    The only change is that I reformatted the HD. If that's the problem
    area, how would I correct it?

    thanks
    googleplex, Aug 16, 2007

  2. googleplex

    def456 Guest

    What kind of DVD disc is it? data/audio/video, size, type (DL or single
    layer), brand, rated speed
    Narrow it down...
    Can you burn anything now successfully? (rules out a bad drive)
    If so, try a different burning software (anything but Nero).

    def456, Aug 17, 2007

  3. googleplex

    nick Guest

    googleplex wrote:
    > Hi, everyone,
    >
    > I'm using XP Home and a Sony DRX-500ULX burner and Nero 6 to copy a
    > DVD that I made.
    >
    > It's worked before, and pretty well, but now I can't get it to work.
    > I keep getting burn failure messages.

    When I had a similar prob, I lowered the burn speed to 8x and
    all went well.
    nick, Aug 17, 2007
  4. googleplex

    googleplex Guest

    Hi, Def456 and NIck,

    Thanks for your replies. I'm using a single layer TDK 4.75 gb DVD - R
    disc, I think it's rated at 16x, but the Sony burner's top speed is
    4x.

    I've tried burning at 2x and still get the error message.

    At 1x the Nero program says the disc is 100% completed but won't let
    go of the disk, it just hangs at the 'finalziing disc' stage and I
    have to reboot the system. Arggg.....

    Here's the thing...I loaded Nero on a different PC running XP Pro and
    used the same drive, which is external, and got the same error
    message. Is there a way of testing the drive?

    thanks
    googleplex, Aug 17, 2007
  5. googleplex

    def456 Guest

    def456, Aug 17, 2007
  6. googleplex

    googleplex Guest

    Thanks, I downloaded the diagnostic test from Sony, but it is taking
    forever. Currently it has been running for 2 hours, it seems hung up
    on the 'performing write test' section.

    Any thoughts?
    googleplex, Aug 17, 2007
  7. googleplex

    googleplex Guest

    I' ve tried to run the diagnostic program twice, but each time it
    hangs up halfway thru its 'performing write test' section.

    Any thoughts on this?

    thanks
    googleplex, Aug 17, 2007
  8. googleplex

    def456 Guest

    > I' ve tried to run the diagnostic program twice, but each time it
    > hangs up halfway thru its 'performing write test' section.
    >
    > Any thoughts on this?

    My first thought is a faulty drive. I might try cleaning it, at least blow
    out the dust. Also might try flashing the firmware upgrade 2.1A. Another
    trick might be to uninstall the drive as well as the secondary IDE
    controller in Device Manager and let windows reinstall them. If none of
    those things work, personally I wouldn't spend a lot of time on it because
    DVD writers are fairly cheap now, so I'd probably get a new one.
    def456, Aug 18, 2007
  9. googleplex

    Jeff Guest

    googleplex <> wrote in

    > Hi, Def456 and NIck,
    >
    > Thanks for your replies. I'm using a single layer TDK 4.75 gb DVD - R
    > disc, I think it's rated at 16x, but the Sony burner's top speed is
    > 4x.
    >
    > I've tried burning at 2x and still get the error message.
    >
    > At 1x the Nero program says the disc is 100% completed but won't let
    > go of the disk, it just hangs at the 'finalziing disc' stage and I
    > have to reboot the system. Arggg.....
    >
    > Here's the thing...I loaded Nero on a different PC running XP Pro and
    > used the same drive, which is external, and got the same error
    > message. Is there a way of testing the drive?
    >

    > thanks

    1. Every burn on the first PC, regardless of speed, fails.
    2. Testing on another PC, fails
    3. Testing with the diagnostic program, fails
    4. Testing again with the diagnostic program, fails

    Clearly it is time to replace the drive. A 4X drive must be at least 4
    years old, already longer than many drives last.
    Jeff, Aug 19, 2007
  10. googleplex

    googleplex Guest

    Could you recommend a good replacement drive?

    thanks
    googleplex, Aug 25, 2007
  11. googleplex

    googleplex, Aug 25, 2007
  12. googleplex

    Jeff Guest

    googleplex <> wrote in

    > Could you recommend a good replacement drive?
    >
    > thanks

    Most folks around here recommend drives from NEC or Pioneer. I get
    reasonably good life from Lite-On drives (often sold under other brands).
    Not having tried the others, I can't say that one is any better than
    another. I can say AVOID SONY.
    Jeff, Aug 25, 2007
  13. googleplex

    googleplex Guest

    How about the NEC (Optiarc) AD-7170A ? Would that be a good choice?

    thanks
    googleplex, Aug 25, 2007
  14. On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 19:17:08 -0700, googleplex <> wrote:

    >Could you recommend a good replacement drive?
    >
    >thanks

    Wonder why you mention Nero - does the drive read?

    Borge in sunny Perth, Australia
    nesredep egrob, Aug 26, 2007