    there was a "IRQ Timeout." What does IRQ mean, and is it something I
    should worry about?

    Thanks!

    gerrypotter, Dec 29, 2005

  2. gerrypotter

    Trax Guest

    "gerrypotter" <> wrote:

    |>When I ran the diagnostics with the CD-Rom, it told me that
    |>there was a "IRQ Timeout." What does IRQ mean, and is it something I
    |>should worry about?

    Basically it's asking the system to be recognized so it can get
    computer time and not being seen.

    --
    Puzzle break.
    http://219.101.39.52/~nanahiro/main.html

    Trax, Dec 29, 2005

  3. gerrypotter

    The Shed Guest

    "gerrypotter" <> wrote in message
    >I own a Dell Domension desktop with Windows XP MCE 2005. I have already
    > talked to tech support, and this is for a second opinion. I was
    > hearing a grinding type sound from either my slim-line (laptop size
    > cd-rom drive) DVD Burner, or hard drive. When I performed a 3 hour
    > hard drive diagnostics, as reccommended by dell, there were no
    > problems. When I ran the diagnostics with the CD-Rom, it told me that
    > there was a "IRQ Timeout." What does IRQ mean, and is it something I
    > should worry about?
    >
    > Thanks!

    All the diagnostics you can run will not inform you of a dry bearing.
    If it was the hard drive--should have been screaming like a banshee
    after a 3 hr diagnostic.
    If it is the cd/dvd drive the sound will only occur if there is a disc
    in the drive and it is in use.
    My money is on a dirty cooling fan (case or power supply) .
    Do you get the same sound if you place the box on a piece of towelling
    etc.
    open the box and listen--fingers out tho!!-----is it all dusty in
    there?----get a can of compressed air and blow it out----DO NOT USE THE
    VACUUM CLEANER.

    The Shed, Dec 29, 2005
  4. The Shed wrote:
    > "gerrypotter" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I own a Dell Domension desktop with Windows XP MCE 2005. I have already
    >>talked to tech support, and this is for a second opinion. I was
    >>hearing a grinding type sound from either my slim-line (laptop size
    >>cd-rom drive) DVD Burner, or hard drive. When I performed a 3 hour
    >>hard drive diagnostics, as reccommended by dell, there were no
    >>problems. When I ran the diagnostics with the CD-Rom, it told me that
    >>there was a "IRQ Timeout." What does IRQ mean, and is it something I
    >>should worry about?
    >>
    >>Thanks!
    >>

    > All the diagnostics you can run will not inform you of a dry bearing.
    > If it was the hard drive--should have been screaming like a banshee
    > after a 3 hr diagnostic.
    > If it is the cd/dvd drive the sound will only occur if there is a disc
    > in the drive and it is in use.
    > My money is on a dirty cooling fan (case or power supply) .
    > Do you get the same sound if you place the box on a piece of towelling
    > etc.
    > open the box and listen--fingers out tho!!-----is it all dusty in
    > there?----get a can of compressed air and blow it out----DO NOT USE THE
    > VACUUM CLEANER.

    Not to start up an old argument, but I've read that over and over about
    not using the vac. But the last 2,000 computers I vacuumed out didn't
    complain.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Dec 29, 2005
  5. gerrypotter

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:43b3594d$0$17785$,
    Rôgêr spewed forth:
    > The Shed wrote:
    >> "gerrypotter" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> I own a Dell Domension desktop with Windows XP MCE 2005. I have
    >>> already talked to tech support, and this is for a second opinion. I was
    >>> hearing a grinding type sound from either my slim-line
    >>> (laptop size cd-rom drive) DVD Burner, or hard drive. When I
    >>> performed a 3 hour hard drive diagnostics, as reccommended by dell,
    >>> there were no problems. When I ran the diagnostics with the CD-Rom,
    >>> it told me that there was a "IRQ Timeout." What does IRQ mean, and
    >>> is it something I should worry about?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>

    >> All the diagnostics you can run will not inform you of a dry bearing.
    >> If it was the hard drive--should have been screaming like a banshee
    >> after a 3 hr diagnostic.
    >> If it is the cd/dvd drive the sound will only occur if there is a
    >> disc in the drive and it is in use.
    >> My money is on a dirty cooling fan (case or power supply) .
    >> Do you get the same sound if you place the box on a piece of
    >> towelling etc.
    >> open the box and listen--fingers out tho!!-----is it all dusty in
    >> there?----get a can of compressed air and blow it out----DO NOT USE
    >> THE VACUUM CLEANER.

    > Not to start up an old argument, but I've read that over and over
    > about not using the vac. But the last 2,000 computers I vacuumed out
    > didn't complain.

    Same - I've used the vacuum, without any problems. And I've used compressed
    air - not the canned kind, but out of a commercial duty air compressor.
    NOTE: there was a moisture filter on that air line - don't take your
    computer down to the local gas station to blow it out <g>!

