    said, what software downloads or purchases etc would be suitable for a
    "quick fix" sort of dust/scratch removal?

    LRH
    Larry R Harrison Jr, Sep 3, 2003

  2. On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 20:15:07 GMT, "Frank ess" <> wrote:

    >"Larry R Harrison Jr" <> wrote in message
    >> Yes I realize it's a budget-priced 2400 dpi scanner. Would've loved to

    >have
    >> gotten the 2800 dpi Minolta DImage Scan III--or heck, a Nikon Coolscan IV
    >> etc--but as a start, I went with this.
    >>
    >> Anyway, I'm well aware that it doesn't come with dust/scratch removal
    >> software like the Minolta DImage Scan III or others (like Nikon's) do.

    >That
    >> said, what software downloads or purchases etc would be suitable for a
    >> "quick fix" sort of dust/scratch removal?
    >>
    >> LRH
    >>

    >I've forgotten where I got it, but I'll bet a google search on "Polaroid
    >Dust and Scratch Removal" would yield up the free program I downloaded.

    Remember that dust "in the scanner" shows up as multicolored bands, or
    stripes in the S-20. Like LRH I've forgotten the name of the free
    apps out there, but there are several.

    I've used one (I have one) and it gets surprisingly good results at
    2400 dpi. Unfortunately that system was struck by lightening and it
    even shattered one of the prisms in the S-20. It still works on film
    strips and slides though. It just won't do prints any more.

    www.rogerhalstead.com
    N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

    Roger Halstead, Sep 4, 2003

  3. Larry R Harrison Jr

    kpfeif Guest

    "Larry R Harrison Jr" <> wrote in message news:<bko5b.43008$Qy4.9414@fed1read05>...
    > Yes I realize it's a budget-priced 2400 dpi scanner. Would've loved to have
    > gotten the 2800 dpi Minolta DImage Scan III--or heck, a Nikon Coolscan IV
    > etc--but as a start, I went with this.
    >
    > Anyway, I'm well aware that it doesn't come with dust/scratch removal
    > software like the Minolta DImage Scan III or others (like Nikon's) do. That
    > said, what software downloads or purchases etc would be suitable for a
    > "quick fix" sort of dust/scratch removal?
    >
    > LRH

    I'm not sure if there is an automatic solution for you. I have the
    Photosmart Scanner (the original SCSI one) and have found that the
    only real key to dust control is having lots of canned air handy.
    It's important to note that the dust and scratch removal systems
    (e.g., DigitalICE) that some other scanners use is a combination of
    software AND hardware. Without the hardware, the software would be
    useless.

    You can use Photoshop to do some dust and scratch removal. There's
    some filter I've used (despeckel?) to do this a bit, but you'll lose
    image detail. Of cource clone stamp or the healing brush will do the
    trick, too, but we're talking about some major time spent doing so.
    Trust me - I've been there.

    Good luck,
    Kris
    kpfeif, Sep 4, 2003