sorts of burners on ebay for around 80 bucks but I really dont
    have a clue what Im looking at.

    Thanks,

    Reid1boys, Jan 4, 2005

  2. Hi there! I love the "Pioneer DVR-108 16X Double Layer DVD Burner".
    This is the OEM (original equipment manufacturer) version of the
    Pioneer DVR-A08 drive.
    OEM versions are the same hardware, but come come in a plain box,
    usually without bundled software and sell at a great discount to retail
    versions. @ $78 it is the latest drive at a bargain price. Directron is
    a reliable company that I have done business with for years here in
    Houston. Double layer means that it can read and write DVD discs that
    have two storage layers (double capacity). The drive is fast, handles
    DVD+rw or DVD-rw disks ( the 2 main standards ). It doesn't handle DVD
    RAM disks, which are seldom used, except by some DVD video camcorders
    or corporate IT departments. If by chance you needed DVD RAM support,
    Samsung makes "Super-Multi Format" drives that do all 3. The DVR-108
    has been perfect for all uses (CD,DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+RW, etc..). I've
    had it for @ 3 months. As far as internal vs. external, external is
    more expensive, but you can move it between computers... say office and
    home for example.

    As for speeds, the latest drives support faster speeds than the discs
    currently available on the market. So, buying the fastest burner now
    will insure good use for several years until the next generation of
    storage comes along, perhaps "BLU-RAY" disc, or something else of much
    greater capacity.

    Check it out at : http://www.directron.com/dvr108.html

    See manufacturer site at :
    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_17573091_141666603,00.html

    Good Luck! Feel free to ask me any more questions....

    Reid1boys wrote:
    > What kinds of things should I be looking for in purchasing a dvd

    burner??

    Texas Tech Geek, Jan 4, 2005