  1. I seem to remember the Sci-Fi channel's Extended cut of Dune being a lot
    longer then 30 extra minutes....anyone know if the DVD is the same cut shown
    on Sci Fi?

    Joseph S. Powell, III, Jan 28, 2006

  2. Joseph S. Powell, III

    Jay G. Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 13:27:24 -0600, Joseph S. Powell, III wrote:

    > I seem to remember the Sci-Fi channel's Extended cut of Dune being a lot
    > longer then 30 extra minutes....anyone know if the DVD is the same cut shown
    > on Sci Fi?

    Yes, it's the infamous "TV cut" of the film, shown for the first time in
    2.35:1.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Jan 28, 2006

  3. "Jay G." <"Jay "@tmbg.org> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 13:27:24 -0600, Joseph S. Powell, III wrote:
    >
    > > I seem to remember the Sci-Fi channel's Extended cut of Dune being a lot
    > > longer then 30 extra minutes....anyone know if the DVD is the same cut

    shown
    > > on Sci Fi?

    > Yes, it's the infamous "TV cut" of the film, shown for the first time in
    > 2.35:1.
    >
    > -Jay

    Thanks.
    BTW, your phrasing of the cut as "infamous" seems to have a connotation that
    you don't like it - was it the music of Capt Picard that turned you off,
    lol?

    Joseph S. Powell, III, Jan 29, 2006
  4. Joseph S. Powell, III

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Joseph S. Powell, III" <> wrote in message
    >> > I seem to remember the Sci-Fi channel's Extended cut of Dune being
    >> > a lot
    >> > longer then 30 extra minutes....anyone know if the DVD is the same
    >> > cut

    > shown
    >> > on Sci Fi?

    >> Yes, it's the infamous "TV cut" of the film, shown for the first time
    >> in
    >> 2.35:1.
    >>

    > Thanks.
    > BTW, your phrasing of the cut as "infamous" seems to have a
    > connotation that
    > you don't like it - was it the music of Capt Picard that turned you
    > off,
    > lol?

    There is nothing good about the extended TV cut. Nothing.

    Joshua Zyber, Jan 29, 2006
  5. Joseph S. Powell, III

    GMAN Guest

    In article <mP5Df.7472$>, "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote:
    >"Joseph S. Powell, III" <> wrote in message

    >> shown
    >>>
    >>> Yes, it's the infamous "TV cut" of the film, shown for the first time
    >>> in
    >>> 2.35:1.
    >>>

    >> Thanks.
    >> BTW, your phrasing of the cut as "infamous" seems to have a
    >> connotation that
    >> you don't like it - was it the music of Capt Picard that turned you
    >> off,
    >> lol?

    >There is nothing good about the extended TV cut. Nothing.

    To each his own.

    GMAN, Jan 29, 2006
  6. Joseph S. Powell, III

    Sean O'Hara Guest

    Re: DUNE Extended edition - is it the same cut that aired on SciFi?

    In the Year of the Cock, the Great and Powerful Joseph S. Powell,
    III declared:

    > Thanks. BTW, your phrasing of the cut as "infamous" seems to have
    > a connotation that you don't like it - was it the music of Capt
    > Picard that turned you off, lol?

    Maybe the fact that Alan Smithee is credited as director instead of
    David Lynch.

    --
    Sean O'Hara | http://diogenes-sinope.blogspot.com
    Cartman: I learned somethin' today. This country was founded by some

    Sean O'Hara, Jan 29, 2006
  7. Joseph S. Powell, III

    Nick Guest

    I think I'll really enjoy the 2.35:1 version of the tv cut - and Im a David
    Lynch fanatic!

    Nick, Jan 29, 2006
  8. Joseph S. Powell, III

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Nick" <> wrote in message
    >I think I'll really enjoy the 2.35:1 version of the tv cut - and Im a
    >David Lynch fanatic!