    I just did that today. And it brought back memories of many years ago doing
    a system that way. It was an /old/ Compaq luggable PC (not XT, the 8088 4.77
    MHz PC model!). They didn't do CMOS for BIOS settings back then - everything
    was set by jumpers and DIP switches. Well, the air pressure was up much too
    high. And it blew the caps off the jumpers! It took me hours to get all
    those stinking jumpers figured out and get that blasted (pun intended)
    machine running again :)

    Toolman Tim, Dec 29, 2005
  6. gerrypotter

    old jon Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > The Shed wrote:
    >> "gerrypotter" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I own a Dell Domension desktop with Windows XP MCE 2005. I have already
    >>>talked to tech support, and this is for a second opinion. I was
    >>>hearing a grinding type sound from either my slim-line (laptop size
    >>>cd-rom drive) DVD Burner, or hard drive. When I performed a 3 hour
    >>>hard drive diagnostics, as reccommended by dell, there were no
    >>>problems. When I ran the diagnostics with the CD-Rom, it told me that
    >>>there was a "IRQ Timeout." What does IRQ mean, and is it something I
    >>>should worry about?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks!
    >>>

    >> All the diagnostics you can run will not inform you of a dry bearing.
    >> If it was the hard drive--should have been screaming like a banshee after
    >> a 3 hr diagnostic.
    >> If it is the cd/dvd drive the sound will only occur if there is a disc in
    >> the drive and it is in use.
    >> My money is on a dirty cooling fan (case or power supply) .
    >> Do you get the same sound if you place the box on a piece of towelling
    >> etc.
    >> open the box and listen--fingers out tho!!-----is it all dusty in
    >> there?----get a can of compressed air and blow it out----DO NOT USE THE
    >> VACUUM CLEANER.

    > Not to start up an old argument, but I've read that over and over about
    > not using the vac. But the last 2,000 computers I vacuumed out didn't
    > complain.

    They knew they didn`t dare complain, otherwise they would have got a slap
    <g>.

    old jon, Dec 29, 2005
  7. On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 19:59:26 -0800, Toolman Tim wrote:

    > I just did that today. And it brought back memories of many years ago doing
    > a system that way. It was an /old/ Compaq luggable PC (not XT, the 8088 4.77
    > MHz PC model!). They didn't do CMOS for BIOS settings back then - everything
    > was set by jumpers and DIP switches. Well, the air pressure was up much too
    > high. And it blew the caps off the jumpers! It took me hours to get all
    > those stinking jumpers figured out and get that blasted (pun intended)
    > machine running again :)

    How about blowing the transistors out of their sockets in a really old
    tape recorder? Fortunately it was mine, not someone else's. :(

    Gary G. Taylor, Dec 29, 2005
  8. gerrypotter

    Trax Guest

    "Gary G. Taylor" <> wrote:

    |>On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 19:59:26 -0800, Toolman Tim wrote:
    |>
    |>> I just did that today. And it brought back memories of many years ago doing
    |>> a system that way. It was an /old/ Compaq luggable PC (not XT, the 8088 4.77
    |>> MHz PC model!). They didn't do CMOS for BIOS settings back then - everything
    |>> was set by jumpers and DIP switches. Well, the air pressure was up much too
    |>> high. And it blew the caps off the jumpers! It took me hours to get all
    |>> those stinking jumpers figured out and get that blasted (pun intended)
    |>> machine running again :)

    |>How about blowing the transistors out of their sockets in a really old
    |>tape recorder? Fortunately it was mine, not someone else's. :(

    How about sucking a tube out of an old T.V using a vacuum cleaner,
    trying to clean it up before working on - I was young it seem's like a
    good idea at the time :)

    --
    Man gets car stuck in mud,
    puts toolbox on accelerator and gets out to push.

    Trax, Dec 29, 2005
  9. gerrypotter

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 03:15:41 +0000, The Shed wrote:

    > Subject: Re: DVD Burner failure?
    > From: "The Shed" <>
    > Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 03:15:41 GMT
    >

    > "gerrypotter" <> wrote in message
    >>I own a Dell Domension desktop with Windows XP MCE 2005. I have already
    >> talked to tech support, and this is for a second opinion. I was
    >> hearing a grinding type sound from either my slim-line (laptop size
    >> cd-rom drive) DVD Burner, or hard drive. When I performed a 3 hour
    >> hard drive diagnostics, as reccommended by dell, there were no
    >> problems. When I ran the diagnostics with the CD-Rom, it told me that
    >> there was a "IRQ Timeout." What does IRQ mean, and is it something I
    >> should worry about?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>

    > All the diagnostics you can run will not inform you of a dry bearing.
    > If it was the hard drive--should have been screaming like a banshee
    > after a 3 hr diagnostic.

    Most if not all modern drives have fluid bearings.

    Meat Plow, Dec 30, 2005