Dune: How Many Productions?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Donna B, Sep 9, 2005.

  1. Donna B

    Donna B Guest

    In alt.video.dvd on Thu, 08 Sep 2005 22:16:07 -0400 in Msg.#
    <>, "(PeteCresswell)"
    <> wrote:

    > Already had a copy of "Dune" and it was the one I recall seeing in the movie
    > theater.
    >
    > Saw another package at Circuit city for ten bucks - touting extra footage and
    > other stuff.
    >
    > Bought it, popped it in the player...
    >
    > Totally different production.
    >
    > Anybody know how many of makes of Dune there are?

    2 plus CHILDREN OF DUNE.

    Theatrical release of DUNE
    SCIFI channel mini-series of DUNE
    SCIFI channel mini-series of CHILDREN OF DUNE

    Donna B, Sep 9, 2005

  2. Donna B

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 22:16:07 -0400, (PeteCresswell) <> wrote:

    >Already had a copy of "Dune" and it was the one I recall seeing in the movie
    >theater.

    >Saw another package at Circuit city for ten bucks - touting extra footage and
    >other stuff.

    >Bought it, popped it in the player...

    >Totally different production.

    >Anybody know how many of makes of Dune there are?

    Go to www.imdb.com/search.html, search for "dune"

    I have yet to see one with quality acting *and* a decent screenplay.

    Dave Lynch totally downplayed the reason for the fremen's ferocity (being on a
    hostile planet very much like the Saudakar from Salusa Secundus) The "weirding
    modules" were simply pathetic. I understood that movies based on books can
    never carry every detail from the book or even 10%, but this point was key to
    the whole reason the Atredes got sent to Dune and how Paul was able to
    overthrow the emperor. The stupid "weirding modules" wasn't any timesaver.

    The sci-fi channel's version was closer to the original plot, but I found the
    acting so lifeless and dull that I couldn't sit through the whole mess. It was
    painful to watch.

    AZ Nomad, Sep 9, 2005

  3. Donna B

    Meng Guest

    Donna B wrote:
    > In alt.video.dvd on Thu, 08 Sep 2005 22:16:07 -0400 in Msg.#
    > <>, "(PeteCresswell)"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Already had a copy of "Dune" and it was the one I recall seeing in the movie
    >>theater.
    >>
    >>Saw another package at Circuit city for ten bucks - touting extra footage and
    >>other stuff.
    >>
    >>Bought it, popped it in the player...
    >>
    >>Totally different production.
    >>
    >>Anybody know how many of makes of Dune there are?

    > 2 plus CHILDREN OF DUNE.
    >
    > Theatrical release of DUNE
    > SCIFI channel mini-series of DUNE
    > SCIFI channel mini-series of CHILDREN OF DUNE

    .... and not forgetting the 3-hour(?) "TV" version of the Lynch movie
    directed by Alan Smithee.

    Meng, Sep 9, 2005
  4. Donna B

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    Re: How Many Productions?

    "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote in message
    > Already had a copy of "Dune" and it was the one I recall seeing in the
    > movie
    > theater.
    >
    > Saw another package at Circuit city for ten bucks - touting extra
    > footage and
    > other stuff.
    >
    > Bought it, popped it in the player...
    >
    > Totally different production.
    >
    > Anybody know how many of makes of Dune there are?

    David Lynch directed a movie version in 1984 starring Kyle MacLachlan.

    In 1985, MCA-TV recut the film without Lynch's approval and added lots
    of cartoon drawings. This played in television syndication (usually as a
    2-part miniseries) and was credited to the pseudonym "Alan Smithee".
    This is sometimes erroneously referred to as a "Director's Cut", when in
    fact the director had his name removed from it.

    In 2000, the Sci Fi Channel produced a new 3-part miniseries adaptation
    of the novel directed by John Harrison and starring William Hurt. The
    official title is "Frank Herbert's Dune". This was released on DVD in
    two versions: one that is identical to the TV airing and a later
    "Director's Cut" with added footage.

