    more than the typical 4.7 gigs of data. Man am I pissed! Is there any way
    to compress things a bit to make it fit (don't want to chop out the special
    features) or am I gonna have to break down and buy a DL DVD burner? HELP!!!

    Owl Jolson, Sep 9, 2004

  2. Owl Jolson

    Robotman Guest

    Dvd shrink....

    Robotman.

    Robotman, Sep 9, 2004

  3. "Owl Jolson" <> wrote in message
    > Just bought me a Sony 530A (sweet!). To do a little practice I decided to
    > try and do a backup of "A Mighty Wind" with DVDXCopy Platinum and was told
    > (shown) that I would need two (2) dvds, not one. Of course I thought WTF?
    > Then I read that most dvds sold are actually dual/double layer and contain
    > more than the typical 4.7 gigs of data. Man am I pissed! Is there any

    way
    > to compress things a bit to make it fit (don't want to chop out the

    special
    > features) or am I gonna have to break down and buy a DL DVD burner?

    HELP!!!

    Pinnacle's Instant Copy will compress dual layer disks onto a single layer
    blank with not too much loss of quality. You can also selectively delete
    some features such as unrequired sound tracks to improve things.

    If you do not want the loss of quality, then DVDFab (google for it) will
    split it onto 2 blanks.

    Ian.

    Electric Fan Club, Sep 9, 2004
  4. Owl Jolson

    Pug Fugley Guest

    First of all, get DVD Shrink instead. Xcopy is junk.

    Secondly, without buying a dual layer burner, no matter what software you
    use you're gonna lose either picture quality or bonus features to make 9
    gigs fit on 4.3. Of course since dual layer blanks are $15 each, what's the
    point in that? Just buy a 'backup' copy of the movie.

    Pug Fugley, Sep 9, 2004
  5. Owl Jolson

    Nick Legrand Guest

    Only one easy to use program that gives you the best possible quality...

    DVDRebuiler www.doom9.org (uses CCE) hence best quality and it's all in one
    (1 click for the transcode..) takes about 2-8 hours depending on how much
    passes...

    The others are very lousy certainly dvdshrink... you get 'blocks' etc....

    Nick Legrand, Sep 10, 2004
  6. On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 23:11:01 GMT, "Nick Legrand"
    <> wrote:

    >Only one easy to use program that gives you the best possible quality...
    >
    >DVDRebuiler www.doom9.org (uses CCE) hence best quality and it's all in one
    >(1 click for the transcode..) takes about 2-8 hours depending on how much
    >passes...
    >
    >The others are very lousy certainly dvdshrink... you get 'blocks' etc....

    Actually while while rebuilder is the best, the latest DVDshrink is
    very very close in quality. I do Beta testing on DVDshrink with
    rebuilder as the reference, so I know.. Use the Forensic or deep
    analysis in DVDshrink.

    ... Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Sep 10, 2004
  7. Owl Jolson

    Nick Legrand Guest

    I know that deep analysis gives good quality and dvdshrink can be good then
    with a compression above 80% or so.. but if you need to do 9bg->4.3 gb..
    then dvdshrink will be losy quality no matter what... Right?

    Nick Legrand, Sep 10, 2004
  8. On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 06:06:26 GMT, "Nick Legrand"
    <> wrote:

    >I know that deep analysis gives good quality and dvdshrink can be good then
    >with a compression above 80% or so.. but if you need to do 9bg->4.3 gb..
    >then dvdshrink will be losy quality no matter what... Right?

    Yes, as will be any other means of reducing the size. One can always
    drop the special features and work on just the feature mpeg.

    ... Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Sep 10, 2004