Dumb newbie question

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by David W.E. Roberts, May 8, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    quick VOIP question before the FAQ turns up:

    Does VOIP only work in the client/server model i.e. you have to have a 3rd
    party server to connect two VOIP subscribers together, or do you only need
    3rd party servers to bridge between the IP network (e.g. the Internet) and
    fixed/mobile telecoms subscribers?
    [Thinking in WLAN terms - ad hoc or infrastructure options]

    To put it another way, can you phone your mate directly as an alternative to
    using MSN chat or Netmeeting etc.?
    [O.K. bad analogy as they are client/server]

    The 3rd way (gripping hand?) - can you run a VOIP server on your home Linux
    server and connect incoming from a VOIP phone and from a LAN VOIP phone?

    One reason is that I am away from home a lot but have access to a Broadband
    connection at my remote location.
    Can I set up VOIP to get free phone calls home?

    O.K. the setup cost may be huge compared with the initial saving, but can it
    be done?

    TIA

    Dave R

    David W.E. Roberts, May 8, 2005

  2. David W.E. Roberts

    keymaster Guest

    "David W.E. Roberts" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > quick VOIP question before the FAQ turns up:
    >
    > Does VOIP only work in the client/server model i.e. you have to have a 3rd
    > party server to connect two VOIP subscribers together, or do you only need
    > 3rd party servers to bridge between the IP network (e.g. the Internet) and
    > fixed/mobile telecoms subscribers?
    > [Thinking in WLAN terms - ad hoc or infrastructure options]
    >
    > To put it another way, can you phone your mate directly as an alternative
    > using MSN chat or Netmeeting etc.?
    > [O.K. bad analogy as they are client/server]
    >
    > The 3rd way (gripping hand?) - can you run a VOIP server on your home
    > Linux
    > server and connect incoming from a VOIP phone and from a LAN VOIP phone?
    >
    > One reason is that I am away from home a lot but have access to a
    > Broadband
    > connection at my remote location.
    > Can I set up VOIP to get free phone calls home?
    >
    > O.K. the setup cost may be huge compared with the initial saving, but can
    > it
    > be done?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Dave R

    Hi
    I believe yes yes and thrice yes.
    favourate providers here seem to be www.sipgate.co.uk and www.voipfone.co.uk
    and I think you should google "asterisk"
    cheers
    Roy
    keymaster, May 8, 2005

  3. David W.E. Roberts

    Tym Guest

    On Sun, 8 May 2005 11:17:47 +0100, "David W.E. Roberts"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >quick VOIP question before the FAQ turns up:
    >
    >Does VOIP only work in the client/server model i.e. you have to have a 3rd
    >party server to connect two VOIP subscribers together, or do you only need
    >3rd party servers to bridge between the IP network (e.g. the Internet) and
    >fixed/mobile telecoms subscribers?
    >[Thinking in WLAN terms - ad hoc or infrastructure options]

    Check out Skype
    Tym, Oct 7, 2005