Dual monitor video card, which one?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Bazzer Smith, Jul 25, 2006.

  1. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    I am thinking of getting one of these as an alternative to a big monitor.

    However I am not familliar with video card jargon and I am baffled by
    them, it's like decyphering the enigma code reading about them.

    Anyway my current 'card' is a ATI Radeon Xpress 200G, what card
    would be suitable for me to run two monitors.

    I could go to Radeons sit and try to figure it out from there but
    I will probably die of old age before I understand all the goobledegook.

    For example here is mycard:-

    http://www.ati.com/products/radeonxpress200/specs.html

    I understand the first two lines of the spec the rest is b***ocks.

    How do I go from there to finding a duel version of the card?
    Is there a university course I could attend?

    I expect when I find out nobody wil sell it anyway.

    Bazzer Smith, Jul 25, 2006

  2. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    "Bazzer Smith" <> wrote in message
    >I am thinking of getting one of these as an alternative to a big monitor.
    >
    > However I am not familliar with video card jargon and I am baffled by
    > them, it's like decyphering the enigma code reading about them.
    >
    > Anyway my current 'card' is a ATI Radeon Xpress 200G, what card
    > would be suitable for me to run two monitors.
    >
    > I could go to Radeons sit and try to figure it out from there but
    > I will probably die of old age before I understand all the goobledegook.
    >
    > For example here is mycard:-
    >
    > http://www.ati.com/products/radeonxpress200/specs.html
    >
    > I understand the first two lines of the spec the rest is b***ocks.
    >

    > How do I go from there to finding a duel version of the card?
    > Is there a university course I could attend?
    >
    > I expect when I find out nobody wil sell it anyway.

    Hmmm but whats this?
    "SURROUNDVIEWT support for up to three monitors with an ATI discrete
    graphics card
    a.. Dual independent displays: CRT/LCD, TV/LCD "

    So what doee a that mean?

    Bazzer Smith, Jul 25, 2006

  3. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith, Jul 25, 2006
  4. Bazzer Smith

    Rod Speed Guest

    Bazzer Smith <> wrote:
    > I am thinking of getting one of these as an alternative to a big
    > monitor.
    > However I am not familliar with video card jargon and I am baffled by
    > them, it's like decyphering the enigma code reading about them.
    >
    > Anyway my current 'card' is a ATI Radeon Xpress 200G, what card
    > would be suitable for me to run two monitors.
    >
    > I could go to Radeons sit and try to figure it out from there but
    > I will probably die of old age before I understand all the
    > goobledegook.
    > For example here is mycard:-
    >
    > http://www.ati.com/products/radeonxpress200/specs.html
    >
    > I understand the first two lines of the spec the rest is b***ocks.

    Even you should have been able to find the block labelled

    Multiple Display Features
    Dual independent displays: CRT/LCD, TV/LCD

    |-)

    > How do I go from there to finding a duel version of the card?

    Its already a dual version. If you want a duel version,
    you will have to buy some swords or pistols etc.

    > Is there a university course I could attend?

    Nope, you're too stupid |-)

    > I expect when I find out nobody wil sell it anyway.

    You could cut to the chase and just hang yourself or sumfin |-)

    Rod Speed, Jul 25, 2006
  5. Bazzer Smith

    Rod Speed Guest

    Bazzer Smith <> wrote:
    > "Bazzer Smith" <> wrote in message
    >> I am thinking of getting one of these as an alternative to a big
    >> monitor. However I am not familliar with video card jargon and I am baffled by
    >> them, it's like decyphering the enigma code reading about them.
    >>
    >> Anyway my current 'card' is a ATI Radeon Xpress 200G, what card
    >> would be suitable for me to run two monitors.
    >>
    >> I could go to Radeons sit and try to figure it out from there but
    >> I will probably die of old age before I understand all the
    >> goobledegook. For example here is mycard:-
    >>
    >> http://www.ati.com/products/radeonxpress200/specs.html
    >>
    >> I understand the first two lines of the spec the rest is b***ocks.
    >>

    >> How do I go from there to finding a duel version of the card?
    >> Is there a university course I could attend?
    >>
    >> I expect when I find out nobody wil sell it anyway.

    > Hmmm but whats this?
    > "SURROUNDVIEWT support for up to three monitors with an ATI discrete
    > graphics card
    > a.. Dual independent displays: CRT/LCD, TV/LCD "
    >

    > So what doee a that mean?

