    anything. I was told I could use partition magic or some other program, I do
    not want to invest that kind of money on a $100 computer. Anyone have any
    ideas? What can I do to combine these drives?

    JeffJ, May 30, 2004

  2. JeffJ

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "JeffJ" <> wrote in
    news:H1auc.10764$:

    > I bought an older Lattitude Laptop, 300 Mhz CPU, 128 MB RAM. Not too
    > powerful but enough to surf the web and use newsgroups (Which I cannot
    > do on my corporate Lap). Anyway, it had Win95 installed and I
    > formatted the HD, booted up with a 98 disk and installed Win 2000. I
    > made an error setting up the partition. The computer has a 4 GB HD,
    > now it is in 2-2 GB partitions. C: and D:, C of course works fine, but
    > D is not accessable. I wont to do away with D and have one 4 GB drive
    > without reformatting or deleting anything. I was told I could use
    > partition magic or some other program, I do not want to invest that
    > kind of money on a $100 computer. Anyone have any ideas? What can I do
    > to combine these drives?

    You can wipe it out. I got an old Toshiba test laptop with Win 2k with
    128 and 300 MHz 4 gig HD. I get pissed when I double-click the wrong
    thing as it takes forever for something to start. It's just a about door
    stop material to me now. :)

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, May 30, 2004

  3. JeffJ

    Robert Baer Guest

    Duane Arnold wrote:

    > "JeffJ" <> wrote in
    >
    > > I bought an older Lattitude Laptop, 300 Mhz CPU, 128 MB RAM. Not too
    > > powerful but enough to surf the web and use newsgroups (Which I cannot
    > > do on my corporate Lap). Anyway, it had Win95 installed and I
    > > formatted the HD, booted up with a 98 disk and installed Win 2000. I
    > > made an error setting up the partition. The computer has a 4 GB HD,
    > > now it is in 2-2 GB partitions. C: and D:, C of course works fine, but
    > > D is not accessable. I wont to do away with D and have one 4 GB drive
    > > without reformatting or deleting anything. I was told I could use
    > > partition magic or some other program, I do not want to invest that
    > > kind of money on a $100 computer. Anyone have any ideas? What can I do
    > > to combine these drives?
    > >

    > You can wipe it out. I got an old Toshiba test laptop with Win 2k with
    > 128 and 300 MHz 4 gig HD. I get pissed when I double-click the wrong
    > thing as it takes forever for something to start. It's just a about door
    > stop material to me now. :)
    >
    > Duane :)

    The reason why it is so slow, is that you do not have 350+Mbytes of
    RAM; that is the approximate amount of RAM that Win2K needs to run
    without swapping to the hard drive...
    Get rid of RAM pigs (Win2K or WinXP) and try Win95 or Win98SE.

    Robert Baer, May 30, 2004
  4. JeffJ

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "JeffJ" <> wrote in news:H1auc.10764$4x2.4449
    @fe2.texas.rr.com:

    > Anyone have any
    > ideas? What can I do to combine these drives?

    Repartition and reformat.

    Jim Berwick, May 30, 2004
  5. JeffJ

    Jim Berwick Guest

    Robert Baer <> wrote in news:40B99D0C.716CED69
    @earthlink.net:

    > The reason why it is so slow, is that you do not have 350+Mbytes of
    > RAM; that is the approximate amount of RAM that Win2K needs to run
    > without swapping to the hard drive...

    Unless you go out of your way to load programs, 256 megs of RAM is plenty
    for 2k. I use 256 megs in a gaming box, keep in mind that a game like
    Enemy Territory can use 230MB of RAM by itself.

