Dumb Question I expect but could someone help

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Earlybird, Mar 15, 2005.

  1. Earlybird

    Earlybird Guest

    What is digital slr?

    I ahve looked at the fuji finepix s7000 and the EOS Digital Rebel

    I don't know what the difference is

    Is one film and other flash card or are they both flash card?

    Do I need a film scanner to put on pc?

    What are the benefits of slr? Seems a lot of people say they are best.

    Any help appreciated.

    This is a honest request for help.

    many thanks

    Jon
    Earlybird, Mar 15, 2005

  2. Earlybird

    MartinS Guest

    "Earlybird" <> wrote:

    > What is digital slr?
    >
    > I ahve looked at the fuji finepix s7000 and the EOS Digital Rebel
    >
    > I don't know what the difference is
    >
    > Is one film and other flash card or are they both flash card?
    >
    > Do I need a film scanner to put on pc?
    >
    > What are the benefits of slr? Seems a lot of people say they are best.
    >
    > Any help appreciated.
    >
    > This is a honest request for help.
    >
    > many thanks

    Try rec.photo.digital.zlr

    --
    Martin S.
    MartinS, Mar 15, 2005

  3. Earlybird

    Drifter Guest

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 20:44:09 GMT, "Earlybird" <>
    wrote:

    >What is digital slr?

    Jon:
    I'm not trying to take your head off, but literally few seconds to
    type "define DSLR" in Google and you have tons of answers.

    see here
    http://www.cnet.com.au/photography/cameras/0,39025768,40002102-2,00.htm

    Some people -will- take your head off over stuff like this because
    A) The answer is extremely easy to find.
    B) The question has been asked 10k times.
    As a result it makes you sound pretty lazy. (not saying you are, but
    that's how some will take it).

    Always, always, ALWAYS try a quick search on www.Google.com or the
    other search engine of your choice first, especially for general
    questions like the definition of a term.

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."
    Drifter, Mar 16, 2005
  4. "Earlybird" <> writes:

    > What is digital slr?
    >
    > I ahve looked at the fuji finepix s7000 and the EOS Digital Rebel
    >
    > I don't know what the difference is

    As generally used in these groups, a "digital SLR" is a camera body
    that takes the same (mostly) lenses as some particular line of 35mm
    film SLRs, but which records the images digitally.

    > Is one film and other flash card or are they both flash card?

    Both store the photos to memory cards of some sort.

    > Do I need a film scanner to put on pc?

    No.

    > What are the benefits of slr? Seems a lot of people say they are best.

    Interchangeable lenses is the biggest one. Also, similarity to what
    we're used to working with (many of us came to digital from years of
    working with 35mm film SLRs). Faster response, faster focusing. Much
    lower image noise levels especially at high ISOs (because they use
    physically larger sensors, and sensors optimized for quality giving up
    things like live preview).

    This is a "money plus effort" for "flexibility and quality" tradeoff.
    The DSLR plus lenses is a LOT heavier and more expensive than
    something like the Fuji S7000 or whatever. However, you can do a lot
    more with it if you take the time to learn how and work hard enough to
    actually do it. Which will fit your needs/desires better, you'll have
    to figure out for yourself.

    > Any help appreciated.
    >
    > This is a honest request for help.

    Hope that helps!
    David Dyer-Bennet, Mar 16, 2005
  5. Earlybird

    Mick Guest

    > I have looked at the fuji finepix s7000 and the EOS Digital Rebel

    Q. I don't know what the difference is?
    A. SLR = Single Lens Reflex. You view the subject image in the camera
    viewfinder exactly as it is viewed by the lens, via a pentaprism, or in the
    case of the Rebel, mirrors, and in turn is captured on digital media (or
    film) (memory card, compact flash etc) as it is seen also.
    The s7000 uses a small LCD EVF (Electronic Viewfinder), a small version of
    the LCD screen on which you view the pictures you have taken, and is not a
    true SLR. You are also not able to change the lens on the 7000

    Whereas the Rebel uses a mirror in front of the image sensor, to view the
    subject image through the lens itself. The mirror lifts up out of the way
    (fraction of a second) just before the picture is taken.

    Q. Is one film and other flash card or are they both flash card?
    A. Both Digital (no film)

    Q. Do I need a film scanner to put on pc?
    A. NO

    Q. What are the benefits of slr? Seems a lot of people say they are best.
    A. Interchangeable lenses (quality lenses), lots more accessories, and in
    "most cases" build quality.

    Hope that helps, though it is very basic, you would be better off, doing a
    search on the web for a more detailed explaination.

    Here is a link to a Buying Guide that might be of some help.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

    Mick, Mar 16, 2005
  6. Earlybird

    Steve Guest

    Drifter wrote:

    > As a result it makes you sound pretty lazy. (not saying you are, but
    > that's how some will take it).