    That it will do two monitors.

    Rod Speed, Jul 25, 2006
  6. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message
    > Bazzer Smith <> wrote:
    >> I am thinking of getting one of these as an alternative to a big
    >> monitor.
    >> However I am not familliar with video card jargon and I am baffled by
    >> them, it's like decyphering the enigma code reading about them.
    >>
    >> Anyway my current 'card' is a ATI Radeon Xpress 200G, what card
    >> would be suitable for me to run two monitors.
    >>
    >> I could go to Radeons sit and try to figure it out from there but
    >> I will probably die of old age before I understand all the
    >> goobledegook.
    >> For example here is mycard:-
    >>
    >> http://www.ati.com/products/radeonxpress200/specs.html
    >>
    >> I understand the first two lines of the spec the rest is b***ocks.

    > Even you should have been able to find the block labelled
    >
    > Multiple Display Features
    > Dual independent displays: CRT/LCD, TV/LCD
    >
    > |-)
    >
    >> How do I go from there to finding a duel version of the card?

    > Its already a dual version. If you want a duel version,
    > you will have to buy some swords or pistols etc.
    >
    >> Is there a university course I could attend?

    > Nope, you're too stupid |-)
    >
    >> I expect when I find out nobody wil sell it anyway.

    > You could cut to the chase and just hang yourself or sumfin |-)

    I wil take that as a "I don't know but I will pretend I do"

    Bazzer Smith, Jul 25, 2006
  7. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message
    > Bazzer Smith <> wrote:
    >> "Bazzer Smith" <> wrote in message
    >>> I am thinking of getting one of these as an alternative to a big
    >>> monitor. However I am not familliar with video card jargon and I am
    >>> baffled by
    >>> them, it's like decyphering the enigma code reading about them.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway my current 'card' is a ATI Radeon Xpress 200G, what card
    >>> would be suitable for me to run two monitors.
    >>>
    >>> I could go to Radeons sit and try to figure it out from there but
    >>> I will probably die of old age before I understand all the
    >>> goobledegook. For example here is mycard:-
    >>>
    >>> http://www.ati.com/products/radeonxpress200/specs.html
    >>>
    >>> I understand the first two lines of the spec the rest is b***ocks.
    >>>

    >>> How do I go from there to finding a duel version of the card?
    >>> Is there a university course I could attend?
    >>>
    >>> I expect when I find out nobody wil sell it anyway.

    >> Hmmm but whats this?
    >> "SURROUNDVIEWT support for up to three monitors with an ATI discrete
    >> graphics card
    >> a.. Dual independent displays: CRT/LCD, TV/LCD "
    >>

    >> So what doee a that mean?

    > That it will do two monitors.

    But there is only one connection for a monitor on the card so how will
    it manage that, Einstein?

    Bazzer Smith, Jul 25, 2006
  8. Bazzer Smith

    Paul Guest

    In article <7xwxg.46697$>, "Bazzer Smith"
    <> wrote:

    > I am thinking of getting one of these as an alternative to a big monitor.
    >
    > However I am not familliar with video card jargon and I am baffled by
    > them, it's like decyphering the enigma code reading about them.
    >
    > Anyway my current 'card' is a ATI Radeon Xpress 200G, what card
    > would be suitable for me to run two monitors.
    >
    > I could go to Radeons sit and try to figure it out from there but
    > I will probably die of old age before I understand all the goobledegook.
    >
    > For example here is mycard:-
    >
    > http://www.ati.com/products/radeonxpress200/specs.html
    >
    > I understand the first two lines of the spec the rest is b***ocks.
    >

    > How do I go from there to finding a duel version of the card?
    > Is there a university course I could attend?
    >
    > I expect when I find out nobody wil sell it anyway.

    If you look at page 8, the basic architecture of a modern video
    card is shown. (The PDF code on this page is complex and it will
    take a few seconds before the diagram on page 8, appears in
    acrobat reader.)

    http://www.ati.com/products/radeonx1k/whitepapers/X1000_Family_Technology_Overview_Whitepaper.pdf

    The two cores you see on the left of the picture, typically
    result in two entried in Device Manager. In a sense, it is
    like they are separate video cards, but contained within the
    one card.

    The output can be steered to the various output options.
    You could do two VGA analog displays, a VGA plus a TV (Svideo)
    display, VGA plus a DVI digital, and so on. I don't know if
    it is possible to do three displays at the same time, as there
    are only two "cores" on the left of the figure, to drive the
    outputs at a particular resolution choice.

