Dumb question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Keith Nuttle, Oct 10, 2004.

  1. Keith Nuttle

    Keith Nuttle Guest

    I have been working with some maps I down loaded and was looking at
    distances. It occured to me that some programs, like Irfanview, will
    give you the size of a the area defined by the cursor on pixels ie used
    in cropping.

    Using trigometric function I can determine the diagonals in pixels of
    that rectangle and then measure distance on the map.

    Dumb question are pixel symmetrical? Round or square pixels; the above
    works. rectangle or elipses pixels and it fails.
     
    Keith Nuttle, Oct 10, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Keith Nuttle

    Bob Guest

    On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 02:22:22 GMT, Keith Nuttle <> wrote:

    >I have been working with some maps I down loaded and was looking at
    >distances. It occured to me that some programs, like Irfanview, will
    >give you the size of a the area defined by the cursor on pixels ie used
    >in cropping.
    >
    >Using trigometric function I can determine the diagonals in pixels of
    >that rectangle and then measure distance on the map.
    >
    >Dumb question are pixel symmetrical? Round or square pixels; the above
    >works. rectangle or elipses pixels and it fails.


    It depends on your monitor and PC settings.

    Measure your monitor display area and calculate the ratio - its usually 3/4...
    now check your scan settings... 1024 x 768 for example is also 3/4.

    You can adj the scanning of your monitor and check with a ruler... when you get
    it all the same ratio, it will mean square pixels.

    NOW - some CRT monitors are not linear, meaning squares will only be square on
    one side or on the top only, or whatever... LCD monitors are scanned cell by
    cell in a matrix so they are more accurate.
     
    Bob, Oct 10, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Bob <> wrote in
    news::

    > It depends on your monitor and PC settings.
    >
    > Measure your monitor display area and calculate the ratio - its
    > usually 3/4... now check your scan settings... 1024 x 768 for example
    > is also 3/4.


    I might be wrong, but I don't think this is relevant for
    the original poster. I assume that he wants to meassure
    distances on the map (and not on the monitor display).

    Then - it depends on the map maker. It is probably OK for
    a well made map.


    /Roland
     
    Roland Karlsson, Oct 10, 2004
    #3
  4. Keith Nuttle

    Bob Guest

    On 10 Oct 2004 08:25:00 GMT, Roland Karlsson <>
    wrote:

    >Bob <> wrote in
    >news::
    >
    >> It depends on your monitor and PC settings.
    >>
    >> Measure your monitor display area and calculate the ratio - its
    >> usually 3/4... now check your scan settings... 1024 x 768 for example
    >> is also 3/4.

    >
    >I might be wrong, but I don't think this is relevant for
    >the original poster.


    If you hadn't of snipped the relevant post...

    >I have been working with some maps I down loaded and was looking at
    >distances. It occured to me that some programs, like Irfanview, will
    >give you the size of a the area defined by the cursor on pixels ie used
    >in cropping.
    >
    >Using trigometric function I can determine the diagonals in pixels of
    >that rectangle and then measure distance on the map.
    >
    >Dumb question are pixel symmetrical? Round or square pixels; the above
    >works. rectangle or elipses pixels and it fails.


    You would now see that he asked if his pixels were square or not... so he could
    measure maps on his display...


    > I assume that he wants to meassure
    >distances on the map (and not on the monitor display).


    Learn to read...


    >Then - it depends on the map maker. It is probably OK for
    >a well made map.
    >
    >
    >/Roland
     
    Bob, Oct 10, 2004
    #4
  5. Keith Nuttle

    Wayne J Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message

    > Learn to read...
    >

    The fact that Roland's English is better than yours and he is not a native
    speaker makes your statement extremely ironic. lol.

    Wayne
     
    Wayne J, Oct 11, 2004
    #5
  6. "Wayne J" <> wrote in
    news:ZDuad.11148$:

    > The fact that Roland's English is better than yours and he is not a
    > native speaker makes your statement extremely ironic. lol.
    >


    Moreover -- the original poster said that he used the size
    information given by IrfanView (and not an ordinary ruler).
    So ... it seems like I understand the language better also :)


    /Roland
     
    Roland Karlsson, Oct 11, 2004
    #6
  7. Keith Nuttle

    Bob Guest

    On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 08:03:10 -0400, "Wayne J" <> wrote:

    >
    >"Bob" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Learn to read...
    >>

    >The fact that Roland's English is better than yours and he is not a native
    >speaker makes your statement extremely ironic. lol.
    >
    >Wayne
    >


    The fact you are a stupid cocksucker is quite ironic as well...


