Dumb Question

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Aclamusr, Feb 27, 2004.

  1. Aclamusr

    Aclamusr Guest

    Hello,

    This is going to sound like an awfully dumb question, but I have only been a
    computer owner for two months.

    I am getting ready to move to another apartment. This means I will be
    unplugging my computer, getting all the parts together, boxing them up, and
    moving them to my new apartment.

    Question. Does everything I have "saved" on my computer automatically "erase"
    when I unplug it?

    When I move into my new apartment and get it all hooked up, will everything I
    saved still be there?

    I would think so. But I was so unsure last night that I even had a nightmare
    about it.

    Laura

    Aclamusr, Feb 27, 2004

  2. Aclamusr

    Serok4242 Guest

    "Aclamusr" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > This is going to sound like an awfully dumb question, but I have only been

    > computer owner for two months.
    >
    > I am getting ready to move to another apartment. This means I will be
    > unplugging my computer, getting all the parts together, boxing them up,

    and
    > moving them to my new apartment.
    >
    > Question. Does everything I have "saved" on my computer automatically

    "erase"
    > when I unplug it?
    >
    > When I move into my new apartment and get it all hooked up, will

    everything I
    > saved still be there?
    >
    > I would think so. But I was so unsure last night that I even had a

    nightmare
    > about it.

    It will be fine.....Ive had a computer unplugged for years and the info was
    still there....the hard drive in a computer doesnt rely on power to save
    your information...

    serok

    Serok4242, Feb 27, 2004

  3. Aclamusr

    Basket Case Guest

    "Aclamusr" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > This is going to sound like an awfully dumb question, but I have only been

    > computer owner for two months.
    >
    > I am getting ready to move to another apartment. This means I will be
    > unplugging my computer, getting all the parts together, boxing them up,

    and
    > moving them to my new apartment.
    >
    > Question. Does everything I have "saved" on my computer automatically

    "erase"
    > when I unplug it?
    >
    > When I move into my new apartment and get it all hooked up, will

    everything I
    > saved still be there?
    >
    > I would think so. But I was so unsure last night that I even had a

    nightmare
    > about it.
    >
    > Laura

    Yes, your data will be fine when you unplug your computer. Files are stored
    magnetically on your hard disk, somewhat similar to the way music was stored
    on the old cassette tapes.

    -BC

    Basket Case, Feb 27, 2004
  4. Aclamusr

    mbowen83 Guest

    "Aclamusr" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > This is going to sound like an awfully dumb question, but I have only been

    > computer owner for two months.
    >
    > I am getting ready to move to another apartment. This means I will be
    > unplugging my computer, getting all the parts together, boxing them up,

    and
    > moving them to my new apartment.
    >
    > Question. Does everything I have "saved" on my computer automatically

    "erase"
    > when I unplug it?
    >
    > When I move into my new apartment and get it all hooked up, will

    everything I
    > saved still be there?
    >
    > I would think so. But I was so unsure last night that I even had a

    nightmare
    > about it.
    >
    > Laura

    Just don't get it near any strong magnets and you will be fine.

    mbowen83

    mbowen83, Feb 27, 2004
  5. Aclamusr

    Michael-NC Guest

    If you have anything important on your computer, learn how to back it up.
    Your data is on a hard drive that doesn't lose data when it's unplugged but
    they break all the time and then your data will be lost.

    Michael-NC, Feb 28, 2004
  6. Aclamusr

    Basket Case Guest

    "Michael-NC" <> wrote in message
    > If you have anything important on your computer, learn how to back it up.
    > Your data is on a hard drive that doesn't lose data when it's unplugged

    but
    > they break all the time and then your data will be lost.
    >

    > "Aclamusr" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > This is going to sound like an awfully dumb question, but I have only

    been
    > > computer owner for two months.
    > >
    > > I am getting ready to move to another apartment. This means I will be
    > > unplugging my computer, getting all the parts together, boxing them up,

    > and
    > > moving them to my new apartment.
    > >
    > > Question. Does everything I have "saved" on my computer automatically

    > "erase"
    > > when I unplug it?
    > >
    > > When I move into my new apartment and get it all hooked up, will

    > everything I
    > > saved still be there?
    > >
    > > I would think so. But I was so unsure last night that I even had a

    > nightmare
    > > about it.
    > >
    > > Laura

    I wouldn't say they 'break all the time'. They should last a good 3-5 years
    at least. Even still, it is a good idea to get into a habit of backing up
    your data to prepare for the inevitable.

    -BC

    Basket Case, Feb 28, 2004
  7. Aclamusr

    Michael-NC Guest

    "Basket Case" <> wrote in message

    > "Michael-NC" <> wrote in message
    > > If you have anything important on your computer, learn how to back it

    up.
    > > Your data is on a hard drive that doesn't lose data when it's unplugged

    > but
    > > they break all the time and then your data will be lost.
    > >

    > > "Aclamusr" <> wrote in message
    > > > Hello,
    > > >
    > > > This is going to sound like an awfully dumb question, but I have only

    > been
    > > > computer owner for two months.
    > > >
    > > > I am getting ready to move to another apartment. This means I will

    be
    > > > unplugging my computer, getting all the parts together, boxing them

    up,
    > > and
    > > > moving them to my new apartment.
    > > >
    > > > Question. Does everything I have "saved" on my computer

    automatically
    > > "erase"
    > > > when I unplug it?
    > > >
    > > > When I move into my new apartment and get it all hooked up, will

    > > everything I
    > > > saved still be there?
    > > >
    > > > I would think so. But I was so unsure last night that I even had a

    > > nightmare
    > > > about it.
    > > >
    > > > Laura

    > I wouldn't say they 'break all the time'. They should last a good 3-5

    years
    > at least. Even still, it is a good idea to get into a habit of backing up
    > your data to prepare for the inevitable.
    >
    > -BC

    I _will_ say they break all the time and you should _assume_ it will break
    the next time you boot your computer. Data on a hard drive is not safe.

    Michael-NC, Feb 29, 2004
  8. Aclamusr

    Professor Guest

    You don't have to do anything as nothing on the hard drive changes when you
    unplug your computer. There is also a small coin battery inside the computer
    on the motherboard that saves your bios settings and keeps the time and date
    going when the computer is not on. As long as you handle the computer
    gently so nothing is broken, it will not even know you moved it.

    Professor, Mar 7, 2004