    What happened to the Dune release? I was waiting for it (even bought
    some brown sugar cinnamon Pop-Tarts) to come out.

    What happened THIS time so we have to wait another few months?

    Barf, Jun 4, 2005

  2. Barf

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Barf" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > What happened to the Dune release? I was waiting for it (even bought
    > some brown sugar cinnamon Pop-Tarts) to come out.
    >
    > What happened THIS time so we have to wait another few months?

    It's been delayed. No explanation given.

    Don't believe any rumors Digital Bits may spread that David Lynch wanted
    to restore the movie. He is not and has never been interested in
    revisting the film.

    Joshua Zyber, Jun 4, 2005

  3. Barf

    TB Guest

    "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

    > Per Barf:
    >>What happened to the Dune release?

    > Could somebody elaborate?
    >
    > Longer version?

    Supposedly, a new dvd set probably running 3 discs is being produced for a
    late '05 release with or without Lynch's input depending on who you believe.
    The set would have both the theatrical version and the longer of the two
    extended "TV" cuts that I believe was broadcast on the Sci-Fi channel years
    ago (that Lynch hated and wouldn't allow his name to be used in the credits
    as director) which would probably have all the unfinished effects completed
    and probably include even more scenes than the extended cut had.

    FWIW, "Dune" has been officially released in both versions on dvd with the
    extended cut being the 80's tv version in Japan and Europe but both sets are
    fairly mediocre coming from video, not film sources and in the European
    version, I don't think it's even in stereo.

    T.B.

    TB, Jun 5, 2005
  4. Per Barf:

    --
    PeteCresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Jun 5, 2005
  5. Barf

    Bob Guest

    On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 01:06:49 GMT, "TB" <>
    wrote:

    >>>What happened to the Dune release?

    >> Could somebody elaborate?

    >> Longer version?

    >Supposedly, a new dvd set probably running 3 discs is being produced for a
    >late '05 release with or without Lynch's input depending on who you believe.
    >The set would have both the theatrical version and the longer of the two
    >extended "TV" cuts that I believe was broadcast on the Sci-Fi channel years
    >ago (that Lynch hated and wouldn't allow his name to be used in the credits
    >as director) which would probably have all the unfinished effects completed
    >and probably include even more scenes than the extended cut had.

    >FWIW, "Dune" has been officially released in both versions on dvd with the
    >extended cut being the 80's tv version in Japan and Europe but both sets are
    >fairly mediocre coming from video, not film sources and in the European
    >version, I don't think it's even in stereo.

    Why this fascination with editing Dune? The original is the only one
    worth watching - none of the other edits are any good IMO.

    Bob, Jun 5, 2005
  6. Barf

    TB Guest

    "Bob" wrote:

    (snip)

    > Why this fascination with editing Dune? The original is the only one
    > worth watching - none of the other edits are any good IMO.

    I disagree. Of course, the movie in any form is far from perfect but I
    personally liked most of what is included in the expanded cut(s) of the
    movie simply for the sake of elaborating and tying together some key points
    lost in the theatrical version.

    T.B.

    TB, Jun 5, 2005
  7. Barf

    jayembee Guest

    (Bob) wrote:

    > "TB" <> wrote:
    >
    >> The set would have both the theatrical version and the longer of the two
    >> extended "TV" cuts that I believe was broadcast on the Sci-Fi channel years
    >> ago (that Lynch hated and wouldn't allow his name to be used in the credits
    >> as director) [...]

    Or as writer.

    > Why this fascination with editing Dune? The original is the only one
    > worth watching - none of the other edits are any good IMO.

    Even the original version is garbage. The longer TV version (of Lynch's film) is
    just as bad, except that there's more of it.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jun 6, 2005
  8. Barf

    Bob Guest

    On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 05:38:19 GMT, jayembee
    <> wrote:

    >Even the original version is garbage.

    The critics didn't like it too. But I have watched it at least 20
    times over the past 10 years.

    There is something about it that I find interesting although I can't
    tell you exactly what it is. I suspect it has to do with an advanced
    culture existing in the Universe.

    Anyway, David Lynch is one of my alltime favorite directors. I have
    everyone of his works and watch them from time to time. Each one is
    unique, almost redefining a particular genre. For example, Dennis
    Hopper and Dean Stockwell in Blue Velvet are quintessential madness
    presented in a way I have never seen before.

    Lynch's Dune is comic book epic fantasy. I will never forget the scene
    where they fold space.

