DVD backup legality

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by RichA, Feb 12, 2005.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    I know (at least I think I do)
    that it is legal to make a copy
    of a DVD you own for your own use.
    However, what if you made a copy
    of a DVD you owned and then sold the
    original?
    -Rich
    RichA, Feb 12, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. RichA

    Guest

    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but you would have to either
    give the backup DVD to the buyer of the original or discard it.
    , Feb 12, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. In article <>,
    RichA <> wrote:

    > I know (at least I think I do)
    > that it is legal to make a copy
    > of a DVD you own for your own use.


    Nope.

    > However, what if you made a copy
    > of a DVD you owned and then sold the
    > original?


    Hmmmm...now that's a brain-teaser!
    Urra Dipschitt, Feb 12, 2005
    #3
  4. RichA

    kaydigi Guest

    "RichA" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    >I know (at least I think I do)
    > that it is legal to make a copy
    > of a DVD you own for your own use.
    > However, what if you made a copy
    > of a DVD you owned and then sold the
    > original?
    > -Rich


    DMCA the current version, says you can't circumvent DVD ENCRYPTION. So if
    you do that your back up is illegal.
    kaydigi, Feb 12, 2005
    #4
  5. RichA

    theyak Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I know (at least I think I do)
    > that it is legal to make a copy
    > of a DVD you own for your own use.
    > However, what if you made a copy
    > of a DVD you owned and then sold the
    > original?
    > -Rich
    >



    It is illegal to break the encryption on dvds. You are a criminal anyway
    so you might as well keep the copy.
    theyak, Feb 12, 2005
    #5
  6. RichA

    Justin Guest

    RichA wrote on [Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:33:25 -0500]:
    > I know (at least I think I do)
    > that it is legal to make a copy
    > of a DVD you own for your own use.


    In the US, no it isn't.

    > However, what if you made a copy
    > of a DVD you owned and then sold the
    > original?


    What do you think? Of course that's illegal
    Justin, Feb 13, 2005
    #6
  7. RichA

    Alpha Guest

    "Justin" <> wrote in message
    news:2go.com...
    > RichA wrote on [Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:33:25 -0500]:
    >> I know (at least I think I do)
    >> that it is legal to make a copy
    >> of a DVD you own for your own use.

    >
    > In the US, no it isn't.
    >
    >> However, what if you made a copy
    >> of a DVD you owned and then sold the
    >> original?

    >
    > What do you think? Of course that's illegal


    As others have noted, the DMCA states that you cannot decrypt. However, it
    also states you have fair use rights. Ergo, the DMCA contradicts itself and
    there are fights in the courts.
    Alpha, Feb 13, 2005
    #7
  8. RichA

    Alpha Guest

    "Alpha" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > "Justin" <> wrote in message
    > news:2go.com...
    >> RichA wrote on [Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:33:25 -0500]:
    >>> I know (at least I think I do)
    >>> that it is legal to make a copy
    >>> of a DVD you own for your own use.

    >>
    >> In the US, no it isn't.
    >>
    >>> However, what if you made a copy
    >>> of a DVD you owned and then sold the
    >>> original?

    >>
    >> What do you think? Of course that's illegal

    >
    > As others have noted, the DMCA states that you cannot decrypt. However,
    > it also states you have fair use rights. Ergo, the DMCA contradicts
    > itself and there are fights in the courts.
    >
    >
    >


    PS

    No matter what, you cannot make a copy and sell the original nor the copy.
    Alpha, Feb 13, 2005
    #8
  9. RichA

    Doonie Guest

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:33:25 -0500, RichA wrote:

    >I know (at least I think I do) that it is legal to make a copy
    >of a DVD you own for your own use. However, what if you
    >made a copy of a DVD you owned and then sold the original?


