    8600 laptop. When I boot up into Unix my Dell 20" is not seen and remains
    black. How do I configure Unix for my dual monitor setup. My video card is
    NVIDIA FX Go5200

    don, Dec 27, 2007

  2. don

    chuckcar Guest

    "don" <> wrote in news:fl088j$hl6$:

    > I have a dual boot setup between WinXP and Debian Unix on my Dell
    > Inspiron 8600 laptop. When I boot up into Unix my Dell 20" is not seen
    > and remains black. How do I configure Unix for my dual monitor setup.
    > My video card is NVIDIA FX Go5200

    X or console? with X try reading XF86Config(1) or XF86Config(5) or
    alternatively:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XF86Config
    or

    http://www.xfree86.org/current/manindex1.html

    For *all* the manpages. Note: your version may very well be older, so a
    man <foo> in a console or xterm would always be a better way.

    Using two monitors in console is pointless as you can switch between 6
    virtual text consoles and one graphic one.

    BTW in X, you can scroll in any direction. Your desktop is not limited
    to the physical size of the screen. I have an old machine with a simple
    8Meg non-accelerated card, and I have a screensize of 1024x768 down to
    400x384, desktop size of 1280x1024 and 12 desktops. Any or all of which
    can have windows open in them. All of these run in 256 colours. I say
    this because unless you are running a fullscreen graphics application
    (read game)at the same time and want to see both at once the reasons for
    more than one graphics card becomes become virtually non-existant.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Dec 27, 2007

  3. don

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 08:10:47 -0500, don wrote:

    That will be Debian Linux then?

    Assuming v4 Etch, so that will be xorg and not xf86config? (xorg
    replaced xf86)

    If xorg then
    http://www.x.org/wiki/

    >I have a dual boot setup between WinXP and Debian Unix on my Dell Inspiron
    >8600 laptop. When I boot up into Unix my Dell 20" is not seen and remains
    >black. How do I configure Unix for my dual monitor setup. My video card is
    >NVIDIA FX Go5200

    Don't forget the Dell specific support / user forums, since your machine
    is well a Dell.
    http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/corp/en/community?c=us&l=en&s=gen
    well you didn't, helps to say so.
    http://www.dellcommunity.com/suppor...id=sw_linux&message.id=12897&~ref=crss#M12897
    dif you however search for linux dual monitor, there are 9 pages of
    hits.

    Surprise you aren't the first to ask.

    www.google.com
    debian dual monitor
    Results 1 - 10 of about 378,000 English pages for
    debian dual monitor
    .. (0.29 seconds)

    http://www.google.com/search?q=debian dual monitor

    Lots of linux and debian based forums to read the existing same
    questions / answers. Several mantion Dell and nVidia together.

    Add nvidia to the search
    Results 1 - 10 of about 29,300 English pages for
    debian dual monitor nvidia
    .. (0.31 seconds)

    Already less than 1/10th the size,

    then try dell

    Results 1 - 10 of about 23,000 English pages for
    debian dual monitor dell nvidia
    .. (0.30 seconds)

    then add inspirion

    Results 1 - 10 of about 3,840 English pages for
    debian dual monitor dell inspiron nvidia
    .. (0.27 seconds)

    http://www.google.com/search?q=debian dual monitor dell inspiron nvidia

    Easy.

    Me

    why?, Dec 27, 2007
  4. don

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 17:02:18 +0100 (CET), chuckcar wrote:

    >"don" <> wrote in news:fl088j$hl6$:
    >
    >> I have a dual boot setup between WinXP and Debian Unix on my Dell
    >> Inspiron 8600 laptop. When I boot up into Unix my Dell 20" is not seen
    >> and remains black. How do I configure Unix for my dual monitor setup.
    >> My video card is NVIDIA FX Go5200
    >>

    >X or console? with X try reading XF86Config(1) or XF86Config(5) or
    >alternatively:

    XF86 was replaced the last few releases with xorg.

    Sadly OP didn't mention version of OS.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Dec 27, 2007
  5. don

    chuckcar Guest

    why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in

    > On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 17:02:18 +0100 (CET), chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >>"don" <> wrote in news:fl088j$hl6$:
    >>
    >>> I have a dual boot setup between WinXP and Debian Unix on my Dell
    >>> Inspiron 8600 laptop. When I boot up into Unix my Dell 20" is not
    >>> seen and remains black. How do I configure Unix for my dual monitor
    >>> setup. My video card is NVIDIA FX Go5200
    >>>

    >>X or console? with X try reading XF86Config(1) or XF86Config(5) or
    >>alternatively:

    > XF86 was replaced the last few releases with xorg.
    >
    > Sadly OP didn't mention version of OS.
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > Me

    Doesn't matter if the OP uses his own manpages.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Dec 27, 2007
  6. don

    don Guest

    I'm using Debian 4. etched
    THanks for the links.... I did post to a dell support forum but after 25
    viewers, nobody replied.

    don, Dec 27, 2007
  7. don

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 21:51:53 +0100 (CET), chuckcar wrote:

    >why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in

    >>>X or console? with X try reading XF86Config(1) or XF86Config(5) or
    >>>alternatively:

    >> XF86 was replaced the last few releases with xorg.
    >>
    >> Sadly OP didn't mention version of OS.
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> Me

    >Doesn't matter if the OP uses his own manpages.

    Haven't tried man xf86config on the Deb Etch box, expect it would be
    linked to xorg. Will try. :)

    Me

    why?, Dec 27, 2007
  8. don

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 17:00:52 -0500, don wrote:

    >I'm using Debian 4. etched
    >THanks for the links.... I did post to a dell support forum but after 25
    >viewers, nobody replied.

    You could have snipped a bit of the post.

    >> On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 08:10:47 -0500, don wrote:
    >>
    >> That will be Debian Linux then?
    >>
    >> Assuming v4 Etch, so that will be xorg and not xf86config? (xorg
    >> replaced xf86)
    >>
    >> If xorg then
    >> http://www.x.org/wiki/

    <snip>