dumb question maybe, but......using a pix w/o a router possible?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by A. Yarrington, Dec 2, 2003.

  1. When we originally got our Cisco hardware, an outside vendor set
    things up for us initially and I took it from there (I was in my early
    days of I.T.). In our office, we have a Full T-1 internet circuit,
    which we're connected to as follows: T-1 card <--> Adtran CSU/DSU <-->
    2610 Router <--> Pix 515 <--> Switch.

    Now, in looking at the router config, it's not really doing anything
    except passing traffic to and from the serial interface that connects
    to the Adtran. What I'm wondering is whether or not I should be able
    to run without the router, connecting the pix on one interface to the
    Adtran, and the other to the switch? The PIX is already doing the NAT
    translation and all VPN tunneling, so the router really isn't doing
    anything (except providing the interface to the Adtran). The one
    thing I'm not sure about is connecting the Adtran to the PIX. I don't
    see an interface listed in the 'show int' output, other than the three
    ethernet interfaces, but I do see an interface/card on the back of the
    pix in roughly the same position as the one on the 2610 router that
    the Adtran plugs into. I'm not sure if the gender on it is right, but
    I can't pull the Adtran cable off the 2610 to look during business
    hours either :) Does anyone know why I can't see another interface in
    the 'show int' output when it appears there is one from looking on the
    outside? If it's not a true serial interface, can I just pull the one
    from the 2610 and insert it in the PIX to connect with the Adtran?
    The idea is, I want to eliminate the 2610 in this office, and use it
    in another office. But, I'm not sure if I actually do need it to
    interface with the Adtran.....(I'm thinking the Cisco partner who set
    up the equipment originally just stacked the invoice with a 2610 that
    we didn't need, but who knows....)
    A. Yarrington, Dec 2, 2003

  2. In article <>,
    A. Yarrington <> wrote:
    :When we originally got our Cisco hardware, an outside vendor set
    :things up for us initially and I took it from there (I was in my early
    :days of I.T.). In our office, we have a Full T-1 internet circuit,
    :which we're connected to as follows: T-1 card <--> Adtran CSU/DSU <-->
    :2610 Router <--> Pix 515 <--> Switch.

    :Now, in looking at the router config, it's not really doing anything
    :except passing traffic to and from the serial interface that connects
    :to the Adtran.

    The PIX cannot talk T1, so you need the router (or equivilent) in there.

    :What I'm wondering is whether or not I should be able
    :to run without the router, connecting the pix on one interface to the
    :Adtran, and the other to the switch?

    No, never. Your 515 model can support only ethernet and token-ring,
    and I'm not sure that token-ring is even supported in 6.x.

    :The one
    :thing I'm not sure about is connecting the Adtran to the PIX. I don't
    :see an interface listed in the 'show int' output, other than the three
    :ethernet interfaces, but I do see an interface/card on the back of the
    :pix in roughly the same position as the one on the 2610 router that
    :the Adtran plugs into. I'm not sure if the gender on it is right, but
    :I can't pull the Adtran cable off the 2610 to look during business
    :hours either :) Does anyone know why I can't see another interface in
    :the 'show int' output when it appears there is one from looking on the
    :eek:utside? If it's not a true serial interface, can I just pull the one
    :from the 2610 and insert it in the PIX to connect with the Adtran?

    There is a serial interface on the 515 for use as a console connection.
    You cannot send traffic through that interface. I am not sure offhand
    if the serial interface is DB25 or DB9. The serial interface between
    the Adtran and the 2610 is likely V.43.

    There is also a failover interface on the 515, which shouldn't look
    even -close- to the kind of connector the Adtran would have.

    :The idea is, I want to eliminate the 2610 in this office, and use it
    :in another office. But, I'm not sure if I actually do need it to
    :interface with the Adtran.....(I'm thinking the Cisco partner who set
    :up the equipment originally just stacked the invoice with a 2610 that
    :we didn't need, but who knows....)

    You need -something- to do the HDLC or PPP encapsulation. You might
    be able to find some box somewhere that does not much more than bridge
    between T1 and ethernet (e.g., perhaps one of the RAD FCD devices
    at http://www.bestdatasource.com/RAD/DSAD/cRADFCDT1ACETUV.htm ).
    But that won't necessarily be a cost-effective solution compared to
    getting a refurb 17xx or 26xx model for your other office.
    --
    Ceci, ce n'est pas une idée.
    Walter Roberson, Dec 2, 2003