    System volume information\_restore...change.log.2 is cross linked on
    allocation unit...

    How do I fix this?
    =?Utf-8?B?VmlyZ2lsIEMu?=, Dec 31, 2005

  2. There should be an option for scandisk to fix any errors it encounters - as
    I recall, this is not the default. Sorry, do not recall the specific option
    (might be ' /f ' ?). Try it from the command-line. (Recovery Console!)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 1, 2006

  3. Sorry, Scandisk may not work from the command-line - use CHKDSK /f - that
    should do it.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 1, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?VmlyZ2lsIEMu?=

    John Barnes Guest

    If he is using scandisk, he is back in Win98 or maybe ME?

    John Barnes, Jan 1, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?VmlyZ2lsIEMu?=

    John Barnes Guest

    This group is for XP X64. Are you running into the problem when you start
    windows and it runs scandisk because of a bad shutdown, or can you get to my
    computer, right click on the drive, select properties, tools and scandisk.
    Make sure fix errors is selected and run it.

    John Barnes, Jan 1, 2006
  6. Yeah, no wonder I had trouble getting it right! His version of CHKDSK should
    be able to handle it, though, if the 'freezing' behaviour becomes routine.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 1, 2006
  7. Re: During scan disk, "cross linked on allocation", how do I fix i

    I have windows XP home edition 5.1 with Service Pack 2 installed. Everytime
    I start my computer it says that the disk needs to be checked for errors. I
    receive:

    Volume Serial Number is 1052-B046
    System volume information\_restore
    {8357CB77-1DBD-43BC-B2F8E849aaB0S87F}\R1313\Change.log.2 is cross linked on
    allocation unit 3677892

    When it starts to run the scan, it stops with this message. I am able to
    access computer by telling it not to run the scan. I have low disk space. I
    have Norton System works but cannot use Disk Doctor. I have gone to My
    Computer and right clicked on the properties and get that the drive is not
    available and I can have it to fix errors on the restart. I think I did that
    but will do that again. I will let you know what happens. Am I in the right
    group? Thanks,

    Virgil C.

    =?Utf-8?B?VmlyZ2lsIEMu?=, Jan 1, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?VmlyZ2lsIEMu?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Re: During scan disk, "cross linked on allocation", how do I fix i

    You are not in the correct group, but XP is the same and chkdsk from the
    install disk (recovery console) or at startup should be the same result.
    you might want to post on Microsoft.public.windowsxp.general or
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware. If you gave some information about
    your disk setup you may be able to get help here or those other sites. How
    many disks do you have? IDE SATA? How are they partitioned? Kinds of
    partitions, etc

    John Barnes, Jan 1, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?VmlyZ2lsIEMu?=

    Randy Guest

    run chkdsk /r from a command prompt. If it says you must do so on next boot,
    do so. Better yet, create a Bart's disc (http://nu2.nu) and fix it from
    within that environment.

    Randy, Jan 2, 2006