    different in the network stack that allows fast switching between wired and
    wireless. question: is there a setting that can be changed to all this to
    occur? note IP of wireless and wired networks are different ranges.

    John, Apr 28, 2009

  2. Never ever ever ever connect to the same network with two adapters at the
    same time. Either use the wired always,..or use the wireless always,...make
    a choice, stay with it.

    Or at least at a minimum only use one at a time, but you may have periodical
    problems,...it is just the way it is. The same machine simply cannot be
    "known" by two IP#s at the same time.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Apr 28, 2009

  3. John

    John Guest

    Re: duplicate name on network when switching wireless to wired net

    Phillip,

    I generally agree with you, but Vista and Mac clients do the same things on
    our network and do not get this message which leads me to believe that MS
    addressed this issue with the network stack in Vista and that there may (or
    may not be) a way to control this behavior in XP. My users are not that
    savvy, even with some education. they see the company wired and wireless
    network as seamless and therefore think that this should just work.

    John, Apr 28, 2009
  4. John

    Jack-MVP Guest

    Hi
    May be that configuring the Metrics on the cards would solve the issue.
    http://www.ezlan.net/metrics.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack-MVP, Apr 29, 2009
  5. Re: duplicate name on network when switching wireless to wired net

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > Phillip,
    >
    > I generally agree with you, but Vista and Mac clients do the same things
    > on
    > our network and do not get this message which leads me to believe that MS
    > addressed this issue with the network stack in Vista and that there may
    > (or
    > may not be) a way to control this behavior in XP.

    It doesn't have anything to do with the local machine. It most likey has to
    do with dynamic DNS Registration and/or WINS Registration, and that doesn't
    even bring into account the Netbios based Master Browse List issues. The
    Macs probably don't register themselves to begin with. Can't speak for
    Vista, there's no way I can verify it is configured to operate like the XP
    machines (even if you think they are,...there a lot of buried details not
    easily seen). And on top of that just because Vista and Mac hasn't
    "complained" about it does not mean it is "ok" to do it.

    > My users are not that
    > savvy, even with some education. they see the company wired and wireless
    > network as seamless and therefore think that this should just work.

    Telling them to simply don't run both at the same time can't be that hard to
    understand. Our users always have the wirless nics physically switched off
    when in our building. On top of that I never configure their machine for
    wireless access to our LAN and don't give them the WPA Key. Our building is
    fully cabled, there is no need for wireless. They use the wireless when
    traveling

    It doesn't have anything to do with being "seamless",...and you don't have
    two networks.....you have *one* network,...copper -vs- radio waves are just
    two forms of media,...it is no different than mixing copper and fiber optic
    on the same LAN,...no is going to think that is two different networks. So
    you just cannot run a machine with two Nics on the same LAN, particularly
    the same subnet, without odd behavor of some kind, that is the
    "norm",....when the machine does not do something odd is the "abnom" and
    just "getting lucky". The media being used, copper, fiber optic, radio is
    irrelevant.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Apr 29, 2009
  6. John

    John Guest

    Re: duplicate name on network when switching wireless to wired net

    Jack,

    i tried that, but did not have any success. I will attempt again on a
    different client to test. I have also tried adjusting the adapter priority
    in the advanced menu, but that did not work.

    It's as if the wireless adapter is hyper sensitive to the change. I'm
    wondering if there is a registry setting that can be made to force the
    adapter to wait before announcing that there is a duplicate name. Not sure
    if that is the purpose of the Metric or the priority settings, but i tried
    both and was not successful.

    John, Apr 29, 2009
  7. Re: duplicate name on network when switching wireless to wired net

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > Jack,
    >
    > i tried that, but did not have any success. I will attempt again on a
    > different client to test. I have also tried adjusting the adapter
    > priority
    > in the advanced menu, but that did not work.
    >
    > It's as if the wireless adapter is hyper sensitive to the change. I'm
    > wondering if there is a registry setting that can be made to force the
    > adapter to wait before announcing that there is a duplicate name. Not
    > sure
    > if that is the purpose of the Metric or the priority settings, but i tried
    > both and was not successful.

    I think you are wasting you time trying to solve something that isn't
    suppose to be done in the first place. I know I can't make you listen if
    you don't want to,..it is up to you,...but it is going to be just like I
    said it was going to be.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Apr 29, 2009
  8. John

    John Guest

    Re: duplicate name on network when switching wireless to wired net

    I appreciate the advice.

    I was able to fix the problem. I disabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP on both the
    LAN and wireless adapter and I no longer get the duplicate name error. I'm
    going to watch this closely to ensure that changing this doesn't impact
    anything else, but early indications are that everything is working properly.

    John, May 5, 2009
  9. Re: duplicate name on network when switching wireless to wired net

    Yes that may "dodge" the problem you created,...it doesn't really eliminate
    the problem. But if you're happy with it than that is fine I guess.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, May 6, 2009