    the box as a "toy" and install an x64 version on it. Anyone here
    familiar with dual Opeterons? Are those dual 2.2 Ghz worth a try?

    John
    John John (MVP), Jun 24, 2008

  2. Take it. Even if they're older Opterons, you'll have a very nice machine
    indeed.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 24, 2008

  3. That's all the convincing I need. Thanks, Charlie.

    John

    John John (MVP), Jun 24, 2008
  4. And if you don't like it I know how to do UPS labels on the computer I do
    have. :p

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 24, 2008
  5. Wait in line, Colin. I'll take first dibs. ;)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 25, 2008
  6. John John (MVP)

    Jim Guest

    On Jun 24, 7:58 am, "John John (MVP)" <> wrote:
    > I'm being offered a Dual Opteron 2.2Ghz box at about $300.  The machine
    > comes with a SCSI controller/drive and with 3 GB RAM, but is capable of
    > handling up to 16GB.  The machine is in good working condition and I'm
    > thinking that at $300 it's almost a giveaway.  I'm thinking I may get
    > the box as a "toy" and install an x64 version on it.  Anyone here
    > familiar with dual Opeterons?  Are those dual 2.2 Ghz worth a try?
    >
    > John

    I think you'll have a *blast!* I paid more than $6,000.00 for mine,
    and I have slower Opterons. I ran x64 for three years and now I have
    switched to Vista 64-bit. These are extremely versitile machines.
    (I'm sorry to hear mine has depreciated so much! :-(

    Jim
    Jim, Jun 25, 2008
  7. Jim wrote:

    > On Jun 24, 7:58 am, "John John (MVP)" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I'm being offered a Dual Opteron 2.2Ghz box at about $300. The machine
    >>comes with a SCSI controller/drive and with 3 GB RAM, but is capable of
    >>handling up to 16GB. The machine is in good working condition and I'm
    >>thinking that at $300 it's almost a giveaway. I'm thinking I may get
    >>the box as a "toy" and install an x64 version on it. Anyone here
    >>familiar with dual Opeterons? Are those dual 2.2 Ghz worth a try?
    >>
    >>John

    > I think you'll have a *blast!* I paid more than $6,000.00 for mine,
    > and I have slower Opterons. I ran x64 for three years and now I have
    > switched to Vista 64-bit. These are extremely versitile machines.
    > (I'm sorry to hear mine has depreciated so much! :-(

    I guess Colin shouldn't bother making a UPS label, I don't think that I
    will be needing one ;-) Yes, it's almost unbelievable how quickly
    computers lose their value, sometime ago I came to the conclusion that
    for a lot of folks paying $200-$300 for a used but powerful workstation
    may be as good a choice as buying a new computer.

    John
    John John (MVP), Jun 25, 2008
  8. John John (MVP)

    Bender Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote in message
    > On Jun 24, 7:58 am, "John John (MVP)" <> wrote:
    >> I'm being offered a Dual Opteron 2.2Ghz box at about $300. The machine
    >> comes with a SCSI controller/drive and with 3 GB RAM, but is capable of
    >> handling up to 16GB. The machine is in good working condition and I'm
    >> thinking that at $300 it's almost a giveaway. I'm thinking I may get
    >> the box as a "toy" and install an x64 version on it. Anyone here
    >> familiar with dual Opeterons? Are those dual 2.2 Ghz worth a try?
    >>
    >> John

    > I think you'll have a *blast!* I paid more than $6,000.00 for mine,
    > and I have slower Opterons. I ran x64 for three years and now I have
    > switched to Vista 64-bit. These are extremely versitile machines.
    > (I'm sorry to hear mine has depreciated so much! :-(
    >
    > Jim

    When adjusted for inflation, I paid close to $6,000 for my 50 MHz 486
    computer.
    Bender, Jun 26, 2008