    < P L O N K >
     
    Bob, Oct 12, 2004
    #7
  8. Keith Nuttle

    Bob Guest

    On 11 Oct 2004 16:45:43 GMT, Roland Karlsson <>
    wrote:

    >"Wayne J" <> wrote in
    >news:ZDuad.11148$:
    >
    >> The fact that Roland's English is better than yours and he is not a
    >> native speaker makes your statement extremely ironic. lol.
    >>

    >
    >Moreover -- the original poster said that he used the size
    >information given by IrfanView (and not an ordinary ruler).
    >So ... it seems like I understand the language better also :)
    >
    >
    >/Roland


    Try reading it again... here it is since you morons keep snipping the relevant
    post.

    >I have been working with some maps I down loaded and was looking at
    >distances. It occured to me that some programs, like Irfanview, will
    >give you the size of a the area defined by the cursor on pixels ie used
    >in cropping.


    Read the word 'pixels' ??

    >Using trigometric function I can determine the diagonals in pixels


    Read the word 'pixels' ??

    > of
    >that rectangle and then measure distance on the map.
    >
    >Dumb question are pixel symmetrical?


    Read the word 'pixels' ??

    > Round or square pixels;


    Read the word 'pixels' ??

    >the above
    >works. rectangle or elipses pixels and it fails.


    Read the word 'pixels' ?? Why would he be concerned with the squareness of the
    pixels? You don't have a fucking clue do you?

    Pixels in Irfanview refer to the screen, not a printed map!

    Comprends tu??

    Now go suck your stupids friends cock and **** you!!


    < P L O N K >
     
    Bob, Oct 12, 2004
    #8
  9. Keith Nuttle

    Wayne J Guest

    > Pixels in Irfanview refer to the screen, not a printed map

    And my genius friend, exactly how big is a pixel?

    Wayne
     
    Wayne J, Oct 12, 2004
    #9
  10. Bob <> wrote in
    news:eek::

    > Comprends tu??
    >
    > Now go suck your stupids friends cock and **** you!!


    You are wrong and you are rude and you are stupid.
    You just plonked me. But if you are to stupid to
    really know how to do it, you will see this also.
    And if you answer to this one we got the proof that
    you cannot even plonk.



    /Roland
     
    Roland Karlsson, Oct 12, 2004
    #10
  11. Keith Nuttle <> wrote in news:y11ad.519221
    $:

    > I have been working with some maps I down loaded and was looking at
    > distances. It occured to me that some programs, like Irfanview, will
    > give you the size of a the area defined by the cursor on pixels ie used
    > in cropping.
    >
    > Using trigometric function I can determine the diagonals in pixels of
    > that rectangle and then measure distance on the map.
    >
    > Dumb question are pixel symmetrical? Round or square pixels; the above
    > works. rectangle or elipses pixels and it fails.
    >
    >


    Hi Keith - the thread just went out the window
    with that rude and crazy Bob.

    Now - yes it will work - iff the map maker has
    made a map that is symmetrical in x an y direction.
    To a certain size though. When the map gets larger
    you are mapping a part of a sphere to the flat map.
    Then you get problems. So - I assume that it will
    not work all that well for a map of the entire US
    or Europe or Eurasien. But for a map of a State or
    smaller it should work just fine I assume.


    /Roland
     
    Roland Karlsson, Oct 12, 2004
    #11
  12. "Wayne J" <> wrote in news:0cNad.17797$hk6.492543
    @news20.bellglobal.com:

    > And my genius friend, exactly how big is a pixel?


    Sometimes you find people like this Bob one on USENET.
    You just gets amazed by how dense they are - does not
    seem to understand even the simplest things. And very
    often they cannot write either.


    /Roland
     
    Roland Karlsson, Oct 12, 2004
    #12
  13. Keith Nuttle

    Guest

    On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:49:52 -0400, Bob <> wrote:

    >
    >The fact you are a stupid cocksucker is quite ironic as well...
    >
    >
    >< P L O N K >


    Why the intense interest in sucking cock? Is it a part of your
    daily routine?

    If you let me know what newsreader you use, maybe I can teach
    you how to plonk me, too.
     
