    Anybody know if there's an ultra-long edition of 'Dune' available?
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (Pete Cresswell), Feb 14, 2005

  2. (Pete Cresswell)

    jayembee Guest

    "(Pete Cresswell)" <> wrote:

    > From the story line/plot and from what I'd read about shooting it; it seems like
    > 'Dune' could be about 12 hours long if they included all or just most of what
    > was shot.
    >
    > Anybody know if there's an ultra-long edition of 'Dune' available?

    There has never been any credible evidence that there was any version
    of Lynch's DUNE assembled that was longer than the "Smithee" cut.

    I still don't believe that 12 hours worth of footage was shot, but
    even if it was, most of the extra footage would likely to be alternate
    takes of existing scenes, which would be unusable in assembling a
    "complete" version.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Feb 14, 2005

  3. (Pete Cresswell)

    TCS Guest

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:50:15 GMT, jayembee <> wrote:
    >"(Pete Cresswell)" <> wrote:

    >> From the story line/plot and from what I'd read about shooting it; it seems like
    >> 'Dune' could be about 12 hours long if they included all or just most of what
    >> was shot.
    >>
    >> Anybody know if there's an ultra-long edition of 'Dune' available?

    >There has never been any credible evidence that there was any version
    >of Lynch's DUNE assembled that was longer than the "Smithee" cut.

    >I still don't believe that 12 hours worth of footage was shot, but
    >even if it was, most of the extra footage would likely to be alternate
    >takes of existing scenes, which would be unusable in assembling a
    >"complete" version.

    then there's the song'n'dance version...

    TCS, Feb 14, 2005
  4. (Pete Cresswell)

    Meng Guest

    TCS wrote:

    > On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:50:15 GMT, jayembee <> wrote:
    >
    >>"(Pete Cresswell)" <> wrote:

    >>>From the story line/plot and from what I'd read about shooting it; it seems like
    >>>'Dune' could be about 12 hours long if they included all or just most of what
    >>>was shot.
    >>>
    >>>Anybody know if there's an ultra-long edition of 'Dune' available?

    >>There has never been any credible evidence that there was any version
    >>of Lynch's DUNE assembled that was longer than the "Smithee" cut.

    >>I still don't believe that 12 hours worth of footage was shot, but
    >>even if it was, most of the extra footage would likely to be alternate
    >>takes of existing scenes, which would be unusable in assembling a
    >>"complete" version.

    > then there's the song'n'dance version...

    I thought "Dune on Ice" was a bit ambitious ...

    Meng, Feb 15, 2005
  5. (Pete Cresswell)

    theyak Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > From the story line/plot and from what I'd read about shooting it; it seems like
    > 'Dune' could be about 12 hours long if they included all or just most of what
    > was shot.
    >
    > Anybody know if there's an ultra-long edition of 'Dune' available?

    There have been rumors ever since it was made of a 10 hour cut, but the
    longest finished cut to actually exist is the Smithee version.

    theyak, Feb 15, 2005
  6. (Pete Cresswell)

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "theyak" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, says...
    >> From the story line/plot and from what I'd read about shooting it; it
    >> seems like
    >> 'Dune' could be about 12 hours long if they included all or just most
    >> of what
    >> was shot.
    >>
    >> Anybody know if there's an ultra-long edition of 'Dune' available?

    > There have been rumors ever since it was made of a 10 hour cut,

    Nuh uh, there was a 150,000 hour cut too. And it was all ready to go to
    theaters too, until they cut it down to two hours the day before
    release. Honest.

    Joshua Zyber, Feb 15, 2005
  7. (Pete Cresswell)

    Rich Clark Guest

    (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
    > From the story line/plot and from what I'd read about shooting it; it

    seems like
    > 'Dune' could be about 12 hours long if they included all or just most

    of what
    > was shot.
    >
    > Anybody know if there's an ultra-long edition of 'Dune' available?

    Yes, indeed, untold tens of millions of dollars were spent to write the
    script, build the sets, pay the crew, rehearse the actors, and spend
    the six months it would take to create 10 extra hours of story content
    for this film.

    The sad part is that all the footage of Elvis as a spice worm was lost.

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Feb 15, 2005