    --

    Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
    http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html

    "Nothing in the world can take the place of perseverence. Talent
    will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education
    will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and
    determination alone are omnipotent."
    --Calvin Coolidge

    Bob, Jun 6, 2005
  9. Barf

    Howard Guest

    "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote in

    > Per Bob:
    >>The original is the only one
    >>worth watching - none of the other edits are any good IMO.

    > I've only seen the original, but I saw it after having read the book.
    >
    > My reaction dismay at how little of the book's story got into the film.
    > I'm not even sure I could have followed the story line if I hadn't read
    > the book first.
    >
    > Seemed to me like the movie needed to be one of those 4-5 hour marathons
    > where the theater has breaks between sections.

    Alas, this theory was killed by the SciFi Channel. It has been said for
    years that the book didn't fit into a movie, that it should be a
    miniseries.

    Turns out that the format really doesn't matter if the book wasn't
    understood in the first place.

    . Cabal# 24601-fnord | Sleep is irrelevant.

    Howard, Jun 7, 2005
  10. Barf

    Bob Guest

    On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 19:14:32 -0700, "(PeteCresswell)" <>
    wrote:

    >My reaction dismay at how little of the book's story got into the film.

    I am one of those who did not read the book. My son read it after
    seeing Lynch's film.

    Both of us like the film.

    Bob, Jun 7, 2005
  11. Per Bob:

    (PeteCresswell), Jun 7, 2005
  12. "Bob" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 19:14:32 -0700, "(PeteCresswell)" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >My reaction dismay at how little of the book's story got into the film.

    > I am one of those who did not read the book. My son read it after
    > seeing Lynch's film.
    >
    > Both of us like the film.

    I read the Book after seeing the movie, and I liked the movie too. I not
    sure if I would have like the movie, if I had read the book first though....

    Quantum Leaper, Jun 7, 2005
  13. Barf

    Guest

    Joshua Zyber wrote:
    > > What happened THIS time so we have to wait another few months?

    > It's been delayed. No explanation given.

    Ah, David Lynch movies--the bane of DVD releases. Since 1997, I have
    waited for this man's movies to come out. And for 8 years, they have
    trickled out painfully slowly--all with significant delays, promises of
    extra materials that never materialized, and region-release confusion.

    And, after all that time, we still don't have the 2nd season of Twin
    Peaks, an anamorphic Dune, or Lost Highway.

    -Eric

    , Jun 8, 2005
  14. Barf

    Jim Guest

    On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 11:42:53 GMT, "Joshua Zyber"
    <> wrote:

    >"Barf" <> wrote in message
    >> What happened to the Dune release? I was waiting for it (even bought
    >> some brown sugar cinnamon Pop-Tarts) to come out.
    >>
    >> What happened THIS time so we have to wait another few months?

    >It's been delayed. No explanation given.
    >
    >Don't believe any rumors Digital Bits may spread that David Lynch wanted
    >to restore the movie. He is not and has never been interested in
    >revisting the film.

    Not wanting to revisit nor having any interest in Dune sounds a lot
    like David Lynch's attitude towards Twin Peaks. Leave the series
    hanging at the end, make a prequel instead, and then don't
    participate in releasing the series on DVD.

    Then A&E or whoever was going to release the 2nd season cancelled it,
    and it seems the rights move like a hot potato from one group to
    another. I don't follow it closely, but that's what I think I read,
    and I wonder if anyone is ever going to release the 2nd season.

    So this treatment seems typical of the way Lynch treats his only works
    I consider any good. I guess he holds as strong a disdain toward Dune
    and Twin Peaks as I hold toward everything else he has done. For a
    while after Dune and Twin Peaks, I'd watch his movies on AMC hoping
    they'd be good, but each has been so bad that I now refuse to watch
    anything he touches. I have to assume Dune and Twin Peaks were good in
    spite of him and not because of him.

    The only thing that made Blue Velvet barely watchable one time for me
    was Dennis Hopper. Someone I used to know long ago would often put his
    hand over his mouth, take a deep breath, and say "Don't look at me!"
    The only thing I gained from Blue Velvet is that I finally learned
    what he was referring to.

    Well, those are my 2 cents worth of opinions.

    Jim, Jun 9, 2005
  15. Jim wrote:

    > Not wanting to revisit nor having any interest in Dune sounds a lot
    > like David Lynch's attitude towards Twin Peaks. Leave the series
    > hanging at the end, make a prequel instead, and then don't
    > participate in releasing the series on DVD.

    "Leave it hanging"?--
    They honestly thought they'd be renewed (or at least use the Movie to
    tie it up...well, so much for that idea), while the viewers were writing
    in to ABC to mercy-cancel it.

