Dual Monitors

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Stuart, Jan 2, 2006.

  1. Stuart

    Stuart Guest

    I am intending setting up my computer to use dual monitors, and I am hoping
    to get some advise from this group.

    My machine is a relatively new PC, 3ghz 512ram 160hd. using XP home
    The current Graphics card seems to be part of the mother board ie not a
    traditional card plugged into a pci slot! (the display adaptor is a ATI
    Radeon xpress 200)

    I have spare pci slots + another long black port thingy (see following
    image)
    http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/misc/ports.jpg

    The second monitor will only be used to display a VBA editor (i do a lot of
    programming in excel) Therefor I do not need a fancy card for the second
    monitor (anything more advanced than black and white will do)

    I do know that there are purpose made Dual head graphics cards, If I got one
    of those would I just plug it into a slot and run the driver.... is it quite
    that simple? What would happen to the current graphics card, if it is part
    of the motherboard I couldn't remove it!

    Would any basic graphics card do, ie would it run quite happily alongside
    the current graphics card, or could their be confict issues?

    stuart

    Stuart, Jan 2, 2006

    Richard Watson, Jan 3, 2006

  3. Stuart

    Mitch Guest

    In article <dpcenr$ns9$>, Stuart <>
    wrote:

    > I have spare pci slots + another long black port thingy (see following
    > image)
    > http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/misc/ports.jpg
    >
    > The second monitor will only be used to display a VBA editor (i do a lot of
    > programming in excel) Therefor I do not need a fancy card for the second
    > monitor (anything more advanced than black and white will do)
    >

    > I do know that there are purpose made Dual head graphics cards, If I got one
    > of those would I just plug it into a slot and run the driver.... is it quite
    > that simple? What would happen to the current graphics card, if it is part
    > of the motherboard I couldn't remove it!
    >
    > Would any basic graphics card do, ie would it run quite happily alongside
    > the current graphics card, or could their be confict issues?

    I don't think you need anythiing in particular.
    Looks like the black slot is probably AGP; one of the types of video
    cards. The others are PCI. You can choose either one, since you don't
    have any particular high-end needs.
    You should be able to find some great deals; video cards go on sale in
    many larger stores every day.
    You certainly don't need a dual-head card, but there is no reason to
    avoid that, either.

    Wait for replies about potential conflicting drivers; I don't know how
    likely that is.

    Mitch, Jan 3, 2006
  4. Stuart

    Scraggy Guest

    Stuart wrote:
    > I am intending setting up my computer to use dual monitors, and I am
    > hoping to get some advise from this group.
    >
    > My machine is a relatively new PC, 3ghz 512ram 160hd. using XP home
    > The current Graphics card seems to be part of the mother board ie not
    > a traditional card plugged into a pci slot! (the display adaptor is a
    > ATI Radeon xpress 200)
    >
    > I have spare pci slots + another long black port thingy (see following
    > image)
    > http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/misc/ports.jpg
    >
    > The second monitor will only be used to display a VBA editor (i do a
    > lot of programming in excel) Therefor I do not need a fancy card for
    > the second monitor (anything more advanced than black and white will
    > do)
    >
    > I do know that there are purpose made Dual head graphics cards, If I
    > got one of those would I just plug it into a slot and run the
    > driver.... is it quite that simple? What would happen to the current
    > graphics card, if it is part of the motherboard I couldn't remove it!
    >
    > Would any basic graphics card do, ie would it run quite happily
    > alongside the current graphics card, or could their be confict issues?
    >

    > stuart

    My advice would be to get dual-out card. While there is nothing wrong with
    going the two card route IME it is both easier and more convenient to use
    something designed to do the job.

    members. Groucho Marx

    Scraggy, Jan 3, 2006