    Wonder why I'm getting this, error message?

    Also, how to get rid of this, annoying 'error message?'

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    Violet, May 23, 2008

  2. Violet

    smlunatick Guest

    On May 22, 8:11 pm, "Violet" <> wrote:
    > Hi:
    > I got a brand new PC with XP and completed 'hard-wired' networking
    > connection
    > after having un-hooked from the back of the PC with Vista.
    >
    > Everything went smooth and Connection has NO issue at all.
    >
    > However, I'm getting the following 'error message' at the right bottom
    > of the corner of System Tray.
    >
    > "Windows - System Error,
    > A duplicate name exists on the network.'
    >
    > Wonder why I'm getting this, error message?
    >
    > Also, how to get rid of this, annoying 'error message?'
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help.

    Every PC on a network must have a uique name. No two can have the
    same name

    smlunatick, May 23, 2008

  3. Hi
    Log in each computer to Control Panel/System.
    Take a look at each computer name.
    If there is duplicate click on Change (to the left) and change the duplicate
    computer name.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., May 24, 2008
  4. Violet

    Violet Guest

    Thanks for the responses.

    In my very haste after the purchase, I just forgot giving a proper
    name for a brand new machine. But, after all, everything is OK
    running very smooth, for that I truly feel very grateful. There is
    no 'System error' message popping up at the right bottom of
    System Tray.

    Thanks again.

    Violet, May 24, 2008
  5. Enjoy your network.