    unfiltered dsl jack and the ethernet jack on the computer?

    Thanks,

    cg

    cg, Dec 15, 2006

  2. cg

    Baron Guest

    cg wrote:

    > I have DSL at home.
    > I have a dsl modem/router in one rom. It supports wireless.
    > I want to use computers in other room, but they are not wireless
    > capable.
    > I have dsl filters plugged in all phone outlets.
    >
    > Do I need to purchase a dsl modem for each computer to be connected
    > to the unfiltered dsl jack on the filter? If yes, is there a simple
    > adapter that works as a dsl modem, which will sit in between the
    > unfiltered dsl jack and the ethernet jack on the computer?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > cg

    Either hard wire them or buy wireless dongles !

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, Dec 15, 2006

  3. cg

    bmoag Guest

    If you cannot hardwire the computers to the router you must have wireless
    adapters for your computers. There are very good USB wireless adapters so
    you do not have to open the computers to install hardware. If you go
    wireless it is simple, and very important, to use some form of encryption.
    The router should have clear instructions how to do this.

    bmoag, Dec 16, 2006
  4. cg

    Guest

    cg wrote:
    > I have DSL at home.
    > I have a dsl modem/router in one rom. It supports wireless.
    > I want to use computers in other room, but they are not wireless
    > capable.
    > I have dsl filters plugged in all phone outlets.
    >
    > Do I need to purchase a dsl modem for each computer to be connected to
    > the unfiltered dsl jack on the filter? If yes, is there a simple
    > adapter that works as a dsl modem, which will sit in between the
    > unfiltered dsl jack and the ethernet jack on the computer?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > cg

    you either go wired or wireless.

    for wired, you can get a standard dsl "home router" they tend to have
    modems in them, and a 'network switch' in them so you can connect many
    computers to them. You will recognise them 'cos they'll have a
    telephone socket(for its modem) and a few ethernet sockets(for its
    switch).

    for wireless, i'm not that into it, but you can get wireless things for
    your computers. e.g. wireless usb adaptors or PCI cards with wireless
    things.
    wireless routers (all I think) have at least one ethernet socket. For
    wired use or for temporary use, while configuring the wireless aspect.
    They'll allow many computers to connect 'cos they (all I think) have a
    wireless access point (wireless network switch) in them

    either way you have one modem. . Typically in the device..

    With DSL I think it's typically in the device. I haven't seen separate
    dsl modems in the uk. Perhaps in america you can get modems separately.

    With Cable(not DSL) i've seen the modem separate. uk isps often do that
    i think.

    , Dec 16, 2006
  5. cg

    David Azose Guest

    cg wrote:
    > I have DSL at home.
    > I have a dsl modem/router in one rom. It supports wireless.
    > I want to use computers in other room, but they are not wireless
    > capable.
    > I have dsl filters plugged in all phone outlets.
    >
    > Do I need to purchase a dsl modem for each computer to be connected to
    > the unfiltered dsl jack on the filter? If yes, is there a simple
    > adapter that works as a dsl modem, which will sit in between the
    > unfiltered dsl jack and the ethernet jack on the computer?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > cg

    I think the filters' sole purpose is to filter out noise on your phone
    line. I have never heard of an "unfiltered DSL jack" on a phone line
    filter. The jacks on phone line equipment, including filters, are a
    different size (smaller) than standard ethernet jacks.

    Since your DSL modem also supports wireless, that is the easiest route
    to take. You do not have to purchase separate DSL modems but you will
    have to purchase and install wireless adapters for each of the other
    computers. Several companies make USB wireless adapters that plug into
    the computer's USB port, so you don't even have to open up the computers.

    David Azose, Dec 18, 2006
  6. cg

    cg Guest

    Many thanks.

    Clearly it looks like going for wireless is the best option.
    The thing is my main computer runs on XP home, and other two desktop
    computers run on Linux and Windows 98. Each works when directly
    connected to the router. But I was not sure about whether these two
    would work with wireless.
    Anyway, I'll give a try with USB wireless adapters.

    Thanks again,

    cg

    cg, Dec 18, 2006