dvd backup problem

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jameson, Sep 17, 2006.

  1. jameson

    jameson Guest

    I have stored approx 3000 jpegs on dvds using SONIC RECORD. They are in
    hundreds of folders and after burning each dvd I have picked two folders
    from each dvd and opened the files to make sure the images are readable. So
    far so good, but today I discovered that there are problems with the folders
    containing more than about 100 jpegs (each of about 4MB). The problem is
    that I can see a list of each file in the folder on the screen and can also
    view the details such as file size, clicking the icons button also works ok,
    but thumbnails does not work. Clicking thumbnails gets me about 3/4 of the
    images visible and then the computer locks. I also used Irfan View to view
    the images and find that after about 20 images everything just stops.

    I have tried this on two different laptops, one of them with XP and the
    other with XP PROFF, and the same problem occurs.

    I did attempt to copy the contents of one of the dvds back to the laptop and
    everything was going well until the whole process stopped and a message came
    up saying "cyclic redunduncy error" with details of one particular file. I
    stopped the copy process and tried to open that file, the image filled half
    the screen then everything stopped. I put the dvd in another laptop and it
    opened ok.

    Finally, I have examined several dvds and the same problem seems to occur on
    all the dvds, basically, any folder with more than 1bout 100 jpegs gives me
    some bother.

    What am I supposed to do. The images are also on portable drives but I
    would like to think they are also on something a bit more reliable.
    jameson, Sep 17, 2006

  2. jameson

    POHB Guest

    jameson wrote:

    > Finally, I have examined several dvds and the same problem seems to occur on
    > all the dvds, basically, any folder with more than 1bout 100 jpegs gives me
    > some bother.
    >
    > What am I supposed to do. The images are also on portable drives but I
    > would like to think they are also on something a bit more reliable.

    Don't go thinking DVD-Rs are reliable. Don't rely on any single means
    of storing valuable digital data. Sounds like you've done the right
    thing by keeping duplicates on portable drives too. Any storage will
    degrade over time, make regular verified copies so at least you get
    early warning of bit-rot and know that your old media can be read on
    your current computer.
    POHB, Sep 18, 2006

  3. jameson

    poddys Guest

    I would definitaly recommend getting a USB HD for backups. They are a
    reasonable price these days and you can always keep them offsite too,
    although not as small as DVD's.

    Given the low price of DVD's I don't even bother with DVD-RW,
    preferring to backup nightly to my USB drive and then monthly to DVD
    and storing offsite.

    Actually I have 2 USB HD's - 1 backs up my main PC every night (holds
    over a month of backups), the other I bought for offsite storage - I
    will take a full backup of all my systems prior to a major storm (we
    live in South Florida) and keep it offsite just in case the worst case
    scenario happens.

    It's now under $100 for a 250gb USB HD - very affordable given the cost
    of losing all your photos.
    poddys, Sep 18, 2006
  4. jameson

    Jim Guest

    "jameson" <> wrote in message
    >I have stored approx 3000 jpegs on dvds using SONIC RECORD. They are in
    >hundreds of folders and after burning each dvd I have picked two folders
    >from each dvd and opened the files to make sure the images are readable.
    >So far so good, but today I discovered that there are problems with the
    >folders containing more than about 100 jpegs (each of about 4MB). The
    >problem is that I can see a list of each file in the folder on the screen
    >and can also view the details such as file size, clicking the icons button
    >also works ok, but thumbnails does not work. Clicking thumbnails gets me
    >about 3/4 of the images visible and then the computer locks. I also used
    >Irfan View to view the images and find that after about 20 images
    >everything just stops.
    >
    > I have tried this on two different laptops, one of them with XP and the
    > other with XP PROFF, and the same problem occurs.
    >
    > I did attempt to copy the contents of one of the dvds back to the laptop
    > and everything was going well until the whole process stopped and a
    > message came up saying "cyclic redunduncy error" with details of one
    > particular file. I stopped the copy process and tried to open that file,
    > the image filled half the screen then everything stopped. I put the dvd
    > in another laptop and it opened ok.
    >
    > Finally, I have examined several dvds and the same problem seems to occur
    > on all the dvds, basically, any folder with more than 1bout 100 jpegs
    > gives me some bother.
    >
    > What am I supposed to do. The images are also on portable drives but I
    > would like to think they are also on something a bit more reliable.

    Neither DVDs nor CDs are especially reliable these days (unless you get a
    gold disk). I have about that many stored on both DVD-R and DVD-RW.
    However, the goal is to put them on a portable drive because such devices
    are still more reliable than any optical disk.

    Jim
    Jim, Sep 18, 2006
  5. jameson

    henry Guest

    I am using Uplus sync for automatic usb backup daily. It's fine to work
    with external drive. It's also important to backup to CDR twice a month
    for me. I think this is a safe way for my data.
    You can find uplus sync on http://www.uplussync.com

    henry, Sep 19, 2006
  6. jameson

    ColinD Guest

    jameson wrote:
    > I have stored approx 3000 jpegs on dvds using SONIC RECORD. They are in
    > hundreds of folders and after burning each dvd I have picked two folders
    > from each dvd and opened the files to make sure the images are readable. So
    > far so good, but today I discovered that there are problems with the folders
    > containing more than about 100 jpegs (each of about 4MB). The problem is
    > that I can see a list of each file in the folder on the screen and can also
    > view the details such as file size, clicking the icons button also works ok,
    > but thumbnails does not work. Clicking thumbnails gets me about 3/4 of the
    > images visible and then the computer locks. I also used Irfan View to view
    > the images and find that after about 20 images everything just stops.