    While I haven't found a similar figure for Nvidia cards, it
    is the same basic idea for them.

    Just make sure, when you buy a video card, that the
    connector types on the faceplate, are suited to your monitors.
    For example, if you have an expensive 30" LCD that requires
    dual-link DVI, then you'd want to shop pretty carefully for
    a card. If you have a couple of basic $300 1280x1024 LCDs,
    then a lot more cards with single-link DVI would be suitable.

    If a card has DVI-I connectors, the connector carries two interfaces
    on it. There are DVI-D pins, which is the digital component. A
    DVI-D LCD monitor can plug in there. The video card may also
    come with a DVI-I to VGA adapter, and the adapter just grabs
    the analog signals off the DVI-I connector and sends them to
    the 15 pin VGA connector. If you use VGA monitors, make sure the
    video card you buy, comes with the adapter dongle to convert a
    DVI-I connector to VGA.

    All manner of output connectors are available. On the cheapest
    cards, you might get s-video (TV), a DVI-I and a VGA. To drive
    two VGA monitors, you would need one DVI-I to VGA adapter in
    the package, to complete the job. Obviously, a card like that
    cannot drive two DVI-D LCDs.

    More expensive cards may have s-video (TV) plus two DVI-I
    connectors. You would need two DVI-I to VGA adapters in the
    package, in order to drive two VGA monitors. If driving two
    LCDs digitally, the two DVI connectors on that card would be
    ideal.

    For large monitors, you'll want to read up on dual-link DVI.
    Basically, more of the pins on the connector are populated,
    and the interface has double the bandwidth. (Dual-link does
    not mean two connectors - it is a doubling of bandwidth on
    a single connector, due to the connector having twice as many
    signals on it.) If you don't have a big monitor, then don't
    worry about this. Since dual-link typically requires some
    extra Silicon Image transmitter chips on the video card,
    don't expect to find dual-link interfaces on the cheapest
    of video cards. To drive two 30" monitors, you'd need
    a card with "dual dual-link connectors".

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-link_DVI

    When you get your new video card, there will usually be
    a little trick in the control panel, to enabling dual
    displays. So don't be surprised if the setup method is
    not clear to you. Generally, finding an ATI CCC.pdf or
    a Forceware User Manual, will make it clear as to what
    must be done.

    http://www.visiontek.com/teksupport/pdf/Catalyst_control_center_guide.pdf
    ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/84.12/84.12_Forceware_Display_Property_User_Guide.pdf

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Jul 25, 2006
  9. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > signals on it.) If you don't have a big monitor, then don't
    > worry about this. Since dual-link typically requires some
    > extra Silicon Image transmitter chips on the video card,
    > don't expect to find dual-link interfaces on the cheapest
    > of video cards. To drive two 30" monitors, you'd need
    > a card with "dual dual-link connectors".
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-link_DVI
    >
    > When you get your new video card, there will usually be
    > a little trick in the control panel, to enabling dual
    > displays. So don't be surprised if the setup method is
    > not clear to you. Generally, finding an ATI CCC.pdf or
    > a Forceware User Manual, will make it clear as to what
    > must be done.
    >
    > http://www.visiontek.com/teksupport/pdf/Catalyst_control_center_guide.pdf
    > ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/84.12/84.12_Forceware_Display_Property_User_Guide.pdf

    Oh so it's fairly straight forward them :O$

    I don't realy unsterstand any of that :O)

    I have a bog standard monitor and I want to add another.

    I don't really want to wade through thousands of pages of technical jargon
    as I am planning on adding a second monitor whilst I am still alive :O|

    Bazzer Smith, Jul 25, 2006
  10. Bazzer Smith

    Rod Speed Guest

    Bazzer Smith <> wrote
    > Rod Speed <> wrote
    >> Bazzer Smith <> wrote
    >>> Bazzer Smith <> wrote

    >>> Hmmm but whats this?
    >>> "SURROUNDVIEWT support for up to three monitors with an ATI discrete
    >>> graphics card
    >>> a.. Dual independent displays: CRT/LCD, TV/LCD "
    >>>

    >>> So what doee a that mean?

    >> That it will do two monitors.

    > But there is only one connection for a monitor on the card

    Where are you getting that from ?

