    network.

    I can't keep up with it. I started with DOS as a user only, and have always
    been 1 or 2 steps beind ever since

    fkosmakos, Aug 9, 2008

  2. Hi
    In order to share an Internet connection and create a local network between
    few computers (Wire or Wirelessly ) you need a device called Wireless
    Router. This device connects to the Modem and the computers are connected to
    it.
    Basically it looks like this, http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
    Once few computers are connected to a Router you configure them to share,
    and you would have a local network too.
    Since you are connected with Wireless to the FIOS it might be that your
    Modem is actually a combo Modem/Router.
    You can find info about your device by online searching using it's name and
    model number. You probably will find a manual too that would explain how to
    configure it.
    As for LAN Sharing.
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    allowed to be shared.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Windows XP File Sharing -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Aug 9, 2008

  3. fkosmakos

    fkosmakos Guest

    Thanks Jack. The FIOS modem is also a wireless router. They do it so the tv
    schedules can be sent to all of the set top boxes wirelessly. I guess I have
    some reading to do. Thanks again

    fkosmakos, Aug 9, 2008
  4. Hi
    Ok, you have already a Local Network.
    Set the computers (it is the same process for both wire or wireless) as
    explained in the latter part of my previous post.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Aug 9, 2008
  5. fkosmakos

    Pavel A. Guest

    "fkosmakos" <> wrote in message
    > 1. I have a desktop with XP home edition. It is connected to a FIOS
    > modem/router.
    >
    > My laptop connects wirelessly to the internet via the FIOS modem. It has
    > Vista on it.
    >
    > Can I set up a local network where I can look at one computer or the other
    > with 2 different operting sytems?
    >
    > 2. Where can I find some easy to understand info on setting up a local
    > network.
    >
    > I can't keep up with it. I started with DOS as a user only, and have
    > always
    > been 1 or 2 steps beind ever since

    Networking is indeed a very complex thing, wireless even more so,
    it keeps changing too fast, and life is too short to read all these manuals.

    This is not a reason to suffer and stay frustrated,
    find a local service to set up the network for you -
    exactly as you would do to fix a car or fridge.

    --PA

    Pavel A., Aug 9, 2008