Dumb Question Time

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave Taylor, Nov 22, 2004.

  1. Dave Taylor

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Otis E Levator" <> wrote in news:wVfod.7042
    $:

    > Got a couple of questions for the group.
    > When I do a scan disk with XP, where does it hide the report,
    > and what is it called??

    The results are placed into the Event Log.
    Right Click on My Computer and select "Manage"
    Take a look at "Event Viewer" and double click the actual items to open the
    details of the events. You can then scroll up and down using the arrow
    buttons.
    Note the time when the scan disk is started to help find the results in the
    logs.
    If you have errors that keep coming back, check the drive with the
    manufacturer's tools. Disk errors are not a good thing.
    Backup the data you need to keep to a diferent physical drive or media.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Nov 22, 2004

  2. In article <Xns95A9D9B7AE3A8daveytaynospamplshot@202.20.93.13> in nz.comp
    on Mon, 22 Nov 2004 08:23:08 GMT, Dave Taylor
    <> says...
    > "Otis E Levator" <> wrote in news:wVfod.7042
    > $:
    >
    > > Got a couple of questions for the group.
    > > When I do a scan disk with XP, where does it hide the report,
    > > and what is it called??

    > The results are placed into the Event Log.
    > Right Click on My Computer and select "Manage"
    > Take a look at "Event Viewer" and double click the actual items to open the
    > details of the events. You can then scroll up and down using the arrow
    > buttons.
    > Note the time when the scan disk is started to help find the results in the
    > logs.
    > If you have errors that keep coming back, check the drive with the
    > manufacturer's tools. Disk errors are not a good thing.
    > Backup the data you need to keep to a diferent physical drive or media.

    Is this with FAT32 or NTFS? Better to go with NTFS if possible

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 22, 2004

  3. Dave Taylor

    PseUDO Guest

    Otis E Levator wrote:
    > Yeah, using NTFS.
    > No, not having disk errors, just like to run scandisk, defrag
    > once a month to keep things in order.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>In article <Xns95A9D9B7AE3A8daveytaynospamplshot@202.20.93.13> in nz.comp
    >>on Mon, 22 Nov 2004 08:23:08 GMT, Dave Taylor
    >><> says...
    >>
    >>>"Otis E Levator" <> wrote in news:wVfod.7042
    >>>$:

    >>>The results are placed into the Event Log.
    >>>Right Click on My Computer and select "Manage"
    >>>Take a look at "Event Viewer" and double click the actual items to open
    >>>the
    >>>details of the events. You can then scroll up and down using the arrow
    >>>buttons.
    >>>Note the time when the scan disk is started to help find the results in
    >>>the
    >>>logs.
    >>>If you have errors that keep coming back, check the drive with the
    >>>manufacturer's tools. Disk errors are not a good thing.
    >>>Backup the data you need to keep to a diferent physical drive or media.

    >>Is this with FAT32 or NTFS? Better to go with NTFS if possible

    You might want to check your clock, you are 24hrs into the future!.

    PseUDO

    PseUDO, Nov 22, 2004
  4. In article <%nuod.7114$> in nz.comp on Wed, 24
    Nov 2004 12:12:24 +1300, Otis E Levator <> says...
    > Yeah, using NTFS.
    > No, not having disk errors, just like to run scandisk, defrag
    > once a month to keep things in order.

    Normally you shouldn't have to chkdsk, NTFS will do one automatically if
    it is necessary. With a journalling filesystem, which NTFS is, you don't
    need to run the manual checks.

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 23, 2004
  5. Ok, cheers.
    Just an old fashion kind of guy :)

    Otis E Levator, Nov 23, 2004
  6. Got a couple of questions for the group.
    When I do a scan disk with XP, where does it hide the report,
    and what is it called??

    I have two logons for this PC (XP). Me being a deaf old coot, I
    like the sound louder than my wife. Is there anyway of having two
    sound settings for each user?? A script maybe??

    TIA.

    Otis E Levator, Nov 23, 2004
  7. Yeah, using NTFS.

    Otis E Levator, Nov 23, 2004