    I was fighting a losing battle against dull skies. Is there anything
    that anyone here does to try to fix them beyond, say, cropping them out
    as much as possible?

    Cynicor, Aug 21, 2007

  2. Cynicor

    Eric Miller Guest

    "Cynicor" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've just come back from a couple of weeks in Scotland, and on most days I
    > was fighting a losing battle against dull skies. Is there anything that
    > anyone here does to try to fix them beyond, say, cropping them out as much
    > as possible?

    You might try a gradient selection in PS to make them darker and then play
    with the levels on the same selection to bring out some detail, if any is
    there: sort of a post-processing ND filter. I also tend to end up cropping
    them out as much as possible.

    Eric Miller
    www.dyesscreek.com

    Eric Miller, Aug 21, 2007

  3. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    Eric Miller wrote:
    > "Cynicor" <> wrote in message
    >> I've just come back from a couple of weeks in Scotland, and on most days I
    >> was fighting a losing battle against dull skies. Is there anything that
    >> anyone here does to try to fix them beyond, say, cropping them out as much
    >> as possible?

    > You might try a gradient selection in PS to make them darker and then play
    > with the levels on the same selection to bring out some detail, if any is
    > there: sort of a post-processing ND filter. I also tend to end up cropping
    > them out as much as possible.

    I'm thinking about creating my own stock library of various cloud
    photos, just so I'll have something to add a bit of texture in the
    worst-off shots.

    Cynicor, Aug 21, 2007
  4. Cynicor

    Guest

    On Aug 21, 4:08 pm, Cynicor <> wrote:
    > Eric Miller wrote:
    > > "Cynicor" <> wrote in message
    > >> I've just come back from a couple of weeks in Scotland, and on most days I
    > >> was fighting a losing battle against dull skies. Is there anything that
    > >> anyone here does to try to fix them beyond, say, cropping them out as much
    > >> as possible?

    > > You might try a gradient selection in PS to make them darker and then play
    > > with the levels on the same selection to bring out some detail, if any is
    > > there: sort of a post-processing ND filter. I also tend to end up cropping
    > > them out as much as possible.

    > I'm thinking about creating my own stock library of various cloud
    > photos, just so I'll have something to add a bit of texture in the
    > worst-off shots.

    I sometimes found that a dull sky has a lot of potential to accentuate
    the mood of a photograph. With some manipulation, you can bring out
    the reflection of a dull sky out of a water body (pond, river, etc),
    creating very rich, colourful photos. I could not do that in a very
    bright day.

    I do have some selection of cloud pictures at this location
    http://picasaweb.google.com/aniramca/Colourful_Sky

    , Aug 21, 2007
  5. Cynicor

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Eric Miller <> wrote:
    >"Cynicor" <> wrote in message

    >> I've just come back from a couple of weeks in Scotland, and on most days I
    >> was fighting a losing battle against dull skies. Is there anything that
    >> anyone here does to try to fix them beyond, say, cropping them out as much
    >> as possible?

    >You might try a gradient selection in PS to make them darker and then play
    >with the levels on the same selection to bring out some detail, if any is
    >there: sort of a post-processing ND filter. I also tend to end up cropping
    >them out as much as possible.

    Or crank up the contrast and color saturation and make the whole scene
    more vibrant.

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Aug 22, 2007
  6. Cynicor

    Bucky Guest

    On Aug 21, 11:15 pm, (Ray Fischer) wrote:
    > Or crank up the contrast and color saturation and make the whole scene
    > more vibrant.

    even better, select the sky and increase contrast and saturation, so
    that the rest of the scene does not get affected. You could also try
    adjust color temperature (very easy with Picasa).

    Bucky, Aug 22, 2007
  7. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    Ray Fischer wrote:
    > Eric Miller <> wrote:
    >> "Cynicor" <> wrote in message

    >>> I've just come back from a couple of weeks in Scotland, and on most days I
    >>> was fighting a losing battle against dull skies. Is there anything that
    >>> anyone here does to try to fix them beyond, say, cropping them out as much
    >>> as possible?

    >> You might try a gradient selection in PS to make them darker and then play
    >> with the levels on the same selection to bring out some detail, if any is
    >> there: sort of a post-processing ND filter. I also tend to end up cropping
    >> them out as much as possible.

    > Or crank up the contrast and color saturation and make the whole scene
    > more vibrant.

    Yeah, I do that a bit but I don't want to get into Ken Rockwell
    territory. :D

    I've tried bracketing or sandwiching two exposure levels from a RAW
    file, but I never get the sky selection feathered quite right.

    The other problem I had was the constant mist and showers as I tried to
    shoot. I would compose, have to wipe off the front filter, and
    recompose. I had bought this "probrella" at B&H - it attaches with a
    standard tripod screw - but it actually blew off and down a cliff while
    I was in Ireland!

    Cynicor, Aug 22, 2007