    Jim Berwick, May 30, 2004
  6. JeffJ

    Hamman Guest

    "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    > Duane Arnold wrote:
    > >
    > > "JeffJ" <> wrote in
    > >
    > > > I bought an older Lattitude Laptop, 300 Mhz CPU, 128 MB RAM. Not too
    > > > powerful but enough to surf the web and use newsgroups (Which I cannot
    > > > do on my corporate Lap). Anyway, it had Win95 installed and I
    > > > formatted the HD, booted up with a 98 disk and installed Win 2000. I
    > > > made an error setting up the partition. The computer has a 4 GB HD,
    > > > now it is in 2-2 GB partitions. C: and D:, C of course works fine, but
    > > > D is not accessable. I wont to do away with D and have one 4 GB drive
    > > > without reformatting or deleting anything. I was told I could use
    > > > partition magic or some other program, I do not want to invest that
    > > > kind of money on a $100 computer. Anyone have any ideas? What can I do
    > > > to combine these drives?
    > > >

    > > You can wipe it out. I got an old Toshiba test laptop with Win 2k with
    > > 128 and 300 MHz 4 gig HD. I get pissed when I double-click the wrong
    > > thing as it takes forever for something to start. It's just a about door
    > > stop material to me now. :)
    > >
    > > Duane :)

    > The reason why it is so slow, is that you do not have 350+Mbytes of
    > RAM; that is the approximate amount of RAM that Win2K needs to run
    > without swapping to the hard drive...
    > Get rid of RAM pigs (Win2K or WinXP) and try Win95 or Win98SE.

    Thats a load of crap, XP runs perfectly on a P2 266-M with 160Mb RAM and 4Gb
    HDD

    hamman

    Hamman, May 30, 2004
  7. JeffJ

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Hamman" <> wrote in

    > "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    >> Duane Arnold wrote:
    >> >
    >> > "JeffJ" <> wrote in

    >> > You can wipe it out. I got an old Toshiba test laptop with Win 2k
    >> > with 128 and 300 MHz 4 gig HD. I get pissed when I double-click the
    >> > wrong thing as it takes forever for something to start. It's just a
    >> > about door stop material to me now. :)
    >> >
    >> > Duane :)

    >> The reason why it is so slow, is that you do not have 350+Mbytes of
    >> RAM; that is the approximate amount of RAM that Win2K needs to run
    >> without swapping to the hard drive...
    >> Get rid of RAM pigs (Win2K or WinXP) and try Win95 or Win98SE.

    > Thats a load of crap, XP runs perfectly on a P2 266-M with 160Mb RAM
    > and 4Gb HDD
    >
    > hamman

    Yes, it may run perfect but it has to be slow as molasses. My Toshiba
    test machine is still viable and I just might take it to its max on
    memory. I'll have to go to Crucial and check out the possibilities. The
    more memory the faster it will go as the O/S will have some room.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, May 30, 2004
  8. JeffJ

    Thor Guest

    "Hamman" <> wrote in message

    > "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    > > Duane Arnold wrote:
    > > >
    > > > "JeffJ" <> wrote in

    cannot

    but

    drive

    do

    > > > You can wipe it out. I got an old Toshiba test laptop with Win 2k with
    > > > 128 and 300 MHz 4 gig HD. I get pissed when I double-click the wrong
    > > > thing as it takes forever for something to start. It's just a about

    door
    > > > stop material to me now. :)
    > > >
    > > > Duane :)

    > > The reason why it is so slow, is that you do not have 350+Mbytes of
    > > RAM; that is the approximate amount of RAM that Win2K needs to run
    > > without swapping to the hard drive...
    > > Get rid of RAM pigs (Win2K or WinXP) and try Win95 or Win98SE.

    > Thats a load of crap, XP runs perfectly on a P2 266-M with 160Mb RAM and

    4Gb
    > HDD

    "perfectly" in this case is a subjective term. I wouldn't consider it to run
    "perfectly" on stats like those. It would be excruciatingly slow for me. Far
    from my estimation of "perfect".

    Thor, May 30, 2004
  9. JeffJ

    JeffJ Guest

    Since no one has answered my question. I will ask again. WITHOUT HAVING TO
    REFORMAT how can I combine drive C: and D: back into one single drive? Speed
    here is not an issue. I have 2 laptops and 2 desktops with plenty of speed
    on a wireless network. I dont care about that. I just need an answer to the
    original question. Thanks in advance.

    JeffJ, May 30, 2004
  10. JeffJ

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "JeffJ" <> wrote in

    > I have 2 laptops and 2 desktops with plenty of speed
    > on a wireless network. I dont care about that. I just need an answer
    > to the original question. Thanks in advance.

