    Any advice?

    Thanks
    Amy.
    Amy L., Dec 29, 2003

  2. Amy L.

    shope Guest

    "Amy L." <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have a server that I would like to use two intel nic's in and have
    > one card go to one switch (4506) and the other card go to the other
    > switch (4506). The network cards in the server will be teamed (i.e.
    > one IP address across both nic's).

    i have built several nets using multiple links to servers - but i do the
    network plumbing not all that complicated server stuff....

    you need to be careful as there and lots of different ways to implement this
    and they have different side effects on throughput, resilience and alter the
    network requirements.

    I suggest you look for a white paper @ Intel (or possibly the driver
    writer - some of these arrangements use server drivers rather than NIC
    teaming drivers) which describes what you are trying to achieve and work
    from that.

    stuff below assumes you only want IP access to the server

    > Is there any switch based configuration that is done in this
    > configuration?

    You want the 2 server NICs to appear in the same subnet. Try to make sure
    that a network fault cant "split" this subnet into 2 pieces, or when it does
    you lose access to the server in various exotic ways that are difficult to
    debug.

    I ask this because it appears as if the intel cards
    > can be set to do spanning tree.

    This means the server is bridging between the NICs - you dont want that as
    it will reduce throughput rather than increase it.

    you want the 2 NICs to act as a single IP interface, and no other
    protocols - not bridging and not spanning tree.

    --
    Regards

    shope, Dec 30, 2003

  3. Amy,

    I've had a quick look at Intels site and located the relevant document you
    should read. The URL is
    http://support.intel.com/support/network/adapter/1000/guides/server/index.htm

    The document indicates that there six methods that you can configure adpater
    teaming (two or more adpaters working together). These include:

    a.. Adapter Fault Tolerance (AFT) - provides automatic redundancy for your
    server's network connection. If the primary adapter fails, the secondary
    adapter takes over. Adapter Fault Tolerance supports two to eight adapters
    per team. This teaming mode works with any hub or switch, and all team
    members must be connected to the same device.

    b.. Switch Fault Tolerance (SFT) - provides a failover relationship
    between two adapters when each adapter is connected to a separate switch.
    Switch Fault Tolerance supports two adapters per team. Spanning Tree
    Protocol (STP) must be enabled when you create a team in SFT mode. SFT is
    only available on computers running Windows NT* 4.0, Windows* XP, and
    Windows 2000. This teaming mode works with any switch.

    c.. Adaptive Load Balancing (ALB) - provides load balancing of transmit
    traffic and adapter fault tolerance. In Windows operating systems, you can
    also enable or disable receive load balancing (RLB) in ALB teams. This
    teaming mode works with any switch.

    d.. FEC*/Link Aggregation/802.3ad: static mode - provides increased
    transmission and reception throughput in a team of two to eight adapters
    operating at 100 Mbps. This mode also includes adapter fault tolerance and
    load balancing (only routed protocols). This teaming mode requires a switch
    with Intel's Link Aggregation or Cisco's FEC capability.

    e.. GEC/Link Aggregation/802.3ad: static mode - is the gigabit extension
    of the FEC/Link Aggregation/802.3ad: static mode. All team members must
    operate at gigabit speeds.

    f.. IEEE 802.3ad: dynamic mode - creates one or more teams using dynamic
    Link Aggregation with mixed-speed adapters. Like the static Link Aggregation
    modes, Dynamic 802.3ad teams increase transmission and reception throughput
    and provide fault tolerance. This teaming mode requires a switch that fully
    supports the IEEE 802.3ad standard.

    Goodluck,

    Scott.

    scott enwright, Dec 31, 2003
  4. Amy L.

    Amy L. Guest

    Thanks Scott,

    This was exactly what I was looking for.

    Amy,

    Amy L., Jan 2, 2004