DVD© Player Kills Family of Seven and Cat

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by americanfamilyagent207@livewire.com, Jul 27, 2004.

  1. Guest

    From the Livewire Newsfeed

    August 4, 2003

    A New Mexico family was killed by a DVD player last Friday.
    Authorities reported that it appeared that the DVD player had just
    been purchased. Apparently an accident caused the player to fall off
    the television set in their living room. It is suspected that the
    family cat possibly knocked it down. The plastic case of the DVD
    player became cracked during the fall to the floor, emitting the fatal
    radiation which killed the entire family of seven.

    Authorities were notified on Saturday when a relative came to visit
    and found the family car in the driveway and no one would answer the
    door. When the police arrived they used forced entry and were shocked
    at what they found. There were dead bodies laying all over the living
    room floor, including the husband, wife and five children. None of
    them showed any signs of physical abuse, and all other possibile
    causes of death have been ruled out. Authorities are positive the
    deaths were caused by the DVD player.

    Additionally, the first officer to enter the premises was struck down
    and affected by the harmful radiation, and is hospitalized in critical
    condition. The electric company was summoned and disconnected the
    power to the premises before further action could be taken.

    A cat was found laying right next to the fatal DVD player, which leads
    to the suspicion that the cat was the cause of the player falling off
    of the television.

    Names of the family members are being withheld until further
    investigation and notification of relatives of the deceased.
    Funeral arrangements will be announced shortly.

    , Jul 27, 2004

  2. GuitarMan Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > From the Livewire Newsfeed
    >
    > August 4, 2003
    >
    > A New Mexico family was killed by a DVD player last Friday.

    LOL...that was funny...make it up yourself?

    GuitarMan, Jul 27, 2004

  3. <> wrote in message
    > From the Livewire Newsfeed
    >
    > August 4, 2003
    >
    > A New Mexico family was killed by a DVD player last Friday.
    > Authorities reported that it appeared that the DVD player had just
    > been purchased. Apparently an accident caused the player to fall off
    > the television set in their living room. It is suspected that the
    > family cat possibly knocked it down. The plastic case of the DVD
    > player became cracked during the fall to the floor, emitting the fatal
    > radiation which killed the entire family of seven.

    Radiation? What radiation? The only radiation that you can get from a
    damaged DVD player would be from the laser. Laser radiation doesn't kill,
    but it can blind you, but only at close quarters from a DVD (or CD) player.

    We can safely confine this story to the trash can.

    Ian.

    Electric Fan Club, Jul 27, 2004
  4. Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 13:18:55 +0100, "Electric Fan Club"
    <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> From the Livewire Newsfeed
    >>
    >> August 4, 2003
    >>
    >> A New Mexico family was killed by a DVD player last Friday.
    >> Authorities reported that it appeared that the DVD player had just
    >> been purchased. Apparently an accident caused the player to fall off
    >> the television set in their living room. It is suspected that the
    >> family cat possibly knocked it down. The plastic case of the DVD
    >> player became cracked during the fall to the floor, emitting the fatal
    >> radiation which killed the entire family of seven.
    >>

    >Radiation? What radiation? The only radiation that you can get from a
    >damaged DVD player would be from the laser. Laser radiation doesn't kill,
    >but it can blind you, but only at close quarters from a DVD (or CD) player.
    >
    >We can safely confine this story to the trash can.
    >
    >Ian.

    Wrong
    A powerful laser, such as that used in a DVD player, pointed directly
    at a persons head destroys their entire brain in less than 1/1000th of
    a second. Once the brain is destroyed, the heart and other organs
    stop working. Apparently this is what happened.

    CD players have lasers that are not as powerful, and it would take
    hours of exposure. Toy laser "pointers" are too weak, and have no
    effect at all, except for possible eye damage.

    I am in the insurance business, and we deal with this regularly. DVD
    players are extremely dangerous once the case is ruptured, exposing
    the laser. Our company, and many other insurance companies are trying
    to either ban dvd players, or force manufacturers to encase the laser
    in a foolproof housing that can not be ruptured, tampered with, or
    exposed, without disabling the power to the laser first.

    , Jul 27, 2004
  5. <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 13:18:55 +0100, "Electric Fan Club"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > ><> wrote in message
    > >> From the Livewire Newsfeed
    > >>
    > >> August 4, 2003
    > >>
    > >> A New Mexico family was killed by a DVD player last Friday.
    > >> Authorities reported that it appeared that the DVD player had just
    > >> been purchased. Apparently an accident caused the player to fall off
    > >> the television set in their living room. It is suspected that the
    > >> family cat possibly knocked it down. The plastic case of the DVD
    > >> player became cracked during the fall to the floor, emitting the fatal
    > >> radiation which killed the entire family of seven.
    > >>

    > >Radiation? What radiation? The only radiation that you can get from a
    > >damaged DVD player would be from the laser. Laser radiation doesn't

    kill,
    > >but it can blind you, but only at close quarters from a DVD (or CD)

    player.