    I honestly think there are just a lot of people to whom it just never occurs to look
    for the info themselves. It's not laziness, but it's not a trait that will get them a
    lot of flattery, either. It's also possible that he looked but didn't narrow the
    search and was scared off by the thousands of results to wade through.

    > Always, always, ALWAYS try a quick search on www.Google.com

    Yeah. What he said. It won't always be as easy as asking here, but the answers might
    be a lot better, and they'll almost all be civil.

    --
    Steve

    belief that it was intended as a statement of fact.

    If you want a reply to reach me, remove the SPAMTRAP from the address.
    Steve, Mar 16, 2005
  7. Earlybird

    Earlybird Guest

    Many thanks for your imput everyone.

    I understand a bit better now so will be able to do research better than
    what I did origanly.

    Thanks for your time

    Jon

    Earlybird, Mar 16, 2005
  8. Earlybird

    Scott Guest

    Re: Dumb Question I expect but could someone help

    A digital SLR (single-lens-reflex) has interchangeable lenses and is
    usually classified as a Prosumer camera. You can get an overview and
    specific camera reviews and recommendations of digital slr digital
    cameras here:

    http://digital-camera.review-center.com/guide/guide.php?id=14
    Scott, Mar 17, 2005
  9. Earlybird

    Min Guest

    Re: Dumb Question I expect but could someone help

    In article <>,
    Scott <> writes
    >A digital SLR (single-lens-reflex) has interchangeable lenses and is
    >usually classified as a Prosumer camera. You can get an overview and
    >specific camera reviews and recommendations of digital slr digital
    >cameras here:
    >
    >http://digital-camera.review-center.com/guide/guide.php?id=14

    And your question is?
    Min
    --
    And the method HAS born fruit, not matter what the barnacles say
    Min, Mar 18, 2005
  10. Earlybird

    The PhAnToM Guest

    Min wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Scott <> writes
    > >A digital SLR (single-lens-reflex) has interchangeable lenses and is
    > >usually classified as a Prosumer camera. You can get an overview and
    > >specific camera reviews and recommendations of digital slr digital
    > >cameras here:
    > >
    > >http://digital-camera.review-center.com/guide/guide.php?id=14
    > >

    > And your question is?

    How to read newsgroups.
    The PhAnToM, Mar 18, 2005
  11. Re: Dumb Question I expect but could someone help

    Min <> wrote:
    : In article <>,
    : Scott <> writes
    : >A digital SLR (single-lens-reflex) has interchangeable lenses and is
    : >usually classified as a Prosumer camera. You can get an overview and
    : >specific camera reviews and recommendations of digital slr digital
    : >cameras here:
    : >
    : >http://digital-camera.review-center.com/guide/guide.php?id=14
    : >
    : And your question is?

    He wasn't asking a question. He was answering one.

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL
    Randy Berbaum, Mar 18, 2005
  12. >What is digital slr?

    Here's the basic story.

    There are at least two ways of dividing up cameras.

    1. Digital vs. film. A digital camera captures images to a flash
    card or other electronic medium. Digital is usually better for
    capturing digital images, and certainly more convenient for capturing
    digital images. In fact, for snapshots and medium-quality
    enlargements, digital is more convenient in every regard. But a
    digital camera will be more expensive than a film camera of the same
    quality, sometimes much more expensive.

    2. SLR vs. fixed-lens. An SLR lets you change lenses, while a
    fixed-lens camera does not. (There are other non-SLR cameras that
    also let you change lenses, though.) The reasons an SLR is better
    than a fixed-lens camera are threefold: First, you can change lenses,
    so you have more flexibility. Secondly, because you can use more than
    one lens, you don't have to have one lens that does everything, so you
    get higher quality. Thirdly, most SLRs are designed to be of higher
    quality than most fixed-lens cameras.

    A digital SLR is just that: a digital camera that lets you change
    lenses.

    -Joel

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Mar 18, 2005
  13. Earlybird

    Joe Makowiec Guest

    On 18 Mar 2005 in rec.photo.digital, Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:

    > 2. SLR vs. fixed-lens. An SLR lets you change lenses, while a
    > fixed-lens camera does not.

    Nope. An SLR (Single Lens Reflex) has a single lens (as opposed to dual
    lens cameras[1]), and uses a reflex (mirror) to send the image to the
    viewfinder. Whether or not the lens is interchangable has nothing to do
    with it. The fact of the matter is that virtually all SLRs have
    interchangable lenses; however, some rangefinders do, too.

    [1] Classic Rolleiflexes, for example; see http://www.foto.no/rolleiflex/
    --
    Joe Makowiec
    http://makowiec.org/
    Joe Makowiec, Mar 18, 2005
  14. Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
    >> What is digital slr?

    > Here's the basic story.
    >
    > There are at least two ways of dividing up cameras.

    > A digital SLR is just that: a digital camera that lets you change
    > lenses.
    >
    > -Joel

    De facto perhaps but not *required* by the words "single-lens reflex"!

