Dumb, dumb dumb Qestion

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David Napierkowski, Oct 30, 2004.

  1. So dumb in fact I may be able to survive the humiliation with the answer.

    I'm unable to copy or move my completed scans from my Image directory to the
    CD or to a DVD. The system keeps coming up telling me the disk is either full
    or is unwritable. These are new Mewmorex DVD +R 4,7 Gig 4 x discs.

    I am running Windows XP on a 3 gig HP a450n wiht a DVD+RW/CDRW combo drive.
    Same thing happens when I try to use other discs.

    What I do is

    1. Highlight the files I want transferred
    2. click on copy or move the hig
    3 Insert Disc in proper drive per insturctions
    4. when informed I have files waiting to be copied or moved I go to the temp
    directiory, highlight the files and click enter.

    Then I invariably get the above response *disk is either full or is
    unwritable.*

    Suggestions please?

    Thanks

    David N.

    David Napierkowski, Oct 30, 2004

  2. David Napierkowski

    DDDD Guest

    What operating system are you using?

    DDDD

    DDDD, Oct 30, 2004

  3. David Napierkowski

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    David Napierkowski wrote:
    > So dumb in fact I may be able to survive the humiliation with the answer.
    >
    > I'm unable to copy or move my completed scans from my Image directory to the
    > CD or to a DVD. The system keeps coming up telling me the disk is either full
    > or is unwritable. These are new Mewmorex DVD +R 4,7 Gig 4 x discs.
    >
    > I am running Windows XP on a 3 gig HP a450n wiht a DVD+RW/CDRW combo drive.
    > Same thing happens when I try to use other discs.
    >
    > What I do is
    >
    > 1. Highlight the files I want transferred
    > 2. click on copy or move the hig
    > 3 Insert Disc in proper drive per insturctions
    > 4. when informed I have files waiting to be copied or moved I go to the temp
    > directiory, highlight the files and click enter.
    >
    > Then I invariably get the above response *disk is either full or is
    > unwritable.*
    >
    > Suggestions please?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > David N.

    Hi David...

    Use dc/dvd burning software... something like
    roxio or nero. An entry level version of one of them should
    have come with your burner?

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Oct 30, 2004
  4. David Napierkowski

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: (David Napierkowski)

    >What I do is
    >
    >1. Highlight the files I want transferred
    >2. click on copy or move the hig
    >3 Insert Disc in proper drive per insturctions
    >4. when informed I have files waiting to be copied or moved I go to the temp
    >directiory, highlight the files and click enter.
    >
    >Then I invariably get the above response *disk is either full or is
    >unwritable.*
    >
    >Suggestions please?

    The disk is indeed "unwritable" this way ... use something like Roxio or other
    DVD burning software. Usually a basic program is included with the computer
    unless you added the drive later.

    For many programs all you have to do is insert a blank new disk and the program
    to write it will launch automatically. Try that first and see if something
    pops up.

    If that doesn't work here's a site with a list of programs that burn DVDs ...
    you can probably find reviews of these with Google.

    http://cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/dvd_dvd-writer_software.shtml

    >So dumb in fact I may be able to survive the humiliation with the answer.

    No problem, it's happened to all of us ... what's dumb is not to ask for help
    at all ... though most of us would probably post the Q using a fake name :)

    Bill Hilton, Oct 30, 2004
  5. XP does not support writing to DVDs. Use software (I use Veritas as it came
    with my computer).

    Charles Schuler, Oct 30, 2004
  6. David Napierkowski

    Alan Meyer Guest

    "Bill Hilton" <> wrote in message
    > >From: (David Napierkowski)

    > >So dumb in fact I may be able to survive the humiliation with the answer.

    > No problem, it's happened to all of us ... what's dumb is not to ask for help
    > at all ... though most of us would probably post the Q using a fake name :)

    Bill,

    Unfortunately, that is too true. At least David is one of those with the
    grace and integrity to own up to his postings. More points for him.

    Alan

    Alan Meyer, Oct 30, 2004
  7. David Napierkowski

    Guest

    On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 14:23:50 -0400, "DDDD" <> wrote:

    >What operating system are you using?

    If you can't find the sentence which starts "I am running
    Windows XP ....", you're not likely to understand the rest of the
    question or be of any help.

    >DDDD
    >
    >"David Napierkowski" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> So dumb in fact I may be able to survive the humiliation with the answer.
    >>
    >> I'm unable to copy or move my completed scans from my Image directory to
    >> the
    >> CD or to a DVD. The system keeps coming up telling me the disk is either
    >> full
    >> or is unwritable. These are new Mewmorex DVD +R 4,7 Gig 4 x discs.
    >>
    >> I am running Windows XP on a 3 gig HP a450n wiht a DVD+RW/CDRW combo
    >> drive.
    >> Same thing happens when I try to use other discs.
    >>
    >> What I do is
    >>
    >> 1. Highlight the files I want transferred
    >> 2. click on copy or move the hig
    >> 3 Insert Disc in proper drive per insturctions
    >> 4. when informed I have files waiting to be copied or moved I go to the
    >> temp
    >> directiory, highlight the files and click enter.
    >>
    >> Then I invariably get the above response *disk is either full or is
    >> unwritable.*
    >>
    >> Suggestions please?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> David N.