Duck Soup Not in Marx Bros Set

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Winston Corcoran, Apr 21, 2004.

  1. Anyone know when/if DUck Soup will get rereleased ?

    Winston Corcoran, Apr 21, 2004

  2. "Winston Corcoran" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone know when/if DUck Soup will get rereleased ?

    _Duck Soup_ was already released as an Image DVD on 10/17/00.

    However, the Image version of _Duck Soup_ is now out of print, along
    original Image versions of other Marx Brothers classics, such as
    _Cocoanuts_, _Animal Crackers_ and _Horse Feathers_. Now, Image has
    brought back the last three titles, but _Duck Soup_ is the holdout.

    Image also has three out of print Mae West classics, _I'm No Angel_,
    _Belle of the Nineties_ and _Klondike Annie_.

    When these movies first appeared on DVD between 1998 and 2000,
    they didn't sell well and ended up being closed out under $10 each.
    Maybe now that there are many millions more DVD players in circulation,
    these titles will sell better and Image will release ALL of them again.

    One-Shot Scot, Apr 21, 2004

  3. On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 06:17:52 -0700, "One-Shot Scot" <>
    wrote:

    >"Winston Corcoran" <> wrote in message
    >> Anyone know when/if DUck Soup will get rereleased ?

    >_Duck Soup_ was already released as an Image DVD on 10/17/00.
    >
    >However, the Image version of _Duck Soup_ is now out of print, along
    >original Image versions of other Marx Brothers classics, such as
    >_Cocoanuts_, _Animal Crackers_ and _Horse Feathers_. Now, Image has
    >brought back the last three titles, but _Duck Soup_ is the holdout.

    The Paramount Marxes are coming back into print?! Where did you see
    that? The original releases still fetch a lot of money.

    . Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Apr 21, 2004
  4. Winston Corcoran

    AAbrams0264 Guest

    DUCK SOUP is not in the set because it was a Paramount film which along with
    THE COCONUTS, ANIMAL CRACKERS, HORSE FEATHERS and MONKEY BUSINESS are now owned
    by Universal. The Box Set is put out by Warner Bros. which owns the rights to
    the brothers' MGM and RKO output along with the NIGHT IN CASABLANCA which is
    now owned by Castle Rock which Warner also releases. Write to Universal -
    they're the ones who should re-release those other goodies.

    AAbrams0264, Apr 21, 2004
  5. Winston Corcoran

    dbf Guest

    If you have a region-free PAL player, all the Paramounts except
    Cocoanuts are available in R2. I also believe there are NTSC releases
    in Brazil(!) that are R0.

    dbf, Apr 21, 2004
  6. "One-Shot Scot" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > "Winston Corcoran" <> wrote in message
    > > Anyone know when/if DUck Soup will get rereleased ?

    > _Duck Soup_ was already released as an Image DVD on 10/17/00.
    >
    > However, the Image version of _Duck Soup_ is now out of print, along
    > original Image versions of other Marx Brothers classics, such as
    > _Cocoanuts_, _Animal Crackers_ and _Horse Feathers_. Now, Image has
    > brought back the last three titles, but _Duck Soup_ is the holdout.

    Image no longer has rights to any of the Marx Brothers titles. If
    you
    saw a package it was a rare leftover from years ago. Universal has the
    rights to
    all four of the above mentioned titles. In articles about Warners'
    upcoming Marx release it was mentioned that Universal was working on
    re-releasing their Marx Brothers movies "before the end of the year".
    But there has been nothing officially announced.

    Edgar Allenpoe, Apr 21, 2004
  7. Winston Corcoran

    jayembee Guest

    Winston Corcoran <> wrote:

    > Anyone know when/if DUck Soup will get rereleased ?

    Yes, it will.

    The reason it's not in the soon-to-be-released set is because
    the set contains only those Marx films owned by Warner Bros
    (films they did for MGM and RKO). DUCK SOUP was originally
    made for Paramount, and is owned by Universal.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Apr 22, 2004
  8. Winston Corcoran

    jayembee Guest

    "Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote:

    > "One-Shot Scot" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Winston Corcoran" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> _Duck Soup_ was already released as an Image DVD on 10/17/00.

    Actually, it was originally released on 21 Jan 1998.

    >> However, the Image version of _Duck Soup_ is now out of
    >> print, along original Image versions of other Marx Brothers
    >> classics, such as _Cocoanuts_, _Animal Crackers_ and
    >> _Horse Feathers_.

    And MONKEY BUSINESS.

    >> Now, Image has brought back the last three titles, but
    >> _Duck Soup_ is the holdout.

    No, they haven't brought any of them back. Image licensed
    these from Universal, who has since withdrawn the license,
    so Image no longer has the rights.

    > The Paramount Marxes are coming back into print?! Where
    > did you see that? The original releases still fetch a lot
    > of money.

    At this point, it's still in the "strong rumor" phase, but
    it's been said from a few different places that Universal
    will be issuing them (probably in their "franchise collection"
    format) in or around November.

    >> Image also has three out of print Mae West classics,
    >> _I'm No Angel_, _Belle of the Nineties_ and _Klondike
    >> Annie_.

    As well as four Abbott & Costello films (three of which had
    been recently reissued by Universal in their first A&C
    "franchise collection" volume). And two of the Hope & Crosby
    Road Movies, which have been reissued by Universal as well.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Apr 22, 2004
  9. "Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in message
    > The Paramount Marxes are coming back into print?! Where did you

    see
    > that? The original releases still fetch a lot of money.
    >
    > . Steve ..

    I saw it here:

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ref=sr_1_2/103-6459570-2014236?v=glance&s=dvd

    Unfortunately, what I didn't notice was that the Amazon page does not
    have a price because the item is out of print:

    Marx Brothers Box

    Availability: Usually ships in 1-2 business days

    DVD Features:
    Includes 3 Marx Bros. Films (see individual titles for complete
    details):

    Animal Crackers (1930, 97 min.),
    Horse Feathers (1932, 67 min.)
    and Duck Soup (1933, 68 min.)