    Which is all the more reason you should not watch the TV cut. Lynch had
    nothing to do with it, and was so disgusted by it he had his name
    removed. The new screenwriting credit "Judas Booth" speaks volumes.

    Joshua Zyber, Jan 30, 2006
  9. You guys talking about the TV movie or the David Lynch version in this
    thread?

    Incremental Jones, Jan 30, 2006
  10. "Incremental Jones" <> wrote in message
    > You guys talking about the TV movie or the David Lynch version in this
    > thread?

    The David Lynch version.

    There was a three-hour extended cut of the film made for television
    (re-inserting many scenes that Lynch cut from the theatrical version.) Lynch
    has disowned the extended cut, but I assume it's interesting as a curiosity.
    The extended cut, having never been released theatrically, has long been
    available on DVD (and, in Australia, quite cheaply,) in 'Pan & Scan' format.
    But, the new Region 1 Special Edition of Dune seems to contain the extended
    cut in 2.35:1 anamorphic (NOTE: it seems to be the only the Region 1 release
    that has the extended cut in 2.35:1, other special editions still have it in
    Pan & Scan)

    The Man With No Name, Jan 30, 2006
  11. "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message
    > "Nick" <> wrote in message
    >>I think I'll really enjoy the 2.35:1 version of the tv cut - and Im a
    >>David Lynch fanatic!

    > Which is all the more reason you should not watch the TV cut. Lynch had
    > nothing to do with it, and was so disgusted by it he had his name removed.
    > The new screenwriting credit "Judas Booth" speaks volumes.

    Yes, but isn't the added footage all stuff that David Lynch shot? I imagine
    for that reason alone it would be interesting.

    Besides, David Lynch has basically disowned 'Dune,' he just couldn't
    politely and legally do that with the theatrical release. (Good thing, too,
    since De Laurentiis was reportedly so impressed with Lynch's attitude (in
    making Dune the film the studio wanted) that he gave the fellow complete
    creative control over Blue Velvet.)

    Also, let's not forget; Lynch was offered the chance to compile a genuine
    Director's Cut (and the DVD release date was even delayed accordingly,) but
    he chose not to.

    The Man With No Name, Jan 30, 2006
  12. Joseph S. Powell, III

    Lester Bangs Guest

    a.. OVERALL: Draw (lifted from
    http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=720 )
    Between the French R0 UE and R0 Australian CE, for including both versions
    of the film and DTS for the theatrical version. R0 UE has a better and
    sharper transfer for the theatrical version and the TV version is broken
    into two parts (refer to notes), most of the extras are also in French. R4
    CE has best selections of extras, but the theatrical version is slightly
    cropped on both sides and it has a darker transfer. Picture comparison
    between the two versions can be found here: DuneInfo.com

    Other Releases:
    R1 "Extended Edition" is expected to be released on the 31st January 2006,
    it will include both "Theatrical cut" and "Extended cut" of the film, and
    both films will be presented in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen along with an
    English Dolby Digital 5.1 track with good extras.

    If you´re a real fan: The R2 German 4-Disc "Perfect Collection" has both
    versions ("Theatrical version" and "TV version"), and the theatrical version
    is anamorphic (fairly good transfer it seems), and with English 5.1 -sound
    (German-subtitles are optional). But again, despite the attractive looking
    packaging, many of the extras are just taken straight from the Dune -web
    site, and most of them are only in German.

    General Notes:
    David Lynch shot far more film than eventually appeared in the 131 min (PAL)
    "Theatrical version", intending it to have been a four hour epic. The studio
    subsequently re-edited it as a TV mini series without Lynch´s approval, and
    thus his name was removed from the credits and replaced with the standard
    pseudonym "Alan Smithee". This "TV-version" runs app. 176 min (PAL). There
    are some other changes between the releases, and more info can be found
    Here.