    , Oct 14, 2004
    #13
  14. Keith Nuttle

    Bob Guest

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 00:10:59 GMT, wrote:

    >On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:49:52 -0400, Bob <> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>The fact you are a stupid cocksucker is quite ironic as well...
    >>
    >>
    >>< P L O N K >

    >
    > Why the intense interest in sucking cock? Is it a part of your
    >daily routine?


    why? You interested?

    > If you let me know what newsreader you use, maybe I can teach
    >you how to plonk me, too.


    And what is this thread to you?

    Some guy asked me if pixels were square or not because he was using the bounding
    box in Irfanview to measure maps on his screen... let me quote what the trolls
    keep snipping...

    >I have been working with some maps I down loaded and was looking at
    >distances. It occured to me that some programs, like Irfanview, will
    >give you the size of a the area defined by the cursor on pixels ie used
    >in cropping.


    He was using the cursor in Irfanview to draw a square box on a map on his
    screen.


    >Using trigometric function I can determine the diagonals in pixels of
    >that rectangle and then measure distance on the map.


    By using Pythagoras theorem on the number of pixels measured, he could also
    measure distances in lines that intersect his boundary box coordinates.

    >Dumb question are pixel symmetrical? Round or square pixels; the above
    >works. rectangle or elipses pixels and it fails.


    Here he wanted to know if the pixels on PC screens were square - really he was
    asking if the dimensions up and down are equal - and I told him how to find out
    by testing the ratio of his screen with the ratio of his display card.

    So I answered his question, but he never came back.

    Meanwhile, some trolls decided to tell me I was wrong for some reason - but they
    snipped the post AND they didn't give the OP any answer to his question. And
    this last guy decided to insult me as well - I'm just fed up with these trolls
    who contribute nothing and scare off the people who try to help.

    I'm not going to plonk you - I really don't care anymore. I'll just stop trying
    to help people, that's all, and go back to being a lurker. I'm an electronics
    technologist, and a photographer, I don't need to ask questions here for the
    most part. But maybe someone's questions will go unanswered, who knows.

    Peace
    Bob
    lurking
     
    Bob, Oct 15, 2004
    #14
  15. Keith Nuttle

    Guest

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:14:25 -0400, Bob <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 00:10:59 GMT, wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:49:52 -0400, Bob <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>
    >>>The fact you are a stupid cocksucker is quite ironic as well...
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>< P L O N K >

    >>
    >> Why the intense interest in sucking cock? Is it a part of your
    >>daily routine?

    >
    >why? You interested?


    You raised the issue. SInce itt did not relate to the issue in
    question, I thought you might have some intense interest in it.

    >> If you let me know what newsreader you use, maybe I can teach
    >>you how to plonk me, too.

    >
    >And what is this thread to you?


    Just one where I found someone making irrelevant and baseless
    reference to someone's sexual habits on the basis of no evidence.

    However, this being usenet, I don't need to gain your
    permission to chime in.
    >
    >Some guy asked me if pixels were square or not because he was using the bounding
    >box in Irfanview to measure maps on his screen... let me quote what the trolls
    >keep snipping...
    >
    >>I have been working with some maps I down loaded and was looking at
    >>distances. It occured to me that some programs, like Irfanview, will
    >>give you the size of a the area defined by the cursor on pixels ie used
    >>in cropping.

    >
    >He was using the cursor in Irfanview to draw a square box on a map on his
    >screen.
    >
    >
    >>Using trigometric function I can determine the diagonals in pixels of
    >>that rectangle and then measure distance on the map.

    >
    >By using Pythagoras theorem on the number of pixels measured, he could also
    >measure distances in lines that intersect his boundary box coordinates.
    >
    >>Dumb question are pixel symmetrical? Round or square pixels; the above
    >>works. rectangle or elipses pixels and it fails.

    >
    >Here he wanted to know if the pixels on PC screens were square - really he was
    >asking if the dimensions up and down are equal - and I told him how to find out
    >by testing the ratio of his screen with the ratio of his display card.
    >
    >So I answered his question, but he never came back.
    >
    >Meanwhile, some trolls decided to tell me I was wrong for some reason - but they
    >snipped the post AND they didn't give the OP any answer to his question. And
    >this last guy decided to insult me as well - I'm just fed up with these trolls
    >who contribute nothing and scare off the people who try to help.
    >
    >I'm not going to plonk you - I really don't care anymore. I'll just stop trying
    >to help people, that's all, and go back to being a lurker.