    Rod Speed, Jul 26, 2006
  11. Bazzer Smith

    Rod Speed Guest

    Bazzer Smith <> wrote:
    > "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message
    >> Bazzer Smith <> wrote:
    >>> I am thinking of getting one of these as an alternative to a big
    >>> monitor.
    >>> However I am not familliar with video card jargon and I am baffled
    >>> by them, it's like decyphering the enigma code reading about them.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway my current 'card' is a ATI Radeon Xpress 200G, what card
    >>> would be suitable for me to run two monitors.
    >>>
    >>> I could go to Radeons sit and try to figure it out from there but
    >>> I will probably die of old age before I understand all the
    >>> goobledegook.
    >>> For example here is mycard:-
    >>>
    >>> http://www.ati.com/products/radeonxpress200/specs.html
    >>>
    >>> I understand the first two lines of the spec the rest is b***ocks.

    >> Even you should have been able to find the block labelled
    >>
    >> Multiple Display Features
    >> Dual independent displays: CRT/LCD, TV/LCD
    >>
    >>> -)

    >>> How do I go from there to finding a duel version of the card?

    >> Its already a dual version. If you want a duel version,
    >> you will have to buy some swords or pistols etc.
    >>
    >>> Is there a university course I could attend?

    >> Nope, you're too stupid |-)
    >>
    >>> I expect when I find out nobody wil sell it anyway.

    >> You could cut to the chase and just hang yourself or sumfin |-)

    > I wil take that as a "I don't know but I will pretend I do"

    You can take anything you like, anywhere you like.

    Rod Speed, Jul 26, 2006
  12. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message
    > Bazzer Smith <> wrote:
    >> "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message

    >>> Even you should have been able to find the block labelled
    >>>
    >>> Multiple Display Features
    >>> Dual independent displays: CRT/LCD, TV/LCD

    >>> Its already a dual version. If you want a duel version,
    >>> you will have to buy some swords or pistols etc.

    >>> Nope, you're too stupid |-)

    >>> You could cut to the chase and just hang yourself or sumfin |-)

    >> I wil take that as a "I don't know but I will pretend I do"

    > You can take anything you like, anywhere you like.

    True I have taken the question elsewhere where I am likely to
    get a proper answer. Thanks for your input anyway :O)

    Bazzer Smith, Jul 26, 2006
  13. Bazzer Smith

    Randy Guest

    That means it supports multiple monitors -- two monitor support is commonly
    called "Dual Head"

    Randy, Aug 7, 2006
  14. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    "Randy" <> wrote in message
    > That means it supports multiple monitors -- two monitor support is
    > commonly called "Dual Head"

    Any computer will support multiple monitoers if you buy the appropiate
    hardware and software.

    Bazzer Smith, Aug 7, 2006
  15. Bazzer Smith

    kony Guest

    On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 00:25:06 GMT, "Bazzer Smith"
    <> wrote:

    >I have an LCD :O)
    >
    >However it doesn't have a DVI connection it's the same as a the old one
    >on my CRT. Is that a prob?
    >I have a DVI to CRT converter though.

    pck920's suggestion was rather arbitrary, you don't need "2
    DVI or 1 DVI & VGA D-sub", you could use ANY two video
    outputs, including from two entirely different video cards,
    in either DVI or Analog and it'll work (though whether on
    the dual output card or two different cards, either way both
    cards must be supported for multimonitor output on your OS).

    Many (most?) cards with dual output where one is a DVI, have
    the DVI as DVI-I, meaning it also transmits the analog
    signal through that connector, thus allowing use of a DVI to
    D-sub 15 pin adapter to use an analog monitor driven from
    that card output. The DVI-I connector is distinguished by
    having (the) 4 pins as 2 horizontal rows above and below the
    flat blade contact on the connector.

    kony, Aug 8, 2006
  16. Bazzer Smith

    GrimJack808 Guest

    It took me awhile to figure out, but the Radeon Express 200 is a
    motherboard not a graphics card.

    I am assuming in this reply that your motherboard looks like this:

    http://tinyurl.com/rgmxz

    And only has a single video out and this video out is a VGA, meaning
    there is no DVI out on the board.

    In this case, you MUST purchase an extra video card to enable you to
    have multi monitor support.

    You can add any video card to a Windows XP box to get multi monitor
    support. But to use the unique features of Surroundview, you need to
    add a 9X00 video card. The X300 and up.