    In 2003, a sequel miniseries "Frank Herbert's Children of Dune" based on
    a consolidation of the 2nd and 3rd novels in the Frank Herbert series
    was directed by Greg Yaitanes and aired on the Sci Fi Channel.

    Joshua Zyber, Sep 9, 2005
  5. Donna B

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Donna B wrote:
    > In alt.video.dvd on Thu, 08 Sep 2005 22:16:07 -0400 in Msg.#
    > <>, "(PeteCresswell)"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Already had a copy of "Dune" and it was the one I recall seeing in the movie
    >>theater.
    >>
    >>Saw another package at Circuit city for ten bucks - touting extra footage and
    >>other stuff.
    >>
    >>Bought it, popped it in the player...
    >>
    >>Totally different production.
    >>
    >>Anybody know how many of makes of Dune there are?

    > 2 plus CHILDREN OF DUNE.
    >
    > Theatrical release of DUNE
    > SCIFI channel mini-series of DUNE
    > SCIFI channel mini-series of CHILDREN OF DUNE

    There are two versions of the SciFi mini-series of Dune. The "regular"
    version and the "director's" cut.

    dick

    (PeteCresswell), Sep 9, 2005
  7. (PeteCresswell) wrote:

    > Already had a copy of "Dune" and it was the one I recall seeing in the movie
    > theater.
    >
    > Anybody know how many of makes of Dune there are?

    Two:
    1) The snore-pie David Lynch "Will you KNOCK IT OFF with that damn
    whispering??" theatrical one, and
    2) the "Made for cable, but hey, at least it's the book" Sci-Fi Channel
    version.

    ....If it had William Hurt in it, it's 2), but less painful, not to
    mention they also did the sequel.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Sep 9, 2005
  8. Donna B

    3rd Cav Vet Guest

    "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message
    > (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    >
    > > Already had a copy of "Dune" and it was the one I recall seeing in the

    movie
    > > theater.
    > >
    > > Anybody know how many of makes of Dune there are?

    > Two:
    > 1) The snore-pie David Lynch "Will you KNOCK IT OFF with that damn
    > whispering??" theatrical one, and
    > 2) the "Made for cable, but hey, at least it's the book" Sci-Fi Channel
    > version.

    ....and that's two too many.

    3rd Cav Vet, Sep 9, 2005
  9. Donna B

    Guest

    3. The first release with Kyle Mclachlan. A second "extended" version of
    the same movie, then a 3 rd version that actually followed the book.

    4 versions if you include Children of Dune, with was actually the books
    Children of Dune and Heretics of Dune (I think; I know it was books 2 and
    3).

    , May 21, 2006
  10. Donna B

    jayembee Guest

    wrote:

    > 4 versions if you include Children of Dune, with was actually the
    > books Children of Dune and Heretics of Dune (I think; I know it was
    > books 2 and 3).

    Book 2 was DUNE MESSIAH.
    Book 3 was CHILDREN OF DUNE.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, May 24, 2006
  11. Donna B

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Wed, 24 May 2006 04:48:00 GMT, jayembee <> wrote:

    > wrote:

    >> 4 versions if you include Children of Dune, with was actually the
    >> books Children of Dune and Heretics of Dune (I think; I know it was
    >> books 2 and 3).

    >Book 2 was DUNE MESSIAH.
    >Book 3 was CHILDREN OF DUNE.

    IIRC, 4 was god emporer of dune, 5 was heretics of dune, 6 was chapterhouse
    dune, 7 was spam spam spam spam eggs sausage and dune.

    And all of this is irrelevent to what productions of dune there are.
    I only know of two: Lynch's abomination and SciFi's sleep remedy.
    I can't decide which is worse, Lynch's trashing of the plot or SciFi's
    awful acting, babbled away as if the actors were reciting a time eroded
    ritual.

    AZ Nomad, May 24, 2006