    Where?
    Doonie, Feb 13, 2005
    #9
  10. "RichA" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    >I know (at least I think I do)
    > that it is legal to make a copy
    > of a DVD you own for your own use.
    > However, what if you made a copy
    > of a DVD you owned and then sold the
    > original?
    > -Rich


    Of course it's not legal. Nobody is gonna come after you or even know about
    it though.
    Patrick Michael, Feb 13, 2005
    #10
  11. RichA

    Joe Phillips Guest

    theyak <> wrote in
    news::

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> I know (at least I think I do)
    >> that it is legal to make a copy
    >> of a DVD you own for your own use.
    >> However, what if you made a copy
    >> of a DVD you owned and then sold the
    >> original?
    >> -Rich
    >>

    >
    >
    > It is illegal to break the encryption on dvds. You are a criminal

    anyway
    > so you might as well keep the copy.
    >
    >


    One thing I've noticed using DVD Shrink on the few dvds I own is that
    most of them don't have any encryption according to the software
    analysis.
    Joe Phillips, Feb 13, 2005
    #11
  12. RichA

    Joe Phillips Guest

    "Patrick Michael" <> wrote in
    news:K_BPd.3096$zs.689@okepread04:

    >
    > "RichA" <> wrote in message
    > news:p...
    >>I know (at least I think I do)
    >> that it is legal to make a copy
    >> of a DVD you own for your own use.
    >> However, what if you made a copy
    >> of a DVD you owned and then sold the
    >> original?
    >> -Rich

    >
    > Of course it's not legal. Nobody is gonna come after you or even know
    > about it though.
    >
    >
    >


    Nobody has come after me so far. Of course I'm not selling the copies
    I've made. I just use dvd shrink and a couple other programs to convert
    R2 PAL DVDs to NTSC compatible VCDs so I can watch them on my living
    room tv, portable dvd player, or on my computers combo cdr/dvd-rom drive
    without having to make the drive or players region-free.
    Joe Phillips, Feb 13, 2005
    #12
  13. RichA

    Joe S Guest

    Alpha wrote:
    > "Justin" <> wrote in message
    > news:2go.com...
    >
    >>RichA wrote on [Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:33:25 -0500]:
    >>
    >>>I know (at least I think I do)
    >>>that it is legal to make a copy
    >>>of a DVD you own for your own use.

    >>
    >>In the US, no it isn't.
    >>
    >>
    >>>However, what if you made a copy
    >>>of a DVD you owned and then sold the
    >>>original?

    >>
    >>What do you think? Of course that's illegal

    >
    >
    > As others have noted, the DMCA states that you cannot decrypt. However, it
    > also states you have fair use rights. Ergo, the DMCA contradicts itself and
    > there are fights in the courts.



    Having a right to do something does not imbue a manufacturer with the
    responsibility of providing a legal means to do so.


    --
    Joe
    Joe S, Feb 13, 2005
    #13
  14. RichA

    Jon Purkey Guest

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 00:47:59 -0500, Doonie <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:33:25 -0500, RichA wrote:
    >
    >>I know (at least I think I do) that it is legal to make a copy
    >>of a DVD you own for your own use. However, what if you
    >>made a copy of a DVD you owned and then sold the original?

    >
    > Where?



    eBay?


    -
    -Jon Purkey - <)
    For a quicker reply by email please use the
    address found here: http://tinyurl.com/o8ka
    Jon Purkey, Feb 13, 2005
    #14
  15. RichA

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Urra Dipschitt wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > RichA <> wrote:
    >
    >> I know (at least I think I do)
    >> that it is legal to make a copy
    >> of a DVD you own for your own use.

    >
    > Nope.


    Yup. Breaking the encryption is what's illegal, not making the copy. A
    real catch-22, wouldn't you say?

    --
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mike Kohary mike at kohary dot com http://www.kohary.com

    Karma Photography: http://www.karmaphotography.com
    Seahawks Historical Database: http://www.kohary.com/seahawks
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mike Kohary, Feb 15, 2005
    #15
  16. RichA

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Justin wrote:
    > RichA wrote on [Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:33:25 -0500]:
    >> I know (at least I think I do)
    >> that it is legal to make a copy
    >> of a DVD you own for your own use.

    >
    > In the US, no it isn't.


    Yes it is. Breaking the encryption is what's illegal, not making the copy.

    --
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mike Kohary mike at kohary dot com http://www.kohary.com

    Karma Photography: http://www.karmaphotography.com
    Seahawks Historical Database: http://www.kohary.com/seahawks
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mike Kohary, Feb 15, 2005
    #16
  17. RichA

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Joe S wrote:
    > Alpha wrote:
    >> "Justin" <> wrote in message
    >> news:2go.com...
    >>
    >>> RichA wrote on [Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:33:25 -0500]:
    >>>
    >>>> I know (at least I think I do)
    >>>> that it is legal to make a copy
    >>>> of a DVD you own for your own use.
    >>>
    >>> In the US, no it isn't.
    >>>
    >>>> However, what if you made a copy
    >>>> of a DVD you owned and then sold the
    >>>> original?
    >>>
    >>> What do you think? Of course that's illegal

    >>
    >> As others have noted, the DMCA states that you cannot decrypt. However,
    >> it also states you have fair use rights. Ergo, the DMCA
    >> contradicts itself and there are fights in the courts.

