    or XP or do you need to use server operating software?
    And can regular programs run on these duel processor syst.

    Thanksss

    Ja ate1, Feb 23, 2004

  2. Ja ate1

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    (Ja ate1) wrote in news:20040223005227.06694.00000158@mb-
    m05.aol.com:

    > If you make a duel processor Xeon sytem, can you use Win2k
    > or XP or do you need to use server operating software?

    Windows 2000 Professional supports a max of 2 CPUs, Server is 4, Advanced
    Server is 16, Datacenter Server is 64.

    XP Home only supports 1 CPU, so you would need XP Pro, which can use 2.

    > And can regular programs run on these duel processor syst.

    Yes, however you will see a perfomance gain of 0% and possibly a 2% to 5%
    performance /loss/. The only programs that can take advantage of an extra
    CPU are SMP aware programs, things like Photoshop, 3dsMax, most compilers,
    audio/video encoders, etc. Things like games, with the exception of Quake
    3 Arena, are not SMP aware and won't notice, care about, or use the second
    processor for anything.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Feb 23, 2004

  3. Ja ate1

    Ja ate1 Guest

    So what would be the use for your home user to build a duel processor syst. ?

    Ja ate1, Feb 24, 2004
  4. Ja ate1

    Basket Case Guest

    "Ja ate1" <> wrote in message
    > So what would be the use for your home user to build a duel processor

    syst. ?

    For the every day user who surfs the web, checks email, and plays a few
    games, there isn't any use.

    -BC

    Basket Case, Feb 24, 2004
  5. Ja ate1

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    (Ja ate1) wrote in

    > So what would be the use for your home user to build a duel processor
    > syst. ?

    For the home user it would serve basically no purpose what so ever. For
    someone who is a power user that does home user activities, it is nice to
    be able to say to your friends "Yeah, I got me a dual Opteron workstation",
    but you wouldn't see very much real world difference.

    DeMoN LaG, Feb 24, 2004
  6. Ja ate1

    Night_Seer Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:
    > (Ja ate1) wrote in
    >
    >> So what would be the use for your home user to build a duel processor
    >> syst. ?
    >>

    > For the home user it would serve basically no purpose what so ever.
    > For someone who is a power user that does home user activities, it is
    > nice to be able to say to your friends "Yeah, I got me a dual Opteron
    > workstation", but you wouldn't see very much real world difference.

    What about multi tasking and setting different tasks "Affinity" to a
    seperate processor. As a power user and gamer, I would love to be able
    to play Battlefield 1942 while my other processor crunches some mp3
    encoding. And with a good opteron setup, each processor could have its
    own memory banks, and not have to share memory. I guess your average
    home user might not understand this, but there is definately some
    advantages to it, even with non-smp programs. Then comes along photshop
    and other programs I use, and things get even better.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Feb 24, 2004
  7. Ja ate1

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in

    > own memory banks, and not have to share memory. I guess your average
    > home user might not understand this, but there is definately some
    > advantages to it, even with non-smp programs. Then comes along photshop
    > and other programs I use, and things get even better.

    Yes, for someone like yourself who may be constantly encoding MP3s or video
    while doing gaming, you may see an advantage. The average home user
    generally does one or the other, not both at once. Most don't even do
    that, most just surf the net and read email. I would say 90% of the
    population would have absolutely no use for a dual processor machine, 8%
    could use one but it isn't necessary.

    DeMoN LaG, Feb 25, 2004
  8. Ja ate1

    Night_Seer Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:
    > "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in
    >
    >> own memory banks, and not have to share memory. I guess your average
    >> home user might not understand this, but there is definately some
    >> advantages to it, even with non-smp programs. Then comes along
    >> photshop and other programs I use, and things get even better.

    > Yes, for someone like yourself who may be constantly encoding MP3s or
    > video while doing gaming, you may see an advantage. The average home
    > user generally does one or the other, not both at once. Most don't
    > even do that, most just surf the net and read email. I would say 90%
    > of the population would have absolutely no use for a dual processor
    > machine, 8% could use one but it isn't necessary.

    Yes I see your point...I agree with this, as I have many examples of
    what you speak of.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Feb 25, 2004