Dual monitors

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Stuart, Dec 20, 2005.

  1. Stuart

    Stuart Guest

    I would like to convert my machine to utilise Dual Monitors.

    Presumably I need a dual Monitor Video Card.

    Any advise, suggestions would be very welcome, what do I nned to know?

    My machine is only a few months old, so, sort of up to date!
     
    Stuart, Dec 20, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Stuart

    Donald Guest

    Do you see two places on card to plug?
    on my GForce there's a digital an a analog works great for me
    "Stuart" <> wrote in message
    news:do7i3r$mev$...
    >I would like to convert my machine to utilise Dual Monitors.
    >
    > Presumably I need a dual Monitor Video Card.
    >
    > Any advise, suggestions would be very welcome, what do I nned to know?
    >
    > My machine is only a few months old, so, sort of up to date!
    >
    >
    >
     
    Donald, Dec 20, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Stuart

    philo Guest

    "Stuart" <> wrote in message
    news:do7i3r$mev$...
    >I would like to convert my machine to utilise Dual Monitors.
    >
    > Presumably I need a dual Monitor Video Card.
    >
    >

    Or a 2nd video card
     
    philo, Dec 20, 2005
    #3
  4. Stuart

    Mitch Guest

    In article <do7i3r$mev$>, Stuart <>
    wrote:

    > I would like to convert my machine to utilise Dual Monitors.
    >
    > Presumably I need a dual Monitor Video Card.
    >
    > Any advise, suggestions would be very welcome, what do I nned to know?
    >
    > My machine is only a few months old, so, sort of up to date!
    >
    >
    >


    No, you merely need another video card. You don't have to have one that
    supports two monitors.
    You could use two cards that each support one monitor, too.
    And I suspect you can find a better price for that.
     
    Mitch, Dec 20, 2005
    #4
  5. Stuart

    Don Guest

    What do stores do when they have 15 or so monitors on the shelf for sale?i
    see a multiplug with a bunch of white wires coming out of it....whats that?
    "Stuart" <> wrote in message
    news:do7i3r$mev$...
    >I would like to convert my machine to utilise Dual Monitors.
    >
    > Presumably I need a dual Monitor Video Card.
    >
    > Any advise, suggestions would be very welcome, what do I nned to know?
    >
    > My machine is only a few months old, so, sort of up to date!
    >
    >
    >
     
    Don, Dec 20, 2005
    #5
  6. Don wrote:
    > What do stores do when they have 15 or so monitors on the shelf for sale?i
    > see a multiplug with a bunch of white wires coming out of it....whats that?


    I don't think the OP is wanting two monitors displaying the same thing.
    Dual monitors is intended for displaying more stuff - extending the
    desktop, not the same stuff twice. As an example, look at this:
    http://www.digitaltigers.com/zenview.shtml
     
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Dec 20, 2005
    #6
  7. Stuart

    Stuart Guest

    "Mitch" <> wrote in message
    news:191220051615077164%...
    > In article <do7i3r$mev$>, Stuart <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I would like to convert my machine to utilise Dual Monitors.
    >>
    >> Presumably I need a dual Monitor Video Card.
    >>
    >> Any advise, suggestions would be very welcome, what do I nned to know?
    >>
    >> My machine is only a few months old, so, sort of up to date!
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >
    > No, you merely need another video card. You don't have to have one that
    > supports two monitors.
    > You could use two cards that each support one monitor, too.
    > And I suspect you can find a better price for that.


    What is involved in setting up two video cards on the same machine, does XP
    automattically support this?

    Since I am only going to be using the second monitor to hold a VB editor
    (graphically this is just a text file) will any El Cheapo graphics card off
    ebay that will plug into a pci slot do?
     
    Stuart, Dec 20, 2005
    #7
  8. Stuart

    Mitch Guest

    In article <do9t2s$n3f$>, Stuart <>
    wrote:

    > What is involved in setting up two video cards on the same machine, does XP
    > automattically support this?

    Well, it's possible. Mac OS has always supported it automatically, but
    that doesn't tell you much. It certainly shouldn't be much more than a
    step or two. Wait for comments about how this is activated.

    > Since I am only going to be using the second monitor to hold a VB editor
    > (graphically this is just a text file) will any El Cheapo graphics card off
    > ebay that will plug into a pci slot do?