    --
    James V. Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland, USA
    James Silverton, Mar 18, 2005
  15. Earlybird

    Tumbleweed Guest

    "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <> wrote in message
    > >What is digital slr?

    > Here's the basic story.
    >
    > 2. SLR vs. fixed-lens. An SLR lets you change lenses, while a
    > fixed-lens camera does not. (There are other non-SLR cameras that
    > also let you change lenses, though.) The reasons an SLR is better
    > than a fixed-lens camera are threefold: First, you can change lenses,
    > so you have more flexibility. Secondly, because you can use more than
    > one lens, you don't have to have one lens that does everything, so you
    > get higher quality. Thirdly, most SLRs are designed to be of higher
    > quality than most fixed-lens cameras.
    >
    > A digital SLR is just that: a digital camera that lets you change
    > lenses.

    Erm .... while that may often be true, it is far from being on the mark!
    There are plenty of non slr's around with interchangeable lenses - albeit no
    digitals that I know of.

    The reason for the SLR is the desire to see what you are actually framing.

    The Single Lens Reflex allow the user to view the actual image which will
    hit the film plane at the time of exposure through the taking lens.
    ..
    Twin lens reflexes used two matching lenses, one to view and one to shoot.
    This was better than optical viewfinder cameras but did not totally
    eliminate parallax error. Nor could you see the effects of graduated filters
    etc.

    The beauty of the single lens reflex is viewing through the taking lens: you
    can accurately preview depth of field. take real macro photos (virtually
    impossible with any other camera) and experiment with filters before
    exposing a frame.

    The advent of digital means that there is less "risk" attached to taking
    frames since they are virtually free
    Tumbleweed, Mar 18, 2005
  16. Tumbleweed wrote:
    []
    > The reason for the SLR is the desire to see what you are actually
    > framing.

    []
    > The beauty of the single lens reflex is viewing through the taking
    > lens: you can accurately preview depth of field. take real macro
    > photos (virtually impossible with any other camera) and experiment
    > with filters before exposing a frame.
    >
    > The advent of digital means that there is less "risk" attached to
    > taking frames since they are virtually free

    ... and, of course, that any camera with an LCD or EVF finder offers
    exactly the sort of live framing advantages only previously available with
    SLR cameras.

    David
    David J Taylor, Mar 18, 2005
  17. Earlybird

    Tumbleweed Guest

    "David J Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
    wrote in message news:jFD_d.215$...
    > Tumbleweed wrote:
    > []
    >> The reason for the SLR is the desire to see what you are actually
    >> framing.

    > []
    >> The beauty of the single lens reflex is viewing through the taking
    >> lens: you can accurately preview depth of field. take real macro
    >> photos (virtually impossible with any other camera) and experiment
    >> with filters before exposing a frame.
    >>
    >> The advent of digital means that there is less "risk" attached to
    >> taking frames since they are virtually free

    > .. and, of course, that any camera with an LCD or EVF finder offers
    > exactly the sort of live framing advantages only previously available with
    > SLR cameras.
    >
    > David

    Up to a point. But a (as yet) there is no camera with an LCD or EVF that is
    capable of resolving detail sufficiently accurately to take macro 'photos or
    to accurately evaluate D.O.F ..... I accept that they are vastly better than
    optical viewfinders. But still (currently) limited in capability.
    Tumbleweed, Mar 18, 2005
  18. Tumbleweed wrote:
    > "David J Taylor"
    > <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote in
    > message news:jFD_d.215$...
    >> Tumbleweed wrote:
    >> []
    >>> The reason for the SLR is the desire to see what you are actually
    >>> framing.

    >> []
    >>> The beauty of the single lens reflex is viewing through the taking
    >>> lens: you can accurately preview depth of field. take real macro
    >>> photos (virtually impossible with any other camera) and experiment
    >>> with filters before exposing a frame.
    >>>
    >>> The advent of digital means that there is less "risk" attached to
    >>> taking frames since they are virtually free

    >> .. and, of course, that any camera with an LCD or EVF finder offers
    >> exactly the sort of live framing advantages only previously
    >> available with SLR cameras.
    >>
    >> David

    > Up to a point. But a (as yet) there is no camera with an LCD or EVF
    > that is capable of resolving detail sufficiently accurately to take
    > macro 'photos or to accurately evaluate D.O.F ..... I accept that
    > they are vastly better than optical viewfinders. But still
    > (currently) limited in capability.

    Which is precisely why I said "framing", and made no claim that a DSLR
    finder was the same as an EVF or LCD finder. Focus is not so much of an
    issue with macro, though, due to the much larger depth-of-field on the
    smaller sensor P&S.

    How disappointing, though, to see the one manufacturer who had actually
    made progress in that area with an excellent VGA resolution EVF cut the
    cost on their next camera with a much poorer resolution EVF. Perhaps they
    were starting to compete with their new DSLR line....

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Mar 18, 2005