Dual Monitors

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Steeeeam, Apr 29, 2005.

  1. Steeeeam

    Steeeeam Guest

    Hi all,

    I have acquired a second monitor and would like to use it to run dual
    screens from one machine.

    I've done some research to try and find out a decent way of doing this, but
    the more I look the more possibilities there seem to be.

    I have come to the conclusion that I don't have to take out my current video
    card and replace it with a dual-header, but that I can get another PCI card
    and run the second monitor from that.
    Is that correct? If so, can anyone recommend a decent (but not too
    expensive) card and suggest any pitfalls I should watch out for?

    However, if I've f*cked this right up, please don't hesitate to let me
    know....I can take the criticism.

    I have a Dell Dimension running XP home, if that has any bearing on it.

    Cheers
    Steeeeam, Apr 29, 2005

  2. Steeeeam

    Noozer Guest

    "Steeeeam" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have acquired a second monitor and would like to use it to run dual
    > screens from one machine.
    >
    > I've done some research to try and find out a decent way of doing this,
    > but the more I look the more possibilities there seem to be.
    >
    > I have come to the conclusion that I don't have to take out my current
    > video card and replace it with a dual-header, but that I can get another
    > PCI card and run the second monitor from that.
    > Is that correct? If so, can anyone recommend a decent (but not too
    > expensive) card and suggest any pitfalls I should watch out for?
    >
    > However, if I've f*cked this right up, please don't hesitate to let me
    > know....I can take the criticism.

    It is definately possible, but actually finding a PCI video card at a
    reasonable price that will also work as a secondary video card can be a real
    pain in the ass...

    You'd probably find it easier to buy a new AGP card that will do two
    monitors at once.
    Noozer, Apr 29, 2005

  3. Steeeeam

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Steeeeam" <> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I have acquired a second monitor and would like to use it to run dual
    >screens from one machine.
    >
    >I've done some research to try and find out a decent way of doing this, but
    >the more I look the more possibilities there seem to be.
    >
    >I have come to the conclusion that I don't have to take out my current video
    >card and replace it with a dual-header, but that I can get another PCI card
    >and run the second monitor from that.
    >Is that correct? If so, can anyone recommend a decent (but not too
    >expensive) card and suggest any pitfalls I should watch out for?
    >
    >However, if I've f*cked this right up, please don't hesitate to let me
    >know....I can take the criticism.
    >
    >I have a Dell Dimension running XP home, if that has any bearing on it.
    >
    >Cheers

    PCI bus video cards are hard to find, as most stores won't stock them
    because of very low demand.

    For the same price, or maybe even less, than you will pay for a PCI
    bus video card you can purchase an Sapphire (ATI Based) AGP video card
    with both DVI and VGA outputs. With that plus a $5 DVI to VGA adapter
    you are all set to run two monitors.

    nVidia also makes cards with both VGA and DVI outputs but the last one
    that I worked with (in a Dell system) would not configure for two
    monitors.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --