    Thomas Guest

    Using Windows XP Home Edition, is there anyway to automatically remove files
    that are a copy of another file?

    Thomas, Nov 29, 2005

  2. Thomas

    Fakename Guest

    You'll need a third party utility to do that kind of thing
    automatically. Of course you could do that manually, but I'm betting
    you want to do more with your computer than compare files all day,
    one.by.one.

    Fakename, Nov 29, 2005

  3. "Thomas" <> wrote in message
    > Using Windows XP Home Edition, is there anyway to automatically
    > remove files that are a copy of another file?

    Try this freeware utility called HDCleaner. It is programmed to look
    for the commonest type of junk files and space wasters and it also
    identifies duplicate files.
    http://home.tiscali.de/zdata/hdcleaner_e.htm

    Boscoe Pertwee, Nov 29, 2005
  4. Thomas

    Guest

    Try NoClone, it compares files byte by byte. Smart marker is
    time-saving feature to filter duplicates for removal/archival.
    http://noclone.net

    , Dec 1, 2005
  5. Thomas

    haphzrd Guest

    In alt.computer Boscoe Pertwee <> wrote:
    > Try this freeware utility called HDCleaner. It is programmed to look
    > for the commonest type of junk files and space wasters and it also
    > identifies duplicate files.
    > http://home.tiscali.de/zdata/hdcleaner_e.htm

    I'm curious if you know how this program and others like it, detect
    duplicate files.

    I use a program called fdupes which compares file sizes and md5 sums to
    detect a dupe, and acts accordingly. Unfortunately, even the slightest
    change between files will produce a different sum and wont meet the
    criteria for a dupe. So essentially, a dupe, is only the same file with
    possibly different filenames.

    I'm assuming most dupe finding programs act this way, though maybe there
    is one slightly more "smart" out there?

    --
    : :: : [ haphzrd ] : :: :

    haphzrd, Dec 4, 2005
  6. Thomas

    Ernest Guest

    On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 03:09:13 GMT, haphzrd <> wrote:

    >In alt.computer Boscoe Pertwee <> wrote:
    >> Try this freeware utility called HDCleaner. It is programmed to look
    >> for the commonest type of junk files and space wasters and it also
    >> identifies duplicate files.
    >> http://home.tiscali.de/zdata/hdcleaner_e.htm

    >I'm curious if you know how this program and others like it, detect
    >duplicate files.
    >
    >I use a program called fdupes which compares file sizes and md5 sums to
    >detect a dupe, and acts accordingly. Unfortunately, even the slightest
    >change between files will produce a different sum and wont meet the
    >criteria for a dupe. So essentially, a dupe, is only the same file with
    >possibly different filenames.
    >
    >I'm assuming most dupe finding programs act this way, though maybe there
    >is one slightly more "smart" out there?

    The few such programs that I have been able to examin
    properly worked by comparing information available in
    the file summaries and deleting files that match the set
    criteria - the most common criteria being a match in the
    file name , or a match in the file name and file size, or a
    match in the file name, file size and file creation date.

    I have heard of one, very expensive, that works with text
    based files that will compare the text in defined areas and
    when a match is found will delete the one with the older
    creation date - intended for cleaning out text file directories
    for scripts etc. This one actually examined a set aprt of the
    file (eg 10th to 20th lines of text) and ignored the file name
    and file size info. Sorry but forget the name, it was being
    used at place were they wrote lots of program scripts and
    codes; they wanted to get rid of older versions etc.

    Ernest, Dec 5, 2005