    Is it always best, quality-wise, to shoot at the highest resolution,
    regardless of print size?

    Thank-you.

    spo, Dec 12, 2005

  2. spo

    m Ransley Guest

    I bought a Sony W5 my first digital, but now after experiencing
    cropping I should have gotten the w7. Im not trying to steer you to sony
    Canon is good , just that cropping often makes several better shots for
    me out of one shot. For the very small price increase get more mp, you
    may benefit at times. You may also find you want larger photos of your
    best.

    m Ransley, Dec 12, 2005

  3. spo

    Paul Rubin Guest

    spo <> writes:
    > I'm puzzling over which camera to buy.. the Canon A610 (5mp), or the
    > A620. I can get the A620 (7mp) for around £27 more.

    Shop a little more, the difference is usually larger than that, so the
    places you're looking may be charging too much for the A610.

    > Is it worth the extra money, considering I will be printing at A4
    > size?

    Hard to say. I'm personally more likely to buy an A610.

    > Will the 7mp camera give noticeably better results at A4 than the
    > 5mp one?

    It might in some situations. It might be worse in others. The
    cameras have the same sized ccd's, so the photosites (individual
    pixels) on the A620 are smaller, giving reduced dynamic range and
    possibly higher susceptability to noise. There's a test report on the
    A620 at dpreview.com and some of us are waiting for a report on the
    A610 so we can compare them.

    > Is it always best, quality-wise, to shoot at the highest resolution,
    > regardless of print size?

    Hmm, if you don't mind the bigger files on the flash card, and
    possible slower handling, then probably. There are possible
    exceptions that apply to some other cameras but I think not to the
    A610/620.

    Paul Rubin, Dec 12, 2005
  4. spo

    DHB Guest

    On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 00:49:59 GMT, spo <> wrote:

    >I'm puzzling over which camera to buy.. the Canon A610 (5mp), or the
    >A620. I can get the A620 (7mp) for around £27 more.
    >
    >Is it worth the extra money, considering I will be printing at A4 size?
    >Will the 7mp camera give noticeably better results at A4 than the 5mp one?
    >Is it always best, quality-wise, to shoot at the highest resolution,
    >regardless of print size?
    >
    >Thank-you.

    Don't know if this difference is of any importance to you or
    not but I thought it worth mentioning. The A620 supports remote
    control/capture via USB & the A610 does not.

    Why Canon opted to leave this feature out on the A610 is
    probably for marketing reasons. Surprisingly the A620 seems to
    compare reasonably well with the A610 in noise levels in spite of both
    using the same physical size sensor. Look @ the pictures for
    yourself:

    A610: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/a610_samples.html

    A620: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/a620_samples.html

    They both use Canon's Digic II processor so it may be
    programmed to do more in camera image noise reduction processing on
    the A620, if so, it seems to do it rather well. It's a difficult call
    between the 2 but 5MP is generally enough unless you need to do a
    considerable amount of cropping.

    Best of luck, hope this information helps some.

    Respectfully, DHB

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    DHB, Dec 12, 2005
  5. spo

    spo Guest

    Paul Rubin wrote:
    > spo <> writes:
    >
    >>I'm puzzling over which camera to buy.. the Canon A610 (5mp), or the
    >>A620. I can get the A620 (7mp) for around £27 more.

    > Shop a little more, the difference is usually larger than that, so the
    > places you're looking may be charging too much for the A610.

    Well, I've already done a great deal of online window-shopping. Amazon
    UK is the lowest-priced reputable seller of the Canon A610, and their
    own price for the A620 is only around £27 more, though there's a couple
    of weeks waiting time.

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-1817432-8855668
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000B5KFHM/qid=1134393428/026-1817432-8855668

    >>Will the 7mp camera give noticeably better results at A4 than the
    >>5mp one?

    > It might in some situations. It might be worse in others. The
    > cameras have the same sized ccd's, so the photosites (individual
    > pixels) on the A620 are smaller, giving reduced dynamic range and
    > possibly higher susceptability to noise. There's a test report on the
    > A620 at dpreview.com and some of us are waiting for a report on the
    > A610 so we can compare them.

    Yes I've read the reviews at dpreview and Steve's-digicams. A Google for
    'Canon A610 (or A620) sample images' brings up lots more photos too, but
    on screen I can't discern any difference.

    Thanks Paul.

    spo, Dec 12, 2005
  6. spo

    spo Guest

    DHB wrote:

    > Don't know if this difference is of any importance to you or
    > not but I thought it worth mentioning. The A620 supports remote
    > control/capture via USB & the A610 does not.

    This is something I've not thought about at all, and I'm not sure if
    I'll ever need the feature - it'd be nice to have though, and would give
    me more options. What other gear is required?

    > Surprisingly the A620 seems to
    > compare reasonably well with the A610 in noise levels in spite of both
    > using the same physical size sensor. Look @ the pictures for
    > yourself:
    >
    > A610: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/a610_samples.html
    >
    > A620: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/a620_samples.html

    Yes I've seen all the sample images but can't tell the cameras apart. I
    didn't know about this noise issue though, so I'll look into it.

    Thanks DHB

    spo, Dec 12, 2005
  7. spo

    Philip S Guest

    Im not sure about other differences but I think the a620 has better control
    over noise due to the
    7mp sensor which youd think would be the opposite.but I think the a95 was
    worse in this respect

    Philip S, Dec 12, 2005
  8. spo

    DHB Guest

    On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 13:24:20 GMT, spo <> wrote:

    >DHB wrote:
    >
    >> Don't know if this difference is of any importance to you or
    >> not but I thought it worth mentioning. The A620 supports remote
    >> control/capture via USB & the A610 does not.

    >This is something I've not thought about at all, and I'm not sure if
    >I'll ever need the feature - it'd be nice to have though, and would give
    >me more options. What other gear is required?
    >

    >> Surprisingly the A620 seems to
    >> compare reasonably well with the A610 in noise levels in spite of both
    >> using the same physical size sensor. Look @ the pictures for
    >> yourself:
    >>
    >> A610: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/a610_samples.html
    >>
    >> A620: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/a620_samples.html

    >Yes I've seen all the sample images but can't tell the cameras apart. I
    >didn't know about this noise issue though, so I'll look into it.
    >
    >Thanks DHB

    spo,
    click on the above link & you will see the included software
    described that Canon provides that will operate the A620 remotely.

    Also there is at least 1 other company that makes a better
    version of remote control/capture software for many Canon cameras &
    some other brands also. Here is a link to 1 such company:

    http://www.breezesys.com/

    This is not a feature most people will ever use, but it's nice
    to know that the option is there for the future. Suppose later on you
    buy a newer camera or a DSLR, you may want to use the A610 mounted in
    a weatherproof container, placed in the back yard, aimed @ a bird
    feeder or any food source that may attract a critter(S) that you want
    a nice close up picture of. Now you can sit in the comfort of your
    house & remotely take some incredible pictures from your PC or
    notebook. The weather won't be of concern to you as you will be
    indoors.

    Like I said this is not for everybody but I thought it worth
    mentioning for those who might want this feature & may not have know
    that the A620 has it but not the A610. Also there are ways around the
    15 foot USB cable limitation too.

    Best of luck, hope this helps some with this difficult choice.

    Respectfully, DHB

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    DHB, Dec 12, 2005
  9. spo

    Dave Cohen Guest

    The last time I posted a reply to a similar question I thought price
    difference was $100. If it's a lot less than that, the I would opt for the
    7mp. Either one gives excellent results. I have an A95. I read about noise,
    purple fringing but darned if I can see what people are talking about. I
    can't see any difference between fine and superfine either. I rarely change
    the iso, the noise comment is based on normal shooting modes.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Dec 12, 2005
  10. spo

    spo Guest

    Dave Cohen wrote:
    > The last time I posted a reply to a similar question I thought price
    > difference was $100. If it's a lot less than that, the I would opt for the
    > 7mp. Either one gives excellent results. I have an A95. I read about noise,
    > purple fringing but darned if I can see what people are talking about. I
    > can't see any difference between fine and superfine either. I rarely change
    > the iso, the noise comment is based on normal shooting modes.
    > Dave Cohen

    100 dollar difference? Hmm, I think that's about £60?
    Right, I've decided to get the A620 even though I can't really afford
    it. An old friend of mine, now deceased, used to say "Long after the
    price is forgotten, the quality remains". I'll go with that.
    Thanks to you all for helping me make my decision.

    spo, Dec 13, 2005