    the same time?

    Thanks for help
    Dan

    Dan T, Jan 10, 2004

  2. Dan T

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Dan T" <> wrote in
    news:btou1b$3ie$:

    > Hi all, is there such a thing as a dual network card thats got two
    > RJ45 sockets on it???, i don't really want to get involved with
    > routers because a) everything works fine as it is, and b) i've got
    > crossover cables, and don't really want to have to chop the ends off
    > and re-wire them.
    >
    > Either that or has anyone ever had any problems running 2 network
    > cards at the same time?
    >
    > Thanks for help
    > Dan

    Well,

    If you're going to do ICS properly, then you'll need two NIC's on the
    gateway machine that's providing the WAN/LAN connections.

    One NIC that is connected to the modem the WAN/Internet facing NIC on the
    gateway machine.

    The second NIC facing the LAN side on the gateway machine where a stand
    alone hub or switch is connected to the NIC allowing multiple machines to
    get a DHCP IP from the gateway machine. Or a cross over cable is used to
    connect a single machine to the NIC of the gateway machine to get a DHCP IP
    from it.

    If the gateway machine is an NT based O/S, then I do hope you'll be
    configuring the O/S properly so that it's not a sitting *duck* out there on
    the Internet.

    http://www.uksecurityonline.com/index5.php

    There are links on securing Win2k, XP etc.

    You may want to look into IPsec to supplement the host based FW that you
    should have on the gateway machine.

    the basics

    http://www.petri.co.il/ipsec_block_ping.htm

    more detail on the how to(s)

    http://lists.gpick.com/pages/IP_Security_(IPSec).htm

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jan 10, 2004

  3. Dan T

    Brad Guest

    Now doesn't a router seem so much easier.

    Brad, Jan 10, 2004
  4. Dan T

    Bill Nathan Guest

    Router are hella easy. Just plug everything in and internet works, and run
    Network Setup Wizard and file/printer sharing works. Its not tha hard.

    Bill Nathan, Jan 10, 2004
  5. Dan T

    Dan T Guest

    I've got a USB modem, so i don't have a network card for WAN. Forgot that
    loads of people already use ICS for RJ45 modems, and so already use 2
    network cards with no prob. Network card No.1 here i come!

    Dan T, Jan 11, 2004
  6. Dan T

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Dan T" <> wrote in

    > I've got a USB modem, so i don't have a network card for WAN. Forgot
    > that loads of people already use ICS for RJ45 modems, and so already
    > use 2 network cards with no prob. Network card No.1 here i come!

    Yeah that's true. There are loads of people out there on the Internet
    with a gateway Windows O/S machine not properly configured to be a
    gateway machine. And you can bet they have been compromised and/or are
    being *hacked* to death and don't even know it.

    Maybe, you need to implement a Bastion Host machine, since the message of
    the router is not being recognized. <g>

    http://www.sans.org/resources/idfaq/bastion.php

    Hell, TigerDirect had a D-link NAT router on sale for $20.

    One let's the NAT router or a FW appliance protect the network and not a
    improperly configured Windows O/S gateway machine.

    http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Hidden_Backdoors_Trojan_Horses_and
    _Rootkit_Tools_in_a_Windows_Environment.html

    And don't think that your setup is so secure that it cannot happen to
    you, because they have to practice on someone before moving to bigger
    targets. <g>

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jan 11, 2004