    > >We can safely confine this story to the trash can.
    > >
    > >Ian.
    > >

    > Wrong
    > A powerful laser, such as that used in a DVD player, pointed directly
    > at a persons head destroys their entire brain in less than 1/1000th of
    > a second. Once the brain is destroyed, the heart and other organs
    > stop working. Apparently this is what happened.
    >
    > CD players have lasers that are not as powerful, and it would take
    > hours of exposure. Toy laser "pointers" are too weak, and have no
    > effect at all, except for possible eye damage.
    >
    > I am in the insurance business, and we deal with this regularly. DVD
    > players are extremely dangerous once the case is ruptured, exposing
    > the laser. Our company, and many other insurance companies are trying
    > to either ban dvd players, or force manufacturers to encase the laser
    > in a foolproof housing that can not be ruptured, tampered with, or
    > exposed, without disabling the power to the laser first.

    Yeah, right. Still, nobody believes this story which, by the way, was posted
    in this very NG about a year ago by someone else. Your so called insurance
    company must not have better things to do since the entire suggestion of dvd
    or cd players for that matter can cause bodily harm other than laser in the
    eye. A dvd transport would prevent the laser from running unless the clamp
    or spindle locks the disc down over the laser assembly. The laser does not
    move along the sled unless there is a disc to be read. Tell your story to
    the tourists.

    Tad Bitt§ï£, Jul 28, 2004
  6. Jay G Guest

    GuitarMan <> wrote:
    > <> wrote ...
    >> From the Livewire Newsfeed
    >>
    >> August 4, 2003
    >>
    >> A New Mexico family was killed by a DVD player last Friday.

    > LOL...that was funny...make it up yourself?

    Yes he did, although he made it up about a year ago:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=0Fs%a.199207$

    -Jay

    Jay G, Jul 28, 2004
  7. Joe Liquor Guest

    Re: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?DVD=A9_Player_Kills_Family_of_Seven?==?ISO-8859-1?Q?_and_Cat?=

    wrote:

    > Wrong
    > A powerful laser, such as that used in a DVD player, pointed directly
    > at a persons head destroys their entire brain in less than 1/1000th of
    > a second. Once the brain is destroyed, the heart and other organs
    > stop working. Apparently this is what happened.
    >
    > CD players have lasers that are not as powerful, and it would take
    > hours of exposure. Toy laser "pointers" are too weak, and have no
    > effect at all, except for possible eye damage.
    >
    > I am in the insurance business, and we deal with this regularly. DVD
    > players are extremely dangerous once the case is ruptured, exposing
    > the laser. Our company, and many other insurance companies are trying
    > to either ban dvd players, or force manufacturers to encase the laser
    > in a foolproof housing that can not be ruptured, tampered with, or
    > exposed, without disabling the power to the laser first.

    LOL! I thought I had the market cornered on making up unbelievable yet
    funny bullshit stories.

    Joe Liquor, Jul 28, 2004
  8. Justin Guest

    Re: =?iso-8859-1?Q?DVD=A9?= Player Kills Family of Seven and Cat

    Joe Liquor wrote on [Wed, 28 Jul 2004 00:49:32 GMT]:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Wrong
    >> A powerful laser, such as that used in a DVD player, pointed directly
    >> at a persons head destroys their entire brain in less than 1/1000th of
    >> a second. Once the brain is destroyed, the heart and other organs
    >> stop working. Apparently this is what happened.
    >>
    >> CD players have lasers that are not as powerful, and it would take
    >> hours of exposure. Toy laser "pointers" are too weak, and have no
    >> effect at all, except for possible eye damage.
    >>
    >> I am in the insurance business, and we deal with this regularly. DVD
    >> players are extremely dangerous once the case is ruptured, exposing
    >> the laser. Our company, and many other insurance companies are trying
    >> to either ban dvd players, or force manufacturers to encase the laser
    >> in a foolproof housing that can not be ruptured, tampered with, or
    >> exposed, without disabling the power to the laser first.

    > LOL! I thought I had the market cornered on making up unbelievable yet
    > funny bullshit stories.

    Maybe you do.

    Justin, Jul 28, 2004
  9. Rich Guest

    "GuitarMan" <> wrote in message

    > <> wrote in message
    > > From the Livewire Newsfeed
    > >
    > > August 4, 2003
    > >
    > > A New Mexico family was killed by a DVD player last Friday.

    > LOL...that was funny...make it up yourself?

    I think this is the same guy who posted the "DVDs will give you venereal
    disease" story a year or two back. His posts are memorable, you have to
    give him that.

    Rich, Jul 28, 2004
  10. Craig Guest

    Re: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?DVD=A9_Player_Kills_Family_of_Seven?==?ISO-8859-1?Q?_and_Cat?=

    And if you believe this, I'll make you a special deal on the Brooklyn
    bridge ;)

    Craig

    Craig, Jul 28, 2004