    >
    > Having a right to do something does not imbue a manufacturer with the
    > responsibility of providing a legal means to do so.


    I believe it does, and that's what the current court fights are about.

    You are free to throw your rights away if you want to, but don't tell me I
    should so easily throw away mine.

    --
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mike Kohary mike at kohary dot com http://www.kohary.com

    Karma Photography: http://www.karmaphotography.com
    Seahawks Historical Database: http://www.kohary.com/seahawks
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mike Kohary, Feb 15, 2005
    #17
  18. RichA

    Justin Guest

    Mike Kohary wrote on [Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:28:41 -0800]:
    > Justin wrote:
    >> RichA wrote on [Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:33:25 -0500]:
    >>> I know (at least I think I do)
    >>> that it is legal to make a copy
    >>> of a DVD you own for your own use.

    >>
    >> In the US, no it isn't.

    >
    > Yes it is. Breaking the encryption is what's illegal, not making the copy.


    No. Cicumventing a copy protection scheme is illegal, so actually
    copying something that is copy protected is illegal. Whether you break
    the encryption or not.
    Justin, Feb 15, 2005
    #18
  19. RichA

    Justin Guest

    Mike Kohary wrote on [Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:30:04 -0800]:
    > Joe S wrote:
    >> Alpha wrote:
    >>> "Justin" <> wrote in message
    >>> news:2go.com...
    >>>
    >>>> RichA wrote on [Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:33:25 -0500]:
    >>>>
    >>>>> I know (at least I think I do)
    >>>>> that it is legal to make a copy
    >>>>> of a DVD you own for your own use.
    >>>>
    >>>> In the US, no it isn't.
    >>>>
    >>>>> However, what if you made a copy
    >>>>> of a DVD you owned and then sold the
    >>>>> original?
    >>>>
    >>>> What do you think? Of course that's illegal
    >>>
    >>> As others have noted, the DMCA states that you cannot decrypt. However,
    >>> it also states you have fair use rights. Ergo, the DMCA
    >>> contradicts itself and there are fights in the courts.

    >>
    >> Having a right to do something does not imbue a manufacturer with the
    >> responsibility of providing a legal means to do so.

    >
    > I believe it does, and that's what the current court fights are about.


    Huh? Why should anyone be required to give you access to create
    unlimited copies of something they produce, unless you pay extra?

    > You are free to throw your rights away if you want to, but don't tell me I
    > should so easily throw away mine.


    Blah blah blah
    Justin, Feb 15, 2005
    #19
  20. RichA

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Justin wrote:
    > Mike Kohary wrote on [Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:28:41 -0800]:
    >> Justin wrote:
    >>> RichA wrote on [Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:33:25 -0500]:
    >>>> I know (at least I think I do)
    >>>> that it is legal to make a copy
    >>>> of a DVD you own for your own use.
    >>>
    >>> In the US, no it isn't.

    >>
    >> Yes it is. Breaking the encryption is what's illegal, not making
    >> the copy.

    >
    > No. Cicumventing a copy protection scheme is illegal, so actually
    > copying something that is copy protected is illegal.


    No, the two are separate issues.

    --
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mike Kohary mike at kohary dot com http://www.kohary.com

    Karma Photography: http://www.karmaphotography.com
    Seahawks Historical Database: http://www.kohary.com/seahawks
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mike Kohary, Feb 15, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. BWGames

    Action Pack - legality?

    BWGames, Nov 19, 2004, in forum: Microsoft Certification
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    3,530
    T-Bone
    Dec 2, 2004
  2. Raj Singh
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    503
  3. Wireless network legality

    , Apr 14, 2006, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    3,421
  4. LesV

    RE: DVD backup legality question

    LesV, Mar 3, 2005, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    29
    Views:
    1,898
    Justin
    Mar 6, 2005
  5. Replies:
    5
    Views:
    795
    Netmask
    Dec 14, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page