    <snip the rest>

    I wouldn't blame the DVDs just yet. What program did you use to copy
    the files to the DVD? Some copy/backup utilities don't like handling a
    lot of files, and after a number have been copied you will start to get
    errors.

    It might be worth trying another utility, like xxcopy,
    http://www.xxcopy.com which I use for a complete file-by-file backup of
    my C: drive, about 20-odd gigs and numerous folders, a typical C: drive.
    It's very fast, has > 200 commands to tailor the backup, but its
    command-driven which may put you off.

    Colin D.

    ColinD, Sep 19, 2006
  7. jameson

    Dave Cohen Guest

    ColinD wrote:
    > jameson wrote:
    >> I have stored approx 3000 jpegs on dvds using SONIC RECORD. They are
    >> in hundreds of folders and after burning each dvd I have picked two
    >> folders from each dvd and opened the files to make sure the images are
    >> readable. So far so good, but today I discovered that there are
    >> problems with the folders containing more than about 100 jpegs (each
    >> of about 4MB). The problem is that I can see a list of each file in
    >> the folder on the screen and can also view the details such as file
    >> size, clicking the icons button also works ok, but thumbnails does not
    >> work. Clicking thumbnails gets me about 3/4 of the images visible and
    >> then the computer locks. I also used Irfan View to view the images
    >> and find that after about 20 images everything just stops.
    >>

    > <snip the rest>
    >
    > I wouldn't blame the DVDs just yet. What program did you use to copy
    > the files to the DVD? Some copy/backup utilities don't like handling a
    > lot of files, and after a number have been copied you will start to get
    > errors.
    >
    > It might be worth trying another utility, like xxcopy,
    > http://www.xxcopy.com which I use for a complete file-by-file backup of
    > my C: drive, about 20-odd gigs and numerous folders, a typical C: drive.
    > It's very fast, has > 200 commands to tailor the backup, but its
    > command-driven which may put you off.
    >
    > Colin D.

    I don't know how xxcopy can backup direct to dvd unless the op is using
    packet writing. I don't see packet writing mentioned. If op formatted
    the disks he could use xxcopy, I assume his Sonic install included dla.
    I do not know what his causing his problem. Does he have verify after
    write set.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Sep 20, 2006
  8. jameson

    John Turco Guest

    Dave Cohen wrote:

    > ColinD wrote:

    <edited, for brevity>

    > > It might be worth trying another utility, like xxcopy,
    > > http://www.xxcopy.com which I use for a complete file-by-file backup of
    > > my C: drive, about 20-odd gigs and numerous folders, a typical C: drive.
    > > It's very fast, has > 200 commands to tailor the backup, but its
    > > command-driven which may put you off.
    > >
    > > Colin D.
    > >

    > I don't know how xxcopy can backup direct to dvd unless the op is using
    > packet writing. I don't see packet writing mentioned. If op formatted
    > the disks he could use xxcopy, I assume his Sonic install included dla.
    > I do not know what his causing his problem. Does he have verify after
    > write set.
    > Dave Cohen

    Hello, Dave:

    I'd never entrust any of my data, to repulsive packet writing software.
    DVD-RAM doesn't require such a kludge, and hence, is the safest choice
    among DVD (and CD) formats.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, Sep 21, 2006
  9. jameson

    John Turco Guest

    poddys wrote:

    > I would definitaly recommend getting a USB HD for backups. They are a
    > reasonable price these days and you can always keep them offsite too,
    > although not as small as DVD's.
    >
    > Given the low price of DVD's I don't even bother with DVD-RW,
    > preferring to backup nightly to my USB drive and then monthly to DVD
    > and storing offsite.
    >
    > Actually I have 2 USB HD's - 1 backs up my main PC every night (holds
    > over a month of backups), the other I bought for offsite storage - I
    > will take a full backup of all my systems prior to a major storm (we
    > live in South Florida) and keep it offsite just in case the worst case
    > scenario happens.
    >
    > It's now under $100 for a 250gb USB HD - very affordable given the cost
    > of losing all your photos.

    Hello, poddys:

    Unfortunately, many of these USB hard disks are poorly cooled -- and
    therefore, dangerously unreliable. Certain brands are more notorious
    than others, with Maxtor being the alleged leader of this dubious pack.

    Visit news:comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage, and grow wiser. <g>

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, Sep 21, 2006
  10. jameson

    Bill Funk Guest

    On 21 Sep 2006 00:08:23 EDT, John Turco <> wrote:

    >Hello, poddys:
    >
    >Unfortunately, many of these USB hard disks are poorly cooled -- and
    >therefore, dangerously unreliable. Certain brands are more notorious
    >than others, with Maxtor being the alleged leader of this dubious pack.
    >
    >Visit news:comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage, and grow wiser. <g>

    Another solution to the cooling problem is to get the housing
    seperate, then install whatever drive you want to.
    There are any number (many!) of good housings with active cooling
    available.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"