Dune R2 PAL uncut/extended version?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by TB, Jun 20, 2004.

  1. TB

    TB Guest

    I've noticed a few copies of what appears to be an official "extended"
    cut version of David Lynch's "Dune" that's out on R2 Pal dvd. It appears
    it's not quite the old tv version but it's far longer then the original
    theatrical release and it looks like it's completely in anamorphic
    widescreen with a new DD 5.1 soundtrack. It also has a few decent extras
    including a new "making of" feature.

    Can anyone shed some light on if this simply the old tv cut or if it is
    a "new" extended cut that differs from previous versions? I remember
    some effects on the tv cut's scenes being unfinished such as some
    actor's eyes not being correctly colored and so on. Is this still the
    case? Are the extra scenes originally in the tv cut over matted from the
    fullscreen broadcast or did they go back and use the original scenes and
    properly matt them in accordance with the rest of the film? What the
    video quality like compared to previous home video releases? And who
    good is the newly "remastered" soundtrack?

    Thanks in advance,

    T.B.

    TB, Jun 20, 2004

  2. TB

    napalm68 Guest

    It is the theatrical cut, with a very nice transfer. I think the extra time
    some sites may mention is the doco included.

    napalm68, Jun 20, 2004

  3. TB

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "TB" <> wrote in message
    > I've noticed a few copies of what appears to be an official "extended"
    > cut version of David Lynch's "Dune" that's out on R2 Pal dvd. It

    appears
    > it's not quite the old tv version but it's far longer then the

    original
    > theatrical release and it looks like it's completely in anamorphic
    > widescreen with a new DD 5.1 soundtrack. It also has a few decent

    extras
    > including a new "making of" feature.

    The disc you're referring to is the theatrical cut of the film. The
    longer TV version was also previously released on DVD in R2, in pan &
    scan because that is the only format the TV cut exists in (it was edited
    together after the video transfer).

    Joshua Zyber, Jun 20, 2004
  4. Chris@DVDDebate, Jun 20, 2004
  5. TB

    Guest

    On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 14:57:26 GMT, "Joshua Zyber"
    <> wrote:

    >"TB" <> wrote in message
    >> I've noticed a few copies of what appears to be an official "extended"
    >> cut version of David Lynch's "Dune" that's out on R2 Pal dvd. It

    >appears
    >> it's not quite the old tv version but it's far longer then the

    >original
    >> theatrical release and it looks like it's completely in anamorphic
    >> widescreen with a new DD 5.1 soundtrack. It also has a few decent

    >extras
    >> including a new "making of" feature.

    >The disc you're referring to is the theatrical cut of the film. The
    >longer TV version was also previously released on DVD in R2, in pan &
    >scan because that is the only format the TV cut exists in (it was edited
    >together after the video transfer).

    There is also an NTSC jap R 2 version in stereo.
    Someone has told me the pal r2 version is not in stereo even tho the
    box says it is.

    , Jun 20, 2004
  6. TB

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Chris@DVDDebate" <> wrote in message
    > We have a full review of this new release of Dune Special Edition

    (from
    > Sanctuary) here:
    >
    > http://www.dvddebate.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=4155

    You go much easier than the video transfer than I would. Your review's
    comment about the "stunning sharpness and detail" is rather perplexing,
    as that is not what I see on the disc at all. The picture is rather soft
    and heavily filtered, destroying textural detail in the image.

    I own a lot of different copies of this movie, summarized here:

    http://www.mindspring.com/~dunestuff/#Video

    The German "Perfect Collection" disc looks significantly better than the
    UK "Special Edition", though the English 5.1 track is a disaster.

    Joshua Zyber, Jun 21, 2004