Dust busting the D60

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by toby.stokes, Aug 1, 2004.

  1. toby.stokes

    toby.stokes Guest

    Trouble and strife has pointed out that my pics are looking decidedly dirty.
    Not that she needed to rub it in, as I had already noticed, but when she's
    pickingit up too, and can't take a pic without her thumb obscuring half the
    shot, then I fiigure this problem is getting out of hand.

    I keep the lens clean as often as possible, I dust bust whenever I change
    from wangle to Long, but I still end up with dust splattered pics REGULALRY.

    Is there anything I can do to clean the element, as I have heard this
    requires professional ability...ie do I need to take this to a pro-shop to
    get it cleand, or can I do it myself? (bought the D60 second hand, so don't
    have a manual...anyone with one that can scan and send me the instructions
    for element care would be hugely appreciated)

    and secondly...is there any "anti-static" device, process or cleaning
    product that I can use to reduce the continual invasion of big UBO's
    (Unidentifiable Blobby Objects) in my pictures.

    All advice received with gracious thanks as this is doing my nut in.

    Cheers, Toby

    toby.stokes, Aug 1, 2004

  2. toby.stokes

    Annika1980 Guest

    >From: "toby.stokes"

    >Is there anything I can do to clean the element, as I have heard this
    >requires professional ability...ie do I need to take this to a pro-shop to
    >get it cleand, or can I do it myself?

    Follow the directions for sensor cleaning in the D60 by using Custom Function
    13. The simply blow the dust out using a blower bulb. Believe it or not, I
    use a big rectal syringe to blow mine out [insert snide comment here].
    Do NOT use canned compressed air as that has contaminants in it that can damage
    the sensor.

    For serious spots you can use a sensor swab and Eclipse solution and pec pads.

    Here's a good tutorial to get you started:
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/sensor-cleaning.shtml

    Annika1980, Aug 1, 2004

  3. (Annika1980) writes:

    >>From: "toby.stokes"

    >>Is there anything I can do to clean the element, as I have heard this
    >>requires professional ability...ie do I need to take this to a pro-shop to
    >>get it cleand, or can I do it myself?

    > Follow the directions for sensor cleaning in the D60 by using Custom
    > Function 13. The simply blow the dust out using a blower bulb.
    > Believe it or not, I use a big rectal syringe to blow mine out
    > [insert snide comment here]. Do NOT use canned compressed air as
    > that has contaminants in it that can damage the sensor.

    The issue isn't contaminants; that stuff is very clean.

    The issue is that tilting the can or sloshing too much can, at least
    in theory, cause droplets to come out (the gas is compressed to liquid
    form in the can) at very low temperature. (You do know that canned
    compressed air isn't real air, right?)

    > For serious spots you can use a sensor swab and Eclipse solution and
    > pec pads.

    Which works well enough. (Well, on a Fuji S2; but the issues are
    pretty much the same.)

    > Here's a good tutorial to get you started:
    > http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/sensor-cleaning.shtml

    Seconded.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Aug 1, 2004