    You want to freely recombine two partitions without destroying their data.
    If you can't google to find a program that can do it (I've never seen a
    freeby that merges NTFS partitions), then you have to partition and format
    again. People did answer your question, you just didn't like the answer.

    Jim Berwick, May 30, 2004
  11. JeffJ

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "JeffJ" <> wrote in

    > Since no one has answered my question. I will ask again. WITHOUT
    > HAVING TO REFORMAT how can I combine drive C: and D: back into one
    > single drive? Speed here is not an issue. I have 2 laptops and 2
    > desktops with plenty of speed on a wireless network. I dont care about
    > that. I just need an answer to the original question. Thanks in
    > advance.

    You options seem limited, PM or reformat. :)

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, May 30, 2004
  12. JeffJ

    JeffJ Guest

    OK. The format is FAT32 not NTFS. I suppose I am going to use Partition
    magic

    JeffJ, May 30, 2004
  13. JeffJ

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "JeffJ" <> wrote in news:Alpuc.18298$mQ4.15375
    @fe2.texas.rr.com:

    > OK. The format is FAT32 not NTFS. I suppose I am going to use Partition
    > magic

    You can try http://zeleps.com/ and get the Partition Resizer (freeware).
    I've used it several times with no bad results. Have a backup of important
    stuff handy.

    Jim Berwick, May 30, 2004
  14. JeffJ

    Michael-NC Guest

    "JeffJ" <> wrote in message
    > OK. The format is FAT32 not NTFS. I suppose I am going to use Partition
    > magic

    I browsed here:
    http://www.nonags.com/

    And found plenty of +Free+ partition utilities.

    Here's one:
    http://zeleps.com/

    Use at your own risk of course but even PM can fark a drive...

    Michael-NC, May 30, 2004
  15. JeffJ

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Michael-NC" <> wrote in news:QTruc.6542$2o.266040
    @twister.southeast.rr.com:

    > Use at your own risk of course but even PM can fark a drive...

    Happened to me. I used it to merge two partitions on my laptop (stupid ass
    Sony gives me a 10 and a 20 instead of a single 30). Of course, I reboot
    and get something like Could not find file ntldr or something, and of
    course, it is a reinstall for me after that. Not only did it mess up the
    boot sector, the boot files, it also completely destroyed everything on the
    second partition. Nothing important, though.

    Jim Berwick, May 30, 2004
  16. JeffJ

    Thor Guest

    > "Michael-NC" <> wrote in news:QTruc.6542$2o.266040
    > @twister.southeast.rr.com:
    >
    > > Use at your own risk of course but even PM can fark a drive...

    > Happened to me. I used it to merge two partitions on my laptop (stupid

    ass
    > Sony gives me a 10 and a 20 instead of a single 30).

    Think that's a hoot? I had to repartition a customer's VAIO drive because
    Sony fucked up and made his logical C: drive <10GB and his logical D: drive
    (which is for the factory system recovery data) used the remainder of the
    60GB harddrive. They set it up bass-ackwards.

    Thor, May 31, 2004
  17. JeffJ

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in news::

    > Think that's a hoot? I had to repartition a customer's VAIO drive
    > because Sony fucked up and made his logical C: drive <10GB and his
    > logical D: drive (which is for the factory system recovery data) used
    > the remainder of the 60GB harddrive. They set it up bass-ackwards.

    Come to think of it, my recovery stuff (like, reinstallation junk) was also
    on my drive D:, which was the larger of the two. As much as I like the
    hardware in my viao, I think it's possibly the worst software package and
    configuration on the market.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    DeMoN LaG, May 31, 2004
  18. JeffJ

    Michael-NC Guest

    Hell, even Western Digital's Data Lifeguard SW can be flakey. It
    misidentified a drive on a system and I ended up formatting a drive with
    60GB's of data on it. Luckily, I was able to recover all of it but I was
    PO'ed when the machine rebooted and my second drive wasn't there. A good
    lesson when dealing with formatting and partitioning tools is to unplug
    drives you're not working with to keep then out of the line of fire, so to
    speak...

    Michael-NC, May 31, 2004