Dual Monitors - video card question

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by SomebodyElse, May 12, 2004.

  1. SomebodyElse

    SomebodyElse Guest

    At work I need (want?) a dual monitor setup.

    The computer I'm using has onboard video. I'm using WinXP Pro. Can I
    simply put in a video card and use both the video card AND the onboard,
    or do I need a dual output video card? Or two separate video cards?

    What do I need to buy?
    I have one LOW PROFILE agp slot, and a few spare pci slots.

    What I would like is two monitors with a decent resolution and decent
    refresh rate. I'm not terribly sure how much of this is dependent on the
    monitor or the video card.

    By 'decent refresh rate' I mean 85 Hertz absolute minimum. Anything less
    gives me migraines.

    Currently, using the onboard video, I can get 1024*768 resolution
    without stooping to migraine inducing refresh rates. I'd like this
    resolution for one monitor (minimum), and at least 1280*1024 (again,
    without migraine inducing refresh rates) for the other.

    How much of this is dependent on the monitor, and how much is dependent
    on the video card?

    I'm not doing anything at all that is graphic intensive.

    I'm looking at an
    Albatron 64MB GeForce4 MX-440 TV Out - Low Profile
    (http://pcu.co.nz/store/product.php?product=1114)
    for $99
    Is this likely to do the job for what I want, or do I need something
    better/different?

    Any advice much appreciated.

    Cheers
    Scott

    SomebodyElse, May 12, 2004

  2. SomebodyElse

    Dave Taylor Guest

    SomebodyElse <> wrote in news:yenoc.1496$FN.162767
    @news02.tsnz.net:

    > How much of this is dependent on the monitor, and how much is dependent
    > on the video card?

    Your monitor has a maximum refresh rate it can do per resolution. Pick a
    card that can drive it at that or higher resolution. Most cards can go
    faster than monitors can show, and newer monitors will shutdown to protect
    themselves. You do not want to push a high refresh into an old monitor.
    It will fry it.
    Bottom line is the video card is in charge, and the monitor follows.
    If you already have two monitors what are they?
    You also have another issue here. On board video sometimes (almost all
    the time) cannot be used at the same time as an add in AGP video card
    because the onboard is actually hooked into the AGP. Look for a decent PCI
    video card, and then you could have two monitors with no trouble at all,
    one of them hooked in to the onboard. Does this AGP card you are looking
    have the capability of driving two monitors by itself? I doubt it at that
    price.

    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, May 12, 2004

  3. SomebodyElse

    SomebodyElse Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:

    > SomebodyElse <> wrote in news:yenoc.1496$FN.162767
    > @news02.tsnz.net:
    >

    >>How much of this is dependent on the monitor, and how much is dependent
    >>on the video card?

    > Your monitor has a maximum refresh rate it can do per resolution. Pick a
    > card that can drive it at that or higher resolution. Most cards can go
    > faster than monitors can show, and newer monitors will shutdown to protect
    > themselves. You do not want to push a high refresh into an old monitor.
    > It will fry it.
    > Bottom line is the video card is in charge, and the monitor follows.
    > If you already have two monitors what are they?

    I don't have two monitors at the moment, but we have heaps of spare
    monitors about the place. I don't know any specifics at the moment 'cos
    I'm at home, but they don't look like anything terribly fantastic.

    > You also have another issue here. On board video sometimes (almost all
    > the time) cannot be used at the same time as an add in AGP video card
    > because the onboard is actually hooked into the AGP.

    That's what I was wondering... I didn't think it'd work like that

    > Look for a decent PCI
    > video card, and then you could have two monitors with no trouble at all,
    > one of them hooked in to the onboard.

    Cool. Ta. I thought I'd need a pci card. Cheers.

    Does this AGP card you are looking
    > have the capability of driving two monitors by itself?

    Nope. I was wondering if the onboard would work alongside it. It would
    appear not.

    > I doubt it at that
    > price.
    >
    > Ciao, Dave

    So basically I need either a dual output video card (agp or pci), or a
    pci video card to work in tandem with the onboard video?

    Thanks a lot
    - Scott

    SomebodyElse, May 12, 2004
  4. SomebodyElse

    Dave Taylor Guest

    SomebodyElse <> wrote in news:Wpooc.1514$FN.165642
    @news02.tsnz.net:

    > So basically I need either a dual output video card (agp or pci), or a
    > pci video card to work in tandem with the onboard video?
    >
    > Thanks a lot
    > - Scott

    Yup.

    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, May 12, 2004
  5. SomebodyElse

    Allistar Guest

    SomebodyElse wrote:

    > At work I need (want?) a dual monitor setup.
    >
    > The computer I'm using has onboard video. I'm using WinXP Pro. Can I
    > simply put in a video card and use both the video card AND the onboard,
    > or do I need a dual output video card? Or two separate video cards?

    I've never used XP before, but in my experience with two video cards the
    video card itself needs to support dual setup. A card with two outputs (I
    use an Nvidia Ti4200 on my Linux computer) will be easier.

    I one have an old motherboard that needed my two separate cards (S3Virge GX
    at the time) plugged into particular PCI slots for both cards to be
    recognised by the OS (W98 at the time). It was odd, put one of the cards in
    a different PCI slot and it was no longer recognised.