    Believe me, the bitter end wasn't Lynch's idea, and the ideas we *were*
    getting from him at that time weren't all that structurally sound. The
    jury's out on whether he was, either.

    > So this treatment seems typical of the way Lynch treats his only works
    > I consider any good. I guess he holds as strong a disdain toward Dune
    > and Twin Peaks as I hold toward everything else he has done. For a
    > while after Dune and Twin Peaks, I'd watch his movies on AMC hoping
    > they'd be good, but each has been so bad that I now refuse to watch
    > anything he touches.

    Well, have to admit, "The Elephant Man" (aka "Eraserhead: the Mainstream
    Version") was the only other closest thing we've had to a Good David
    Lynch Movie...
    Admittedly, that was *before* he went all goofball during Twin:S2, but
    just gives you an idea of What Could've Been.

    Oh, yeah, that, and "The Straight Story"--which was even *post*-TP:S2,
    BION--even though he still managed to slip some of the screaming-meemies
    into that one.

    Derek Janssen (who only watched a couple episodes of "American Chronicles")

    Derek Janssen, Jun 9, 2005
  16. Barf

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 11:42:53 GMT, Joshua Zyber <> wrote:

    >"Barf" <> wrote in message
    >> What happened to the Dune release? I was waiting for it (even bought
    >> some brown sugar cinnamon Pop-Tarts) to come out.
    >>
    >> What happened THIS time so we have to wait another few months?

    >It's been delayed. No explanation given.

    >Don't believe any rumors Digital Bits may spread that David Lynch wanted
    >to restore the movie. He is not and has never been interested in
    >revisting the film.

    My god, why would anybody ever want to see the pile of garbage again?

    Replacing the fact that the fremen were as fierce as the saudakar due to the
    environement with "wierding modules" was just pathetic. The entire plot of the
    original story was destroyed.

    AZ Nomad, Jun 9, 2005
  17. Barf

    Bob Guest

    On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 13:50:32 GMT, AZ Nomad <>
    wrote:

    >My god, why would anybody ever want to see the pile of garbage again?

    For many it was not a pile of garbage.

    >Replacing the fact that the fremen were as fierce as the saudakar due to the
    >environement with "wierding modules" was just pathetic. The entire plot of the
    >original story was destroyed.

    I never read the book so I do not know what you are talking about.

    Futhermore I don't care.

    Bob, Jun 9, 2005
  18. Barf

    Jordan Guest

    Or "On the Air" - the Twin Peaks contractual obligation show that
    finished the time assigned to the second season. :^)

    - Jordan

    Jordan, Jun 9, 2005
  19. Barf

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 14:52:13 GMT, Bob <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 13:50:32 GMT, AZ Nomad <>
    >wrote:

    >>My god, why would anybody ever want to see the pile of garbage again?

    >For many it was not a pile of garbage.

    >>Replacing the fact that the fremen were as fierce as the saudakar due to the
    >>environement with "wierding modules" was just pathetic. The entire plot of the
    >>original story was destroyed.

    >I never read the book so I do not know what you are talking about.

    Obviously. And you missed out on a great one.

    >Futhermore I don't care.

    Ignorant and you don't care about it. Just pathetic. As pathetic as the movie
    Dune.

    AZ Nomad, Jun 9, 2005
  20. Barf

    jayembee Guest

    (Jim) wrote:

    > Not wanting to revisit nor having any interest in Dune sounds a lot
    > like David Lynch's attitude towards Twin Peaks. Leave the series
    > hanging at the end, make a prequel instead, and then don't
    > participate in releasing the series on DVD.

    Actually, he did participate in releasing TP to DVD. He was the source of
    the prints used for the DVDs.

    > Then A&E or whoever was going to release the 2nd season cancelled it,
    > and it seems the rights move like a hot potato from one group to
    > another. I don't follow it closely, but that's what I think I read,
    > and I wonder if anyone is ever going to release the 2nd season.

    It was Artisan. They decided against releasing Season 2 because sales on S1
    didn't cover the production costs.

    In the meantime, the rights reverted to Paramount, who *do* have plans to
    release Season 2.

    > So this treatment seems typical of the way Lynch treats his only works
    > I consider any good. I guess he holds as strong a disdain toward Dune
    > and Twin Peaks as I hold toward everything else he has done. For a
    > while after Dune and Twin Peaks, I'd watch his movies on AMC hoping
    > they'd be good, but each has been so bad that I now refuse to watch
    > anything he touches. I have to assume Dune and Twin Peaks were good in
    > spite of him and not because of him.

    Different strokes. I've liked just about everything he's made. The one exception
    is DUNE, which I find excreble

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jun 13, 2005