Duofone switcher

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by pinchee, Jan 26, 2007.

  1. pinchee

    pinchee Guest

    Win XP Pro SP2

    I have this item - a Duofone AFX-200 - that was sold by Radio Shack. From
    what I can surmise from information discovered through Google this item
    switches between fax, auto answer equipment and phones. I have searched in
    a many places as I can for more information, especially if this item
    recognizes between fax calls and normal calls, then switches automatically
    between the two with out having the typical fax noises that are generated
    when both the fax and the telephone are used with one incoming telephone
    line.

    This is a purely selfish request. When I have the fax connected to the one
    incoming line and a call generates the typical fax identifying tones my wife
    raises all kinds of hell with me. She gets probably a dozen calls a day from
    her friends and she does not like those noises. Before I hook up this
    device I would like to know if this thing auto switches between the two, the
    fax and a phone call without having to punch a button or the like.

    I want to use the fax and our home telephones on one line without having to
    have a dedicated fax line.

    I hope this makes sense to someone who uses this item. I do not have the
    manual.

    pinchee, Jan 26, 2007

  2. pinchee wrote:
    > Win XP Pro SP2
    >
    > I have this item - a Duofone AFX-200 - that was sold by Radio Shack. From
    > what I can surmise from information discovered through Google this item
    > switches between fax, auto answer equipment and phones. I have searched in
    > a many places as I can for more information, especially if this item
    > recognizes between fax calls and normal calls, then switches automatically
    > between the two with out having the typical fax noises that are generated
    > when both the fax and the telephone are used with one incoming telephone
    > line.
    >
    > This is a purely selfish request. When I have the fax connected to the one
    > incoming line and a call generates the typical fax identifying tones my wife
    > raises all kinds of hell with me. She gets probably a dozen calls a day from
    > her friends and she does not like those noises. Before I hook up this
    > device I would like to know if this thing auto switches between the two, the
    > fax and a phone call without having to punch a button or the like.

    Doesn't sound like it without distinctive ring, according to this
    document, which I presume you've read:

    <q>

    AFX-200 (430-1243) Features Faxback Doc. # 3629

    Your DUoFONE AFX-200 Fax Switch lets you use your telephone, an answering
    machine, and a fax machine all on the same telephone line, eliminating the
    teed and extra expense of two phone lines. When a call comes in, you can
    answer it personally or let your answering machine answer the call. If the
    fax switch hears tones from a fax machine, it directs the call to your fax
    machine. If the call is a regular voice call, you can carry on a normal
    conversation, or the answering machine records the caller's message as
    usual.

    You can also use the fax switch with a computer modem to switch modem
    calls to your computer and fax calls to your fax machine.

    You can have your fax switch immediately route fax calls to your fax
    machine if your subscribe to a special telephone company service called
    distinctive ringing. With this service, you have a second telephone
    number assigned to your single telephone line. When a call comes in
    on that number, the telephone rings with a special double ring.

    Note: Distinctive ringing is not available in all areas. Check with
    your telephone company's business office for availability and
    details.

    Your fax switch is easy to install. It connects to existing telephone
    jacks and requires no special wiring. it also is compatible with most
    single- and multi-line non-KSU (key system unit) telephones, and it
    works with most telephone answering machines and modems.

    (/all-12/13/94)

    </q>

    http://www.oldskool.org/guides/tvdog/faxback.html
    ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/tvdog/tandy1000/faxback/03629.txt

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 26, 2007

  3. pinchee

    pinchee Guest

    Blinky:
    Thank you for your response. Yes, I had read the article you supplied and
    the link. Problem is I'm an old person and I had a hard time recognizing
    what I had read. To you young and experienced people such information is
    easy to assimilate - not so me. If they do not print it in a clear method
    I'm sunk. Thank you again for the prompt and cogent response.

    pinchee, Jan 26, 2007
  4. pinchee wrote:
    > Blinky:
    > Thank you for your response. Yes, I had read the article you supplied and
    > the link. Problem is I'm an old person and I had a hard time recognizing
    > what I had read. To you young and experienced people such information is
    > easy to assimilate - not so me. If they do not print it in a clear method
    > I'm sunk. Thank you again for the prompt and cogent response.

    You're welcome, pinchee. And I'll be 60 in June.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 26, 2007
  5. pinchee

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > pinchee wrote:
    >> Blinky:
    >> Thank you for your response. Yes, I had read the article you
    >> supplied and the link. Problem is I'm an old person and I had a
    >> hard time recognizing what I had read. To you young and experienced
    >> people such information is easy to assimilate - not so me. If they
    >> do not print it in a clear method I'm sunk. Thank you again for
    >> the prompt and cogent response.

    > You're welcome, pinchee. And I'll be 60 in June.

    Which, for a spiny dogfish shark, is doing pretty good ;)

    TT

    WhzzKdd, Jan 26, 2007
  6. WhzzKdd wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> pinchee wrote:
    >>> Blinky:
    >>> Thank you for your response. Yes, I had read the article you
    >>> supplied and the link. Problem is I'm an old person and I had a
    >>> hard time recognizing what I had read. To you young and experienced
    >>> people such information is easy to assimilate - not so me. If they
    >>> do not print it in a clear method I'm sunk. Thank you again for
    >>> the prompt and cogent response.

    >> You're welcome, pinchee. And I'll be 60 in June.

    > Which, for a spiny dogfish shark, is doing pretty good ;)

    But what is that in human years? :)

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 26, 2007
  7. pinchee

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > WhzzKdd wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>>
    >>> You're welcome, pinchee. And I'll be 60 in June.

    >> Which, for a spiny dogfish shark, is doing pretty good ;)

    > But what is that in human years? :)

    LOL!!

    WhzzKdd, Jan 27, 2007
  8. pinchee

    morrisamazon

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Duofone AFX-200

    Can I use the AFX-200 in an VOiP (Voice Over internet Protocol) telephone service enviroment? The instructions seem to be quite dated (1996) and probably referred to POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) or wireline service. Thanks for your help.

    morrisamazon, Oct 11, 2009