    5fps, so how can this be recompressing something at about 60fps, when I know
    I can't encode that fast.

    Anybody used this before and knows what it's doing?
    Anonymous Joe, Sep 15, 2003

  2. Anonymous Joe

    stuart Guest

    TMPGenc re-encodes files, but DVDshrink DVD2one and others like it drop some
    of the picture from the frame.
    at least thats how i think it works.

    aparently 1 frame from a dvd movie contains lots of frames within it " B. I.
    P. pictures " DVDshrink drops one of these out so the more you compress a
    film the more pictures droped the poorer the quality.

    If anyone else can explain it better, please do.
    but i hope this answers you question.

    stuart, Sep 16, 2003

  3. Anonymous Joe

    Will Guest

    "Anonymous Joe" <> wrote in message
    | I've just been messing around with DVD Shrink here for a few minutes,
    and I
    | told it to recompress something just to see what happenens.
    |
    | I set it to like 50% or something, and it is saying it will only take
    1
    | hour. This is ridiculous, since I have an Athlon 1200, which really
    isn't
    | fast. It appears to be moving along at that pace, too.
    |
    | If I use TMPGEnc to encode a 720x480 DVD quality file, it goes at
    about
    | 5fps, so how can this be recompressing something at about 60fps, when
    I know
    | I can't encode that fast.
    |
    | Anybody used this before and knows what it's doing?

    The methods are discussed in detail at the official unofficial DVD
    Shrink site,
    http://forum.digital-digest.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=50
    and also at the message boards of
    http://cdfreaks.com
    Will, Sep 18, 2003
  4. Anonymous Joe

    Wolf333 Guest

    "Anonymous Joe" <> wrote in message
    > I've just been messing around with DVD Shrink here for a few minutes, and

    > told it to recompress something just to see what happenens.
    >
    > I set it to like 50% or something, and it is saying it will only take 1
    > hour. This is ridiculous, since I have an Athlon 1200, which really isn't
    > fast. It appears to be moving along at that pace, too.
    >
    > If I use TMPGEnc to encode a 720x480 DVD quality file, it goes at about
    > 5fps, so how can this be recompressing something at about 60fps, when I

    know
    > I can't encode that fast.
    >
    > Anybody used this before and knows what it's doing?

    TMPGEnc re-encodes the video frame by frame, whereas DVD Shrink, DVD2ONE,
    etc. transcode the video - they use the information that is already in the
    video itself. Transoding is much, much faster, but re-encoding gives better
    results (usually).

    --
    "blood-red canal birds particular traffic climb" - anonymous, oddly Zen-like
    Wolf333, Sep 19, 2003