duplex mode on Windows 7 - problem with copying files into USB hard disc

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Netman, Feb 13, 2011.

  1. Netman

    Netman Guest

    Hello!

    My dad has such model of hard disc:
    Seagate BlackAmor NAS220 2TB (USB connection).

    He cannot copied JPG files. The files is being created but it has 0 bytes.
    I have found out that maybe the solution of this problem is like in this
    link below:

    http://forums.seagate.com/t5/BlackA...220-file-copy-fails-for-large-files/m-p/39382

    My dad has Windows 7 and he cannot find such settings in Advance tab of his
    network adapter.
    He doesn`t see the following settings:
    802.1p QoS
    and
    Speed & Duplex
    on Windows 7.

    He has 3 network adapters on his computer, one of them is wi-fi.
    Only one of this network adapters has 802.1..... but it is not exact name
    802.1p QoS.
    Wi-fi adapter doesn`t have Advanced tab and such settings cannot be
    modified.

    My daddy uses wi-fi connection to his router and router connects with
    internet.

    Can you tell me how to change 802.1p QoS to Enabled and how to set Speed &
    Duplex to Auto
    on Windows 7?

    Thank you in advance
    Netm.
    Netman, Feb 13, 2011

  2. Netman

    Paul Guest

    Re: duplex mode on Windows 7 - problem with copying files into USBhard disc

    Netman wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > My dad has such model of hard disc:
    > Seagate BlackAmor NAS220 2TB (USB connection).
    >
    > He cannot copied JPG files. The files is being created but it has 0 bytes.
    > I have found out that maybe the solution of this problem is like in this
    > link below:
    >
    > http://forums.seagate.com/t5/BlackA...220-file-copy-fails-for-large-files/m-p/39382
    >
    > My dad has Windows 7 and he cannot find such settings in Advance tab of his
    > network adapter.
    > He doesn`t see the following settings:
    > 802.1p QoS
    > and
    > Speed & Duplex
    > on Windows 7.
    >
    > He has 3 network adapters on his computer, one of them is wi-fi.
    > Only one of this network adapters has 802.1..... but it is not exact name
    > 802.1p QoS.
    > Wi-fi adapter doesn`t have Advanced tab and such settings cannot be
    > modified.
    >
    > My daddy uses wi-fi connection to his router and router connects with
    > internet.
    >
    > Can you tell me how to change 802.1p QoS to Enabled and how to set Speed &
    > Duplex to Auto
    > on Windows 7?
    >
    > Thank you in advance
    > Netm.

    That isn't exactly a "hard drive". It is Network Attached Storage. As
    near as I can tell, it's a wired unit.

    http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/external/blackarmor/blackarmor_nas_220/

    If you read some of the reviews here (click the feedback tab), the thing has a few problems.
    You can get a firmware upgrade for it. One reviews claims "it likes to move pictures
    where it wants" rather than put them where instructed.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148485

    Firmware

    http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=9e0dfb8ec1503210VgnVCM1000001a48090aRCRD

    The 802.1p and Auto Negotiate settings are for a wired ethernet adapter
    on a computer and appear in Device Manager, under the "Advanced" tab of the
    Properties window for the wired adapter. They would not be appropriate settings
    for Wifi. Wifi has its own adjustments. Wifi is inherently full duplex, without
    any adjustments. The settings might very well have nothing to do with
    the issue. The author of that forum.seagate.com article, was probably connecting
    the NAS220 directly to his desktop PC with an Ethernet cable.

    http://www.netinst.com/newsletter/2009/images/jul/tech2.png

    I would search the contents of the NAS, and see if the JPG file was moved somewhere,
    other than to the target directory.

    You should open the manual for the NAS 220, and "disable" as many advanced
    functions as possible. Perhaps you can get reliable, predictable performance,
    if the more intelligent features are turned off.

    There is a review of the unit here.

    http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-reviews/30884-seagate-blackarmor-nas-220-reviewed?start=1

    To verify performance, I would start with an FTP transfer, and see how
    that works. Maybe it's actually a protocol issue, and one of the other
    protocols (SMB, NFS) isn't working nearly as well. If anything is going to work,
    it should be FTP. That is what I use for transfer rate tests.

    Paul
    Paul, Feb 14, 2011