DVD audio and video problem

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by trini_dude, Oct 5, 2004.

  1. trini_dude

    trini_dude Guest

    Here's a strange problem, can anyone help with this?

    I have a Dell Dimension XPS T550 with the following:
    - 32 Mb Diamond Viper 770D video card
    - Cinemaster hardware decoder card
    - 256 Mb SDRam
    - Pentium III 550 Mhz
    - 20 & 40Gb Hard drives
    - DVD drive
    - CDRW drive
    - 56K modem
    - IEEE 1394 Firewire card
    - Soundblaster Live Value 512

    The machine originally came installed with Windows98 SE. After 5 yrs
    I decided it was time to upgrade the operating system. I performed a
    fresh installation of Windows 2000 Professional. After i installed
    the OS the win2K dvd player haung the machine everytime i tried to
    play a dvd. I installed the PC friendly dvd play (it came with the
    matrix dvd). I was still unable to play dvds. I updated the drivers
    for the video card and the decoder card. This resulted in a new
    problem, the windows dvd still didnt work, the ravisent dvd player
    played the digital sound but no video and powerdvd played the video
    but no digital sound. Someone recommended going to XP since that
    should have the most updated drivers. I did a fresh install of XP.
    And the same thing has happened.....windows media player will hang
    if i try to play a dvd. The ravisent player is playing the sound
    properly, but on the window i'm getting "current display mode not
    suitable for dvd video" and the powerdvd player plays the video but
    no digital sound.

    I'm trying to get either of the players to output both video and
    digital sound (preferably the ravisent player). Now the decoder card
    has a video output also...I connected this to the television an I am
    getting the video there...but i want it on my pc monitor :D

    Can anyone assist me with this?

    Thanks

    trini_dude, Oct 5, 2004

  2. trini_dude

    Rudy Lopez Guest

    If I had the problem, I would consider a new combo DVD CD drive.

    Sometimes drives just don't play well together.

    Besides, you might even be able to get something that can burn DVDs.

    This planned obsolesence thing with computers and Windows in
    particular sucks.

    What can you do?

    Rudy Lopez, Oct 5, 2004