    support.

    Wants a machine for games and assignments.

    Ferg

    Ferg, Dec 20, 2003

  2. Ferg

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <bs0aq2$5q1$>,
    "Ferg" <> wrote:

    > What are people's recommendations for buying computers in Dunedin. My friend
    > who is moving there is a relative beginner so mostly he will need good
    > support.
    >
    > Wants a machine for games and assignments.

    Might get a better response in the Dunedin newsgroup so I've
    cross-posted it. My opinion? There's Magnum Mac on Crawford St :)

    --
    madknoxie

    madknoxie, Dec 20, 2003

  3. Ferg

    T.N.O. Guest

    Ferg wrote:

    > What are people's recommendations for buying computers in Dunedin. My friend
    > who is moving there is a relative beginner so mostly he will need good
    > support.

    Irvine Computers... not the cheapest, but really good guy(the owner) and
    his sidekick is alright too.

    Depending on the games, a Dell with a video card upgrade from Hardly
    Normal/Noel Lemmings/Big Bites or similar could be ok?

    T.N.O., Dec 20, 2003
  4. Ferg

    Tony Guest

    I second the irvine computers recommendation

    tony

    Tony, Dec 20, 2003
  5. Ferg

    Steven H Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 15:05:46 +1300, Ferg wrote:

    > What are people's recommendations for buying computers in Dunedin. My friend
    > who is moving there is a relative beginner so mostly he will need good
    > support.
    >
    > Wants a machine for games and assignments.
    >
    > Ferg

    put simply - dont

    i got burned not once nor twice but THREE TIMES by purchasing computer
    equipment of dunedin firms and then the buggars going under.

    one of the firms i didnt really give a shit about kl's computers (long
    story) but the other two still got a lot of my money and still went under.

    that taught me to look for more established firms nationally - havent been
    burnt since.

    Steven H, Dec 20, 2003
  6. Ferg

    T.N.O. Guest

    Steven H wrote:
    > i got burned not once nor twice but THREE TIMES by purchasing computer
    > equipment of dunedin firms and then the buggars going under.
    > one of the firms i didnt really give a shit about kl's computers (long
    > story) but the other two still got a lot of my money and still went under.

    Which were the other two?

    T.N.O., Dec 20, 2003
  7. Ferg

    Lebowski Guest

    "madknoxie" <> wrote in message
    > In article <bs0aq2$5q1$>,
    > "Ferg" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > Wants a machine for games...

    > There's Magnum Mac on Crawford St :)

    LOL! :))

    Lebowski, Dec 20, 2003
  8. Ferg

    Lebowski Guest

    "Steven H" <> wrote in message

    > that taught me to look for more established firms nationally - havent been
    > burnt since.

    Yeah who cares where these firms are based...just get the best price and get
    your components couriered to you overnight.

    Let pricespy be your friend www.pricespy.co.nz

    Lebowski, Dec 20, 2003
  9. Ferg

    Gurble Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 16:48:24 +1300, madknoxie
    <> wrote:

    >In article <bs0aq2$5q1$>,
    > "Ferg" <> wrote:
    >
    >> What are people's recommendations for buying computers in Dunedin. My friend
    >> who is moving there is a relative beginner so mostly he will need good
    >> support.
    >>
    >> Wants a machine for games and assignments.

    >Might get a better response in the Dunedin newsgroup so I've
    >cross-posted it. My opinion? There's Magnum Mac on Crawford St :)

    Well, I can't recommend Prosouth on Cumberland Street enough.

    I've purchased from them for well over a year (from when they were
    still a home business), and have always been happy with the service
    they have offered.

    The most excellent thing about those guys is that they actually know
    what they are talking about - which is more than can be said for some
    of the others.

    Also, when I did get a couple of faulty components over this time,
    they replaced them on the spot, no hassles whatsoever.

    2c

    Gurble, Dec 20, 2003
  10. Ferg

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <>,
    "Lebowski" <> wrote:

    > "madknoxie" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <bs0aq2$5q1$>,
    > > "Ferg" <> wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Wants a machine for games...

    > > There's Magnum Mac on Crawford St :)
    > >

    > LOL! :))

    Hehe, well in defense:

    Apple's online store, games section:
    http://tinyurl.com/2tk94

    Mac OSX games download section (7 pages of games):
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/games/

    And if you really want to:
    http://tinyurl.com/k10m

    --
    madknoxie

    madknoxie, Dec 20, 2003
  11. Ferg

    T.N.O. Guest

    Lebowski wrote:
    >>that taught me to look for more established firms nationally - havent been
    >>burnt since.

    > Yeah who cares where these firms are based...just get the best price and get
    > your components couriered to you overnight.
    > Let pricespy be your friend www.pricespy.co.nz

    Price is not the only issue at hand though... good support was one of
    the listed things.

    T.N.O., Dec 21, 2003
  12. Ferg

    Ferg Guest

    Thanks for all the replies. Support is crucial for my friend. I will tell
    him about the Irvine and Prosouth recommendations.

    Ferg

    Ferg, Dec 22, 2003
  13. Ferg

    Steven H Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:10:43 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

    > Steven H wrote:
    >> i got burned not once nor twice but THREE TIMES by purchasing computer
    >> equipment of dunedin firms and then the buggars going under.
    >> one of the firms i didnt really give a shit about kl's computers (long
    >> story) but the other two still got a lot of my money and still went under.

    > Which were the other two?

    PC General, Southern Computing

    Steven H, Dec 22, 2003
  14. Ferg

    T.N.O. Guest

    Steven H wrote:
    >>>i got burned not once nor twice but THREE TIMES by purchasing computer
    >>>equipment of dunedin firms and then the buggars going under.
    >>>one of the firms i didnt really give a shit about kl's computers (long
    >>>story) but the other two still got a lot of my money and still went under.

    >>Which were the other two?

    > PC General, Southern Computing

    Pc General were hardly just a Dunedin Outfit... they were a damn big
    place much like The PC Company :)

    Who/Where were Southern Computing?

    T.N.O., Dec 22, 2003
  15. Ferg

    Steven H Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 12:42:10 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

    >>>Which were the other two?

    >> PC General, Southern Computing

    > Pc General were hardly just a Dunedin Outfit... they were a damn big
    > place much like The PC Company :)
    >
    > Who/Where were Southern Computing?

    IIRC Southern Computing (or Computers) were around Moray Place - basically
    opposate the church - in a yellow building.

    Steven H, Dec 23, 2003
  16. Ferg

    T.N.O. Guest

    Steven H wrote:
    >>Pc General were hardly just a Dunedin Outfit... they were a damn big
    >>place much like The PC Company :)

    >>Who/Where were Southern Computing?

    > IIRC Southern Computing (or Computers) were around Moray Place - basically
    > opposate the church - in a yellow building.

    I think I remember them, just down from where toast is? by the AA kinda,
    anyway... they must have died a while ago.

    T.N.O., Dec 23, 2003
  17. Ferg

    back again Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in

    > Steven H wrote:
    >>>Pc General were hardly just a Dunedin Outfit... they were a damn big
    >>>place much like The PC Company :)

    >>>Who/Where were Southern Computing?

    >> IIRC Southern Computing (or Computers) were around Moray Place -
    >> basically opposate the church - in a yellow building.

    > I think I remember them, just down from where toast is? by the AA
    > kinda, anyway... they must have died a while ago.

    They folded not long after PC General fell over.

    I suspect this is mainly because they were opposite PC General and got a
    lot of foot traffic from people that went to PC General and then wandered
    over to compare prices...

    back again, Dec 23, 2003