    Where some of the previous responders have made what must have seemed
    to you to have been puzzling responses I am assuming they assumed the
    Radeon x200 was a videocard. All newer video cards have two outs. (See
    here
    http://www.vtr-hardware.com/media/images/news/1/2864.jpg) One is
    usually VGA and the other is DVI (although sometimes they have both
    DVI). If you had a stand alone video card, you could just plug your
    second monitor into the unused output. Right click the desktop, go to
    settings and enable desktop extension. And you are in business. Since
    you only have one video out, doing this is impossible and nonsensical.

    Since you don't have a stand alone video card, you need to add one. Go
    to your local computer store and pick any one of the X00 series, come
    home, plug it into an open slot, plug in your monitor and you are in
    business.

    Here is a small tutorial on how to do this not with SurroundView:

    Take a look at ultramon.com for a good utility.

    Take a look here for a few examples of what adding a few extra video
    cards can enable you to do. Remember each video card supports 2
    monitors. Some actually support 4.

    http://www.seomoz.org/blogdetail.php?ID=930
    http://tinyurl.com/o9mln
    http://www.apple.com/science/profiles/hiperwall/
    http://digitaltigers.com/zenview.shtml

    Good Luck!
    $100 Free Party Poker Bankroll -OR- $50 Free Titan Poker Bankroll
    $100 Free Absolute Poker Bankroll
    No Deposit/No Credit Card (US & CANADA)
    http://www.pokersourceonline.com/freepoker/money.asp?rc=GRIMJACK808

    Extra $60-$90-$120 over & above normal bonus for 12 popular sites:
    http://www.pokersourceonline.com/pso.asp?rc=GRIMJACK808

    GrimJack808, Aug 20, 2006
  17. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    "GrimJack808" <> wrote in message
    > It took me awhile to figure out, but the Radeon Express 200 is a
    > motherboard not a graphics card.

    Well no it is not a motherboard, rather is an 'onboard grasphics'
    there are many different motherboards using radeon xpress 200
    chipset

    > I am assuming in this reply that your motherboard looks like this:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/rgmxz
    >
    > And only has a single video out and this video out is a VGA, meaning
    > there is no DVI out on the board.
    >
    > In this case, you MUST purchase an extra video card to enable you to
    > have multi monitor support.

    I realised this, you are sure I can use a single headed card, ie a card with
    just
    one place to connect a monitor (and use the motherboards connector
    for the other monitor?)

    > You can add any video card to a Windows XP box to get multi monitor
    > support. But to use the unique features of Surroundview, you need to
    > add a 9X00 video card. The X300 and up.

    That makes sense, 9X00 = X300 clear as a bell.

    > Where some of the previous responders have made what must have seemed
    > to you to have been puzzling responses I am assuming they assumed the
    > Radeon x200 was a videocard. All newer video cards have two outs. (See
    > here

    How will I know if it is 'newer' will it say 'newer' on the box.
    Or do you just mean any card which is newer than an older card.
    This means all but the frist ever video card.

    > http://www.vtr-hardware.com/media/images/news/1/2864.jpg) One is
    > usually VGA and the other is DVI (although sometimes they have both
    > DVI).

    Does that mean it will support two monitors or just that you can use either
    connector, but not at the same time?

    > If you had a stand alone video card, you could just plug your
    > second monitor into the unused output. Right click the desktop, go to
    > settings and enable desktop extension. And you are in business. Since
    > you only have one video out, doing this is impossible and nonsensical.
    >
    > Since you don't have a stand alone video card, you need to add one. Go
    > to your local computer store and pick any one of the X00 series, come
    > home, plug it into an open slot, plug in your monitor and you are in
    > business.
    >
    > Here is a small tutorial on how to do this not with SurroundView:
    >
    > http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000217.html
    >
    > Take a look at ultramon.com for a good utility.
    >
    > Take a look here for a few examples of what adding a few extra video
    > cards can enable you to do. Remember each video card supports 2
    > monitors. Some actually support 4.
    >
    > http://www.seomoz.org/blogdetail.php?ID=930
    > http://tinyurl.com/o9mln
    > http://www.apple.com/science/profiles/hiperwall/
    > http://digitaltigers.com/zenview.shtml
    >
    > Good Luck!

    Thanks, it's just a question of me finding the right card at the right price
    available locally, unfortunately I have no AGP slot which excludes a lot of
    options. I have PCI and PCI-Express.
    I think I have located the card I want,I just hope the shop has one in
    stock.

    Bazzer Smith, Aug 20, 2006