    Can anyone offer any other suggestions to fix this annoyance?
    Thanks,
    Steve
    =?Utf-8?B?QnJvb2tseW5JdGFsaWFuR3V5?=, Jun 9, 2007

  2. BrooklynItalianGuy wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am receiving a message when I start Windows on my wireless desktop that
    > says: "A duplicate name exists on the network". I have googled this message
    > and everything I have been reading indicates that this is because both
    > computers have the same name. I have checked the names of both computers. The
    > hardwired XP pro computer says "Dads Computer" and the wireless XP home
    > computer says "Stevens Computer" (without the quotation marks).
    > Can anyone offer any other suggestions to fix this annoyance?
    > Thanks,
    > Steve

    Those two sound more like computer descriptions rather than the actual
    machine names. Double check - to find the true machine name, Start >
    Run > cmd and type 'hostname' and press enter.
    Richard Giagnacovo, Jun 9, 2007

  3. Richard thanks for responding. When I check the hostname of each computer the
    way you describe it says "steven" (without the quotation marks).

    =?Utf-8?B?QnJvb2tseW5JdGFsaWFuR3V5?=, Jun 9, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?QnJvb2tseW5JdGFsaWFuR3V5?=

    Lem Guest

    That seems to be your problem. Open System Properties (e.g.,
    right-click on My Computer and click on Properties).
    Click the Computer Name tab.
    http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/sc...stem_Properties/SP2/Computer_Name/Index.shtml

    What you want to change is the "Full computer name" shown in the
    screenshot as Logan (not the Computer description).

    Click on the Change button and change it here:
    http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/sc.../Computer_Name/Change/Index_(Workgroup).shtml

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, Jun 9, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?QnJvb2tseW5JdGFsaWFuR3V5?=

    Lem Guest

    P.S.: The computer name is limited to fifteen characters and cannot
    contain spaces or any of the following special characters:

    Lem, Jun 9, 2007
  6. Thanks so much. I kept changing the computer description. All is fine now.
    Have an awesome weekend.

    =?Utf-8?B?QnJvb2tseW5JdGFsaWFuR3V5?=, Jun 9, 2007