    on-board video and buy a dual-monitor video card?
    What about the size? Will it fit in this box?

    thanks

    Deck, Oct 2, 2004

  2. Deck

    Collector-NZ Guest

    Deck said the following on 2/10/2004 12:31:
    > hello,
    >
    > I got a shuttle-pc, those small box like pc.
    > And most of the components are on-board
    > including the video.However I want to have
    > another monitor connected to it. How do I do that ?
    > Is it simply buying a separate video card for that
    > second monitor? Or should I just bypass the
    > on-board video and buy a dual-monitor video card?
    > What about the size? Will it fit in this box?
    >
    > thanks

    Okay not sure about card size for your box but you can use a second card
    in conjunction with your onboard video (OS will dictate how easy dual
    monitor is XP is easy but others a bit more tricky)

    By far the best and easyiest solution from my own experiance is a dual
    out video card as it saves hassles about which is primary and secondary
    monitor, different colour gamma from the cards etc.

    Collector-NZ, Oct 2, 2004

  3. Collector-NZ wrote:
    > Okay not sure about card size for your box but you can use a second card
    > in conjunction with your onboard video (OS will dictate how easy dual
    > monitor is XP is easy but others a bit more tricky)

    This is not necessarily true... I know that my onboard video turns
    itself off when I insert either an AGP or PCI video card.

    From memory the shuttles have plenty of space for an AGP video card, so
    I'd just biff in a standard one... most have dual screens now, just ask
    when you buy it.

    > By far the best and easyiest solution from my own experiance is a dual
    > out video card as it saves hassles about which is primary and secondary
    > monitor, different colour gamma from the cards etc.

    errr, yeah.
    and thats a good reason to read posts from start to finish before
    replying. :)

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 2, 2004
  4. Deck

    Collector-NZ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 2/10/2004 12:48:
    > Collector-NZ wrote:
    >
    >> Okay not sure about card size for your box but you can use a second
    >> card in conjunction with your onboard video (OS will dictate how easy
    >> dual monitor is XP is easy but others a bit more tricky)

    > This is not necessarily true... I know that my onboard video turns
    > itself off when I insert either an AGP or PCI video card.
    >
    > From memory the shuttles have plenty of space for an AGP video card, so
    > I'd just biff in a standard one... most have dual screens now, just ask
    > when you buy it.
    >
    >> By far the best and easyiest solution from my own experiance is a dual
    >> out video card as it saves hassles about which is primary and
    >> secondary monitor, different colour gamma from the cards etc.

    > errr, yeah.
    > and thats a good reason to read posts from start to finish before
    > replying. :)

    No worry Dave, your not a target so to speak :cool:

    Collector-NZ, Oct 2, 2004
  5. Deck

    Steve Guest

    Deck wrote:
    > hello,
    >
    > I got a shuttle-pc, those small box like pc.
    > And most of the components are on-board
    > including the video.However I want to have
    > another monitor connected to it. How do I do that ?
    > Is it simply buying a separate video card for that
    > second monitor? Or should I just bypass the
    > on-board video and buy a dual-monitor video card?
    > What about the size? Will it fit in this box?
    >
    > thanks

    I use and amd based shuttle, which has no onboard video. However, a nice
    GeForce FX5200 picked up for $75 on trademe works fine.

    Cheers,

    Steve

    Steve, Oct 2, 2004
  6. Deck

    bAZZ Guest

    In article <cjl4hm$ah0$>, d says...
    > Deck wrote:
    > > hello,
    > >
    > > I got a shuttle-pc, those small box like pc.
    > > And most of the components are on-board
    > > including the video.However I want to have
    > > another monitor connected to it. How do I do that ?
    > > Is it simply buying a separate video card for that
    > > second monitor? Or should I just bypass the
    > > on-board video and buy a dual-monitor video card?
    > > What about the size? Will it fit in this box?
    > >
    > > thanks
    > >

    > I use and amd based shuttle, which has no onboard video. However, a nice
    > GeForce FX5200 picked up for $75 on trademe works fine.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Steve

    Harvey Normans have fx5500 (i think) for $99 this week. They similar ?

    bAZZ

    bAZZ, Oct 2, 2004
  7. Deck

    richard Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Collector-NZ wrote:
    >
    >> Okay not sure about card size for your box but you can use a second
    >> card in conjunction with your onboard video (OS will dictate how easy
    >> dual monitor is XP is easy but others a bit more tricky)

    > This is not necessarily true... I know that my onboard video turns
    > itself off when I insert either an AGP or PCI video card.
    >
    > From memory the shuttles have plenty of space for an AGP video card, so
    > I'd just biff in a standard one... most have dual screens now, just ask
    > when you buy it.

    No, they dont have plenty of room, the AGP is the rightmost slot looking from
    the back, so you are limited to cards that only occupy one slot. Grunty ones
    that use 2 slots wont fit. Also, there is a rail right above the slot meaning
    that a taller then normal card will not fit into the board. I have huge problems
    fitting my TV tuner into my shuttle because the card is about 1cm taller then
    the backplane is. I actually have to remove the whole drive assembly to get it
    in there.

    richard, Oct 2, 2004
  8. richard wrote:
    >> From memory the shuttles have plenty of space for an AGP video card,
    >> so I'd just biff in a standard one... most have dual screens now, just
    >> ask when you buy it.

    > No, they dont have plenty of room, the AGP is the rightmost slot looking
    > from the back, so you are limited to cards that only occupy one slot.

    two slots? shit have they gone back to doing that again... sorry, I tend
    to ignore them as I dont see the need.