    To see a picture comparison between R2 Germany Laser Paradise, R2 Germany
    Perfect Collection (both versions) and R0 SE UK, go here:
    http://www.dvd-compare.com/comparisons/c_d/dune/index.htm

    a..
    CUTS:
    a.. R0 CE Australia - (Force Entertainment) - No Cuts - "Theatrical
    Version" and "TV Version".
    b.. R0 UE France - (Universal Pictures) - No Cuts - "Theatrical Version"
    and "TV Version".
    c.. R0 Italy - (CVC Video) - No Cuts - "Theatrical version".
    d.. R0 Korea - (Daum/Universal) - No Cuts - "Theatrical Version".
    e.. R0 SE United Kingdom - (Sanctuary Visual Entertainment) - No Cuts -
    "Theatrical Version" 130.59 mins (PAL).
    f.. R1 America - (Universal Pictures) - No Cuts - "Theatrical Version".
    g.. R2 Denmark - (Jupiter) - No Cuts - "Theatrical Version".
    h.. R2 France - (Opening/GCTHV) - No Cuts - "Theatrical version"
    i.. R2 Germany - (Laser Paradise - Paradise Edition) - 2 scenes are said
    to be cut from the "Theatrical version". Inc. "Theatrical version" and "TV
    version".
    j.. R2 Germany - (Laser Paradise/Astro) - No cuts - "Theatrical version"
    k.. R2 Germany - (Marketing Film - Perfect Collection) - No cuts -
    "Theatrical version" and "TV version"
    l.. R2 Germany - (Marketing Film - Theatrical version) - No cuts -
    "Theatrical version"
    m.. R2 Germany - (Marketing Film - TV version) - No cuts - "TV version"
    n.. R2 Holland - (Boxxz) - No cuts - "Theatrical version"
    o.. R2 Italy - (Medusa Video) - No cuts - "Theatrical version"
    p.. R2 SE Italy - (Medusa Video) - No cuts. Inc. "Theatrical version" and
    "TV version"
    q.. R2 Japan - (Beam Entertainment - Theatrical version) - No cuts -
    "Theatrical version"
    r.. R2 Japan - (Beam Entertainment - TV version) - No cuts - "TV version"
    s.. R2 Japan - (Comstock - Theatrical version) - No cuts - "Theatrical
    version"
    t.. R2 Japan - (Comstock - TV version) - No cuts - "TV version"
    u.. R2 Spain - (Manga Films) - No cuts - "Theatrical version"
    v.. R2 United Kingdom - (Castle - Theatrical version) - No Cuts -
    "Theatrical version".
    w.. R2 United Kingdom - (Castle - TV version) - No Cuts - "TV version".
    x.. R3 Korea - (Spectrum - TV Version) - No Cuts - "TV version".
    y.. R4 Australia - (Force Entertainment) - No Cuts - "Theatrical version".
    z.. R4 Australia - (Force Entertainment - TV version) - No Cuts - "TV
    version".
    aa.. R4 SE Australia - (Force Entertainment) - No Cuts - "Theatrical
    version".

    Lester Bangs, Jan 30, 2006
  13. Joseph S. Powell, III

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Lester Bangs" <> wrote in message
    > If you´re a real fan: The R2 German 4-Disc "Perfect Collection" has
    > both versions ("Theatrical version" and "TV version"), and the
    > theatrical version is anamorphic (fairly good transfer it seems), and
    > with English 5.1 -sound (German-subtitles are optional). But again,
    > despite the attractive looking packaging, many of the extras are just
    > taken straight from the Dune -web site, and most of them are only in
    > German.

    The German "Perfect Collection" (not to be confused with the German
    "Paradise Edition", which has a poor transfer and is censored) looks
    nearly as good as the French disc, but the sound quality is really bad.

    Joshua Zyber, Jan 30, 2006
  14. Joseph S. Powell, III

    jayembee Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote:

    > There is nothing good about the extended TV cut. Nothing.

    Well, I don't know about "nothing". It *does* have more of
    Linda Hunt in it. I generally consider that a good thing.

    The way I like to put it is: It's as bad as the original theatrical
    cut, only there's more of it.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jan 30, 2006