duplicate files help reqd...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by XPD, Dec 5, 2005.

  1. XPD

    XPD Guest

    Got a tricky one... or maybe its easy and my brain isnt figuring it out
    :p

    Have a clients PC who has been saving data to 2 different directories
    by accident when it should all be in one dir. Now he has something
    along the lines of...

    c:\data\document1.doc (dated 12/11/05)
    c:\data2\document1.doc (dated 12/11/04)

    Now what I need to do is move the newer document to a specified
    directory (c:\data) - catch is he has oodles of documents and files
    which need this doing..... most files already exist in both directories
    but some have been modified and some not.
    Ive tried using FolderMatch however it will take me forever to do it
    manually using this.
    Is there a program/script I can use which will compare the dirs I give
    it and move all the newer created/modified files to the right dir ?

    TIA

    XPD, Dec 5, 2005

  2. "XPD" <> wrote in message
    > Got a tricky one... or maybe its easy and my brain isnt figuring it out
    > :p
    >
    > Have a clients PC who has been saving data to 2 different directories
    > by accident when it should all be in one dir. Now he has something
    > along the lines of...
    >
    > c:\data\document1.doc (dated 12/11/05)
    > c:\data2\document1.doc (dated 12/11/04)
    >
    > Now what I need to do is move the newer document to a specified
    > directory (c:\data) - catch is he has oodles of documents and files
    > which need this doing..... most files already exist in both directories
    > but some have been modified and some not.
    > Ive tried using FolderMatch however it will take me forever to do it
    > manually using this.
    > Is there a program/script I can use which will compare the dirs I give
    > it and move all the newer created/modified files to the right dir ?
    >
    > TIA

    have you looked at synctoy? By microsoft, offers a few options not sure if
    it will do what you want tho.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Dec 5, 2005

  3. XPD

    Peter Guest

    XPD wrote:

    > Got a tricky one... or maybe its easy and my brain isnt figuring it out
    > :p
    >
    > Have a clients PC who has been saving data to 2 different directories
    > by accident when it should all be in one dir. Now he has something
    > along the lines of...
    >
    > c:\data\document1.doc (dated 12/11/05)
    > c:\data2\document1.doc (dated 12/11/04)
    >
    > Now what I need to do is move the newer document to a specified
    > directory (c:\data) - catch is he has oodles of documents and files
    > which need this doing..... most files already exist in both directories
    > but some have been modified and some not.
    > Ive tried using FolderMatch however it will take me forever to do it
    > manually using this.
    > Is there a program/script I can use which will compare the dirs I give
    > it and move all the newer created/modified files to the right dir ?

    Make Zip backups of both directories. Unzip 'data2' to target 'data1'
    asking it to replace any older files with newer ones. Alternatively zip
    'data1' then 'add/refresh' with 'data2', delete 'data2' and contents of
    'data1' then unzip into 'data1'. You should still separately zip both
    directories first (and copy to a CD etc) so you can get back to square one
    if things go haywire.

    Peter, Dec 6, 2005
  4. XPD

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in news:1133818620.747095.102640
    @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > Is there a program/script I can use which will compare the dirs I give
    > it and move all the newer created/modified files to the right dir ?

    xxcopy has lots of switches.

    http://www.xxcopy.com/index.htm
    http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy01.htm

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Dec 6, 2005
  5. XPD

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On 5 Dec 2005 13:37:00 -0800, in message
     <>, XPD wrote:

    > Got a tricky one... or maybe its easy and my brain isnt figuring it out
    > :p
    >
    > Have a clients PC who has been saving data to 2 different directories
    > by accident when it should all be in one dir. Now he has something
    > along the lines of...
    >
    > c:\data\document1.doc (dated 12/11/05)
    > c:\data2\document1.doc (dated 12/11/04)
    >
    > Now what I need to do is move the newer document to a specified
    > directory (c:\data) - catch is he has oodles of documents and files
    > which need this doing..... most files already exist in both directories
    > but some have been modified and some not.
    > Ive tried using FolderMatch however it will take me forever to do it
    > manually using this.
    > Is there a program/script I can use which will compare the dirs I give
    > it and move all the newer created/modified files to the right dir ?

    XCOPY has a /D option ...

    | /D:date Copies files changed on or after the specified date.
    | If no date is given, copies only those files whose
    | source time is newer than the destination time.

    It looks as if the /D option with no date is what you want.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Politics is the art of getting power and
    privilege without possessing merit.

    Ralph Fox, Dec 6, 2005
  6. On 5 Dec 2005 13:37:00 -0800, "XPD" <> wrote:
    robocopy has heaps of switchs to do the job...

    john
    Images of home (NZ)
    http:\\www.myplace.co.nz/home
    What we are up to in the UK
    http:\\www.myplace.co.nz

    John in Surrey, Dec 6, 2005
  7. XPD

    Guest

    Hi,

    NoClone can find and remove duplicate files regardless of location of
    files, however, it still can't compare with directory strucutre.
    http://noclone.net

    Alan

    XPD wrote:
    > Got a tricky one... or maybe its easy and my brain isnt figuring it out
    > :p
    >
    > Have a clients PC who has been saving data to 2 different directories
    > by accident when it should all be in one dir. Now he has something
    > along the lines of...
    >
    > c:\data\document1.doc (dated 12/11/05)
    > c:\data2\document1.doc (dated 12/11/04)
    >
    > Now what I need to do is move the newer document to a specified
    > directory (c:\data) - catch is he has oodles of documents and files
    > which need this doing..... most files already exist in both directories
    > but some have been modified and some not.
    > Ive tried using FolderMatch however it will take me forever to do it
    > manually using this.
    > Is there a program/script I can use which will compare the dirs I give
    > it and move all the newer created/modified files to the right dir ?
    >
    > TIA

    , Dec 8, 2005