    > Grunty ones that use 2 slots wont fit. Also, there is a rail right above
    > the slot meaning that a taller then normal card will not fit into the
    > board. I have huge problems fitting my TV tuner into my shuttle because
    > the card is about 1cm taller then the backplane is. I actually have to
    > remove the whole drive assembly to get it in there.

    what a pita...
    I guess if you feel like spending some more cash you could get a half
    height board :)

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 2, 2004
  9. Deck

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Collector-NZ wrote:
    > Deck said the following on 2/10/2004 12:31:
    >
    >> hello,
    >>
    >> I got a shuttle-pc, those small box like pc.
    >> And most of the components are on-board
    >> including the video.However I want to have
    >> another monitor connected to it. How do I do that ?
    >> Is it simply buying a separate video card for that
    >> second monitor? Or should I just bypass the
    >> on-board video and buy a dual-monitor video card?
    >> What about the size? Will it fit in this box?
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>

    > Okay not sure about card size for your box but you can use a second card
    > in conjunction with your onboard video (OS will dictate how easy dual
    > monitor is XP is easy but others a bit more tricky)
    >
    > By far the best and easyiest solution from my own experiance is a dual
    > out video card as it saves hassles about which is primary and secondary
    > monitor, different colour gamma from the cards etc.

    I have a Matrox G400, Dual Head in a PC, purchased in 1999. Best bit
    of hardware I think I have ever bought, no fans on the board, not a lot
    of memory but was great for general (no gaming) use + 2D CAD. The new
    version have more memory, power etc, but still no fans etc. , so are slim.

    And I am posting this here as there are too many missing articles in
    this thread

    Chris Mayhew, Oct 2, 2004
  10. Deck

    Deck Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > Deck wrote:
    > > hello,
    > >
    > > I got a shuttle-pc, those small box like pc.
    > > And most of the components are on-board
    > > including the video.However I want to have
    > > another monitor connected to it. How do I do that ?
    > > Is it simply buying a separate video card for that
    > > second monitor? Or should I just bypass the
    > > on-board video and buy a dual-monitor video card?
    > > What about the size? Will it fit in this box?
    > >
    > > thanks
    > >

    > I use and amd based shuttle, which has no onboard video. However, a nice
    > GeForce FX5200 picked up for $75 on trademe works fine.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Steve

    is it a standard height video card? and you were able to fit
    this inside the Shuttle-PC ?

    Deck, Oct 3, 2004
  11. Deck

    Steve Guest

    Deck wrote:
    > "Steve" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Deck wrote:
    >>
    >>>hello,
    >>>
    >>>I got a shuttle-pc, those small box like pc.
    >>>And most of the components are on-board
    >>>including the video.However I want to have
    >>>another monitor connected to it. How do I do that ?
    >>>Is it simply buying a separate video card for that
    >>>second monitor? Or should I just bypass the
    >>>on-board video and buy a dual-monitor video card?
    >>>What about the size? Will it fit in this box?
    >>>
    >>>thanks
    >>>

    >>I use and amd based shuttle, which has no onboard video. However, a nice
    >> GeForce FX5200 picked up for $75 on trademe works fine.
    >>
    >>Cheers,
    >>
    >>Steve

    > is it a standard height video card? and you were able to fit
    > this inside the Shuttle-PC ?

    Yes, and Yes. It's quite a bit bigger than the old single head card I
    had in there before. It was a bit fiddly, as there are quite a bit of
    cabling that it has to fit round, but it gets there in the end.

    Steve

    Steve, Oct 3, 2004
  12. Deck

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Collector-NZ wrote:

    > By far the best and easyiest solution from my own experiance is a dual
    > out video card as it saves hassles about which is primary and secondary
    > monitor, different colour gamma from the cards etc.

    Just a word about using two outputs (but DVI and VGA) on one card...

    my ATI 7500 DVI output (via DVI->VGA converter) is noticeably greener
    than the onboard VGA port. I have identical monitors, it doesn't matter
    which way round they are connected.

    While using the DVI output is a cheap workaround to achieve dual output,
    it this case it is a compromise. You'd probably be disappointed if you
    went out and spent good money on a second monitor.

    Once you start using multiple monitors you probably won't want to go
    back to just one.

    -=rjh=-, Oct 3, 2004
  13. Deck

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 10:00:44 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <Dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote:

    >richard wrote:
    >>> From memory the shuttles have plenty of space for an AGP video card,
    >>> so I'd just biff in a standard one... most have dual screens now, just
    >>> ask when you buy it.

    >> No, they dont have plenty of room, the AGP is the rightmost slot looking
    >> from the back, so you are limited to cards that only occupy one slot.

    >two slots? shit have they gone back to doing that again... sorry, I tend
    >to ignore them as I dont see the need.
    >
    >> Grunty ones that use 2 slots wont fit. Also, there is a rail right above
    >> the slot meaning that a taller then normal card will not fit into the
    >> board. I have huge problems fitting my TV tuner into my shuttle because
    >> the card is about 1cm taller then the backplane is. I actually have to
    >> remove the whole drive assembly to get it in there.

    >what a pita...
    >I guess if you feel like spending some more cash you could get a half
    >height board :)

    A Shuttle SN45G fits a Gigabyte Radeon 9600XT in there okay with a TV capture
    card parked up beside it. I've since taken it out and put it into another
    machine, and now have a GE Cube 9200SE in there. The 9200 only has a heatsink
    rather than a fan which keeps the shuttle nice and quiet. I use it as a PVR.

    So there is a bit of room in them. It's pretty tight though, but that's what
    they are designed for. If you want to put a massive passive cooler around your
    video card rather than use the fan it comes with then you'd be out of luck.

    Craig Shore, Oct 4, 2004