    > What do I need to buy?
    > I have one LOW PROFILE agp slot, and a few spare pci slots.

    Having a low profile slot will require a more expensive (and possibly harder
    to get) card.

    > What I would like is two monitors with a decent resolution and decent
    > refresh rate. I'm not terribly sure how much of this is dependent on the
    > monitor or the video card.

    Both I would say.

    You coukld always get two LCDs, easier on the eyes (but no so easy on the
    wallet).

    > By 'decent refresh rate' I mean 85 Hertz absolute minimum. Anything less
    > gives me migraines.
    >
    > Currently, using the onboard video, I can get 1024*768 resolution
    > without stooping to migraine inducing refresh rates. I'd like this
    > resolution for one monitor (minimum), and at least 1280*1024 (again,
    > without migraine inducing refresh rates) for the other.
    >
    > How much of this is dependent on the monitor, and how much is dependent
    > on the video card?
    >
    > I'm not doing anything at all that is graphic intensive.
    >
    > I'm looking at an
    > Albatron 64MB GeForce4 MX-440 TV Out - Low Profile
    > (http://pcu.co.nz/store/product.php?product=1114)
    > for $99
    > Is this likely to do the job for what I want, or do I need something
    > better/different?

    See if you can find a card that has two outputs, most that I have seen have
    a VGA and DVI output. You can get a simple adapter to plug a VGA cord into
    the DVI port.

    > Any advice much appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Scott

    Allistar.

    Allistar, May 12, 2004
  6. SomebodyElse

    gimp Guest

    there are a couple of low profile dual-head nVidia quadro cards that
    would do the job.... downside: say goodbye to ur $$$ :)

    or
    for the 3D variants the 550 or 580XGL... can't find a link for them
    right now but they're about the same price.

    gimp, May 13, 2004
  7. SomebodyElse

    Dodger Guest

    "SomebodyElse" <> wrote in message
    > At work I need (want?) a dual monitor setup.
    >
    > The computer I'm using has onboard video. I'm using WinXP Pro. Can I
    > simply put in a video card and use both the video card AND the onboard,
    > or do I need a dual output video card? Or two separate video cards?
    >
    > What do I need to buy?
    > I have one LOW PROFILE agp slot, and a few spare pci slots.
    >
    > What I would like is two monitors with a decent resolution and decent
    > refresh rate. I'm not terribly sure how much of this is dependent on the
    > monitor or the video card.
    >
    > By 'decent refresh rate' I mean 85 Hertz absolute minimum. Anything less
    > gives me migraines.
    >
    > Currently, using the onboard video, I can get 1024*768 resolution
    > without stooping to migraine inducing refresh rates. I'd like this
    > resolution for one monitor (minimum), and at least 1280*1024 (again,
    > without migraine inducing refresh rates) for the other.
    >
    > How much of this is dependent on the monitor, and how much is dependent
    > on the video card?
    >
    > I'm not doing anything at all that is graphic intensive.
    >
    > I'm looking at an
    > Albatron 64MB GeForce4 MX-440 TV Out - Low Profile
    > (http://pcu.co.nz/store/product.php?product=1114)
    > for $99
    > Is this likely to do the job for what I want, or do I need something
    > better/different?
    >
    > Any advice much appreciated.

    If I rember correctly You can no longer use 2 video cards in the one system,
    Windows 98 allowed this, but Windows 2000/XP doesnt. (We tryed this at work
    a few months back with no luck)

    Currently at work we have 3 AutoCad users running Dual monitor setups, they
    are all using Dual output Video cards. With our newer systems they are
    running low profile GeforceFX5200 cards. Basicly these are crap. (texture
    ripping and artifacts, even with the latest drivers) but the dual monitor
    support is very well done on the Nvidia cards.

    Overall, it's very worthwile and out CAD users would most likely go nuts if
    we took their dual setups away.
    Try and get 2 montors of the same size.

    Dodger, May 13, 2004
  8. Dodger wrote
    > If I rember correctly You can no longer use 2 video cards in the one

    system,
    > Windows 98 allowed this, but Windows 2000/XP doesnt. (We tryed this at

    work
    > a few months back with no luck)

    not meaning to be too abrupt, but you're wrong on both counts.
    my other home machine triple boots, linux/win2k/xp with two video cards...
    it handles them just fine under all three.

    > Basicly these are crap. (texture
    > ripping and artifacts, even with the latest drivers) but the dual monitor
    > support is very well done on the Nvidia cards.

    indeed, we use them at work.

    > Try and get 2 montors of the same size.

    and set at the same res too.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 13, 2004
  9. SomebodyElse

    Dodger Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_please.dave.net.nz> wrote in message
    > not meaning to be too abrupt, but you're wrong on both counts.
    > my other home machine triple boots, linux/win2k/xp with two video cards...
    > it handles them just fine under all three.

    Interesting,
    I've just done a few Googles and yep, looks like it does work.
    Maybe it's just the Dell systems we have that dont like 2 Video cards.?
    (Didn't spend to much time playing with it as it was easyer just to buy a
    card with dual outputs)

    Dodger, May 13, 2004