    Passive-aggressive bullshit. We'll be so hurt.

    > I'm an electronics
    >technologist, and a photographer, I don't need to ask questions here for the
    >most part. But maybe someone's questions will go unanswered, who knows.


    >Peace


    Calling someone a cocksucker is a mildly strange way of
    spreading peace.

    >Bob
    >lurking
     
    , Oct 15, 2004
    #15
  16. Keith Nuttle

    Bob Guest

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 08:49:41 GMT, wrote:

    >On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:14:25 -0400, Bob <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 00:10:59 GMT, wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:49:52 -0400, Bob <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>
    >>>>The fact you are a stupid cocksucker is quite ironic as well...
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>< P L O N K >
    >>>
    >>> Why the intense interest in sucking cock? Is it a part of your
    >>>daily routine?

    >>
    >>why? You interested?

    >
    > You raised the issue. SInce itt did not relate to the issue in
    >question, I thought you might have some intense interest in it.


    Since no one but me answered the OP question... wonder why you were so
    attracted?

    >>> If you let me know what newsreader you use, maybe I can teach
    >>>you how to plonk me, too.

    >>
    >>And what is this thread to you?

    >
    > Just one where I found someone making irrelevant and baseless
    >reference to someone's sexual habits on the basis of no evidence.


    Funny you didn't say anything about the people who made irrelevant and baseless
    remarks about me... all I did was answer someone's question - and now 3
    irrelevant posts against me! And I note you didn't contribute an answer
    either...

    > However, this being usenet, I don't need to gain your
    >permission to chime in.
    >>
    >>Some guy asked me if pixels were square or not because he was using the bounding
    >>box in Irfanview to measure maps on his screen... let me quote what the trolls
    >>keep snipping...
    >>
    >>>I have been working with some maps I down loaded and was looking at
    >>>distances. It occured to me that some programs, like Irfanview, will
    >>>give you the size of a the area defined by the cursor on pixels ie used
    >>>in cropping.

    >>
    >>He was using the cursor in Irfanview to draw a square box on a map on his
    >>screen.
    >>
    >>
    >>>Using trigometric function I can determine the diagonals in pixels of
    >>>that rectangle and then measure distance on the map.

    >>
    >>By using Pythagoras theorem on the number of pixels measured, he could also
    >>measure distances in lines that intersect his boundary box coordinates.
    >>
    >>>Dumb question are pixel symmetrical? Round or square pixels; the above
    >>>works. rectangle or elipses pixels and it fails.

    >>
    >>Here he wanted to know if the pixels on PC screens were square - really he was
    >>asking if the dimensions up and down are equal - and I told him how to find out
    >>by testing the ratio of his screen with the ratio of his display card.
    >>
    >>So I answered his question, but he never came back.
    >>
    >>Meanwhile, some trolls decided to tell me I was wrong for some reason - but they
    >>snipped the post AND they didn't give the OP any answer to his question. And
    >>this last guy decided to insult me as well - I'm just fed up with these trolls
    >>who contribute nothing and scare off the people who try to help.
    >>
    >>I'm not going to plonk you - I really don't care anymore. I'll just stop trying
    >>to help people, that's all, and go back to being a lurker.

    >
    > Passive-aggressive bullshit. We'll be so hurt.


    I know... but you'll get over it...

    >
    >> I'm an electronics
    >>technologist, and a photographer, I don't need to ask questions here for the
    >>most part. But maybe someone's questions will go unanswered, who knows.

    >
    >>Peace

    >
    > Calling someone a cocksucker is a mildly strange way of
    >spreading peace.


    It's better then war! Remember buddy - I didn't start this - the trolls did!

    Anyway - color me gone, I'm deleting this useless group... and yes I know - who
    cares!

    I don't!


    PS don't answer - I won't see it
     
    Bob, Oct 16, 2004
    #16
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Walter Roberson

    Re: Dumb question

    Walter Roberson, Jul 21, 2003, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    462
  2. A. Yarrington
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    425
    Walter Roberson
    Dec 2, 2003
  3. jt

    Dumb dialer question

    jt, Jan 13, 2004, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    422
    Aaron Leonard
    Jan 14, 2004
  4. David Napierkowski

    Dumb, dumb dumb Qestion

    David Napierkowski, Oct 30, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    360
  5. Au79

    Dumb, Dumb Vista

    Au79, Feb 10, 2007, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    540
    WhzzKdd
    Feb 11, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page