    That's the only hardware requirement, as long as PCI is the slot type.
    If you have a free AGP slot, you'll want that type. If it's a newer
    machine, you may want PCI X or PCI Express.
    Keep in mind that using two drivers (for two different kinds of cards
    or processor types) can still cause OS conflicts. I can't speak to
    that; you'll have to wait for more comments.
     
    Mitch, Dec 20, 2005
    #8
  9. Stuart

    Guest

    Mitch wrote:
    > In article <do9t2s$n3f$>, Stuart <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > What is involved in setting up two video cards on the same machine, does XP
    > > automattically support this?

    > Well, it's possible. Mac OS has always supported it automatically, but
    > that doesn't tell you much. It certainly shouldn't be much more than a
    > step or two. Wait for comments about how this is activated.
    >
    > > Since I am only going to be using the second monitor to hold a VB editor
    > > (graphically this is just a text file) will any El Cheapo graphics card off
    > > ebay that will plug into a pci slot do?

    >
    > That's the only hardware requirement, as long as PCI is the slot type.
    > If you have a free AGP slot, you'll want that type. If it's a newer
    > machine, you may want PCI X or PCI Express.
    > Keep in mind that using two drivers (for two different kinds of cards
    > or processor types) can still cause OS conflicts. I can't speak to
    > that; you'll have to wait for more comments.


    how is he going to to control what is displayed on one screen and what
    is displayed on another?



    note- I have 2 monitors, but the same displayed on both. I just got a
    VGA splitter cable from ebay. Obviosuly that's not what he wants
    though.
     
    , Dec 21, 2005
    #9
  10. Stuart

    Paul_B Guest

    On 21 Dec 2005 07:55:03 -0800, wrote:

    > Mitch wrote:
    >> In article <do9t2s$n3f$>, Stuart <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> What is involved in setting up two video cards on the same machine, does XP
    >>> automattically support this?

    >> Well, it's possible. Mac OS has always supported it automatically, but
    >> that doesn't tell you much. It certainly shouldn't be much more than a
    >> step or two. Wait for comments about how this is activated.
    >>
    >>> Since I am only going to be using the second monitor to hold a VB editor
    >>> (graphically this is just a text file) will any El Cheapo graphics card off
    >>> ebay that will plug into a pci slot do?

    >>
    >> That's the only hardware requirement, as long as PCI is the slot type.
    >> If you have a free AGP slot, you'll want that type. If it's a newer
    >> machine, you may want PCI X or PCI Express.
    >> Keep in mind that using two drivers (for two different kinds of cards
    >> or processor types) can still cause OS conflicts. I can't speak to
    >> that; you'll have to wait for more comments.

    >
    > how is he going to to control what is displayed on one screen and what
    > is displayed on another?



    Windows will automatically handle multimonitor support. Firmware
    desktop management adds features.

    Paul
     
    Paul_B, Dec 21, 2005
    #10
  11. Stuart

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    > how is he going to to control what is displayed on one screen and what
    > is displayed on another?


    That is exactly what you set in the OS display properties.
    What resolution for each, relative position and which is primary.

    > note- I have 2 monitors, but the same displayed on both. I just got a
    > VGA splitter cable from ebay. Obviosuly that's not what he wants
    > though.

    That's called mirroring, and it can be useful, but you're right,
    probably not what the OP is looking for.
     
    Mitch, Dec 21, 2005
    #11
  12. Stuart

    Guest

    Don wrote:
    > What do stores do when they have 15 or so monitors on the shelf for sale?i
    > see a multiplug with a bunch of white wires coming out of it....whats that?


    are they all displaying the same thing?

    VGA Splitter?
    so one computer, many screens plugged in

    similar to a Reverse KVM Switch that allows many keybs mouse and
    monitors plugged in.


    as oppose to a KVM splitter - many comps one screen/keyb/mouse
     
    , Dec 21, 2005
    #12
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Windwatcher

    Mozilla & dual monitors

    Windwatcher, Aug 29, 2004, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    639
    Windwatcher
    Aug 29, 2004
  2. Gazzer

    Problem getting dual monitors to work

    Gazzer, Aug 23, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    2,464
    Mike Walker
    Aug 23, 2003
  3. Martin

    Re: Are LCD Monitors Brigter than CRT Monitors

    Martin, Sep 8, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    571
    Martin
    Sep 8, 2004
  4. Richard
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    490
    Richard
    Feb 4, 2007
  5. Paul
